Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552175 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1020 on: August 14, 2014, 05:39:01 am »

Windows 8 can mount ISOs natively, so I use that :)

(Windows 7 added the ability to burn ISOs natively I think, I don't know if it can create ISOs natively yet)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:41:56 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 14, 2014, 06:40:09 am »

I use Daemon tools because it was the first x64 one out there, and I stuck with it.

You do have to deselect a bunch of adware in the install, though.
Even if you deselect all the adware, it still drops some.
Don't use Daemon tools.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:09 am »

What are people using to mount ISO files these days? I'm mainly looking to reinstall Warcraft 3 and the expansion using my (legitimate) ISO files and CD keys that I have had for years, mainly for the feeling of nostalgia and trying to recall details of things from old maps for use in the new Source 2 engine via DotA 2.

I previously used Daemon Tools Lite, but from what I hear they are plagued with malware, adware and spyware on install, so I'm loathe to install it on my month fresh computer after a reformat.

WinCDEmu it is FOSS, so it satisfies my inner Richard Stallman. Also Daemon Tools is bloatware since the Chinese bought it out.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 14, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »

What are people using to mount ISO files these days? I'm mainly looking to reinstall Warcraft 3 and the expansion using my (legitimate) ISO files and CD keys that I have had for years, mainly for the feeling of nostalgia and trying to recall details of things from old maps for use in the new Source 2 engine via DotA 2.

I previously used Daemon Tools Lite, but from what I hear they are plagued with malware, adware and spyware on install, so I'm loathe to install it on my month fresh computer after a reformat.

WinCDEmu it is FOSS, so it satisfies my inner Richard Stallman. Also Daemon Tools is bloatware since the Chinese bought it out.
Jesus they need to hire a new web designer, that website looked so fake i swear it was trying to install adware XD

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 14, 2014, 09:14:23 pm »

Gizmo is pretty amazing, and easy to use, to boot.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 15, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »

I remember a friend saying nice things about SlySoft, using their non-freeware products such as Game Jackal, and it did very well installing Warcraft 3. It's like what Daemon Tools Lite should have been in the first place.

I tried taking a look at Microsoft's own Virtual CD Panel, which according to their website works on Windows 7, but I couldn't get it to work.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 15, 2014, 07:19:05 pm »

might be something software-shaped

i recommend you get yourself one of these devices and check if there's a specific address corresponding to the web use spike

if there is, you can probably track down the application responsible

if isn't, it's probably hardware but i can't be 100% sure

So yeah, my brother's browser doesn't like programs intercepting his web traffic or something to that effect.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 17, 2014, 01:35:08 am »

So I was thinking of this one. It's refurbished, so you know, that's a minus, but otherwise, I think it'll last me at least the four years of university...?
My brother bought that for a laptop, its ok just never expect recent AAA games to run. I would actually hold off for a bit cause AMD is releasing their new line of APUs at the moment for laptops. Maybe you can snag some newer tech.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 17, 2014, 12:24:31 pm »

So I was thinking of this one. It's refurbished, so you know, that's a minus, but otherwise, I think it'll last me at least the four years of university...?
My brother bought that for a laptop, its ok just never expect recent AAA games to run. I would actually hold off for a bit cause AMD is releasing their new line of APUs at the moment for laptops. Maybe you can snag some newer tech.
You realize I'm on a budget, yes?

So if I can get something of that level for that price, it's better.

Or else I would get something else, probably lower quality, at 400, 500 dollars.

I would not be able to afford a new computer at the same level with a new AMD.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:26:47 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 17, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »

Well yea i assume its still gotta fit your budget but I'm also assuming you can get more performance with the same price depending on the release.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 17, 2014, 01:11:16 pm »

Well, that is both a refurbished laptop, and also (I think) on sale (though the sale-price might be because it's refurbished). So any new laptop of equal or greater levels would be more expensive.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:03 pm »

New parts coming out means people trading up for new tech. People trading up for new tech means that their gear gets cleaned up, fixed up, and sold as refurbished. In other words, you might be seeing better refurbs coming down the pipe soon for similar price.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1033 on: August 19, 2014, 05:36:11 am »

I'm here with a new question. Been searching the web for a while and trying different things but results were inconclusive. So I'd like to know: what is the best router traffic monitoring software out there? CAN I even get one for FREE?

The problem I'm having is a ridiculous and currently unexplained slow-downs all members of our household have been experiencing over the past week. There have been some troubles for a month or so, but never so noticeable. It basically every second, every day sometimes that at random and for random times our net just becomes incredibly sluggish, like some of us would run a torrent program but without any set limits. Such programs are used regulary, but we have agreed on each user setting certain limits...

I was mucking around with WireShark, but as I understand it that single-computer only. Tried to tackle PRTG but I find it extremely confusing. Also found NetFlow but I dunno, all this sites seem somehow... ad-aware-y. Might just be paranoid. Also tried logging on router directly, but offers no traffic monitoring tool nor did I find any firmware upgrade for it.

So anyways - should I stick with PRTG some more? Or what? Btw, I'm running Vista.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 19, 2014, 09:42:03 am »

Monitoring the router traffic unsurprisingly requires the router to provide that ability. If you have a normal home router, you quite simply can't.

Have you tried rebooting the router when it happens? Simple home routers can be overloaded by the number of connections involved in bittorrent (or if they're terrible, normal use) and they won't recover until the connections expire, potentially hours later (even if the connections are closed).
I used to have a belkin router that had to be rebooted every 12 hours to function normally...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:43:36 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 350