Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552183 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1140 on: September 21, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »

Hahaha so I funally figured out why the video card isn't working. Because it wasn't the video card.

New MOBO on the way from newegg now.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 22, 2014, 12:34:42 pm »

Bad slot?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 22, 2014, 07:35:05 pm »

Yep, and it was the only slot. So time to learn how to install a MoBo yay!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 23, 2014, 12:06:57 am »

Hope all your old stuff fits on the new mobo. You did check the processor socket, right? Of course you did. Right?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 23, 2014, 12:30:49 am »

Yep, it's an LD-1155 or summat, the L and the 1155 are right. My Radioshack is like the most helpful place on earth.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 23, 2014, 05:47:01 pm »

Is there a way to make programs default to looking in their own directory for files? I prefer self-contained organization (as an example, my DnD folder (with all the images I use for Maptool) is in C:\Games\DnD, with TokenTool in C:\Games\DND\Tokentool) to having everything throwing everything in Documents for the sake of portability and having it look neater. I assume that it's some Windows default setting to have everything look in "C:\Users\User\Documents" first, is there a way I can just change it to "\" (look in the folder you're in) or ".." (look one folder up)? Windows 7.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 23, 2014, 07:28:26 pm »

Wonderful. Going to be taking it back to radioshack, but is there a reason for a mobo to show signs of power and not actually respond to the power switch? I'm positive I had everything plugged in, but the bottom row of stuff was hard for me to decipher.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 23, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »

Is there a way to make programs default to looking in their own directory for files? I prefer self-contained organization (as an example, my DnD folder (with all the images I use for Maptool) is in C:\Games\DnD, with TokenTool in C:\Games\DND\Tokentool) to having everything throwing everything in Documents for the sake of portability and having it look neater. I assume that it's some Windows default setting to have everything look in "C:\Users\User\Documents" first, is there a way I can just change it to "\" (look in the folder you're in) or ".." (look one folder up)? Windows 7.
Really depends on the programs that you are using. Each program will be coded to look in specific places for things, and if they don't find them there they will freak. Some programs let you change those places, but many do not (or already just look where they are installed). There isn't any sort of "generic setting for all programs" though, so if that's what you were hoping for you are out of luck.

That said a fair number of programs automatically look in the files they are in, so unless it made another folder somewhere else it should be fine just dragging it to it's new location.

(Unless you are talking about the "open a file" window, which is a completely different story.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 23, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »

MOre and more programs, especially java coded ones, are using the generic "Open" and "Save File As" windows interfaces.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 24, 2014, 02:25:16 am »

That said a fair number of programs automatically look in the files they are in, so unless it made another folder somewhere else it should be fine just dragging it to it's new location.
I was under the impression that this was not the case these days with the programs folders on Windows having more restrictive file permissions.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 24, 2014, 04:15:15 am »

Wonderful. Going to be taking it back to radioshack, but is there a reason for a mobo to show signs of power and not actually respond to the power switch? I'm positive I had everything plugged in, but the bottom row of stuff was hard for me to decipher.

It probably means that you haven't plugged the power switch in correctly. Those pin headers are a pain to work out, sometimes.

What model's the motherboard? We might be able to help.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 24, 2014, 04:48:57 am »

piiiiins

last time i took the mobo out it took me so long to get the pins right that i were close to shouting what people in infomercials do, at least i had the pin box layout device printed out underneath it in font so small i had to take a picture of it with eightfold zoom to see them worth a damn

that's just random whining though, my issue is that select programs (f.ex. firefox, byond, others) take aeons to start up as in at all

malwarebytes in safemode gave nothing, though for some reason flicking the network card on and off makes firefox start on an at all basis and then it works fine? mysterious shit, i'll give more data once i get home

oh, and the os is win8 32bit, it's not my own rig so

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 24, 2014, 09:35:13 am »

The only ones you *really* need are the power switch, maaybe the reset switch if you use it much.  The disk drive activity lights are a bit nice to stare at while waiting for stuff to happen but aren't needed for the drives to work.

The MOST important one when you're putting together a PC is the speaker connection - hook up a speaker (piezo speaker is like $1-$2 on ebay search "motherboard speaker") and you can hear the boot "beep codes" - this can VERY often point right to why a PC won't boot.   I really really really REALLY recommend everyone putting together a PC (or even working on one much) installs one of these, it has the potential to fix that "uhh why won't it boot" immediately.  And you really only ever need to buy 1 in your entire life, just keep stealing it back whenever you get rid of that pc, attach it to the next.

but is there a reason for a mobo to show signs of power and not actually respond to the power switch?
Please give more description of exactly what happens:  Do the motherboard lights come on?   Does the cpu fan start?  Does it stay on?

Make SURE the memory and video card are really seated firmly, especially the memory takes a lot more force than you'd reasonably expect.  Sometimes I put it in before mounting the motherboard because I don't like how much the motherboard flexes while doing it.  Or slide a wooden dowel under the mobo to support it under the memory while inserting.

And you attached the 4 pin power cable above the CPU right?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 24, 2014, 02:00:50 pm »

Any good(and free) program that can download Flash videos and games, preferably one that integrates into Chrome and isn't blocked by avast! so often that avast! stops asking me if I want to allow it and blocks it regardless? I need to replace Orbit, avast! seems to have declared war on that program.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 24, 2014, 07:24:46 pm »

...Okay. I'm pretty sure I had the power button plugged into the wrong switch then. It was called a "Front Panel" switch and I think it mentioned audio some something or another. Bleh. It was in around the same space as my other mobo's power pins, and WOO GUESSING. But yeah. I put back my old mobo, which I'm glad still works, because I had just left it in a cardboard box.

It's an Acer H61M-E mobo, a little smaller than I thought, heh. I had to swap around the SATA cables for my HDD and DVD-drive so the inlines plugged into the motherboard for my graphics card to even fit right.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 350