Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552434 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #870 on: July 15, 2014, 12:23:52 am »

Oh god Thermaltake cases, their fans are quiet but the cases are complete junk >__>

Netgear gigabit card is old and expensive, advised going with the cheaper PCIE compatible Intel NIC cards.

As for your CPU upgrade theres no point going to the extreme models if you are not going for a Hexacore cpu, advise staying with at most a i7-4790K with corresponding Z97 motherboard.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 15, 2014, 12:28:53 am »

For graphics, I think you might be better off getting an R7 instead of the GTX560 you're looking at.

Now, if you're not planning to do overclocking (at all), then the liquid cooler is overkill. You could either stick with the stock cooler, or get an air cooler which will provide the same cooling for cheaper.

I also realised that you didn't include a spinning disk HDD in your build. Is that intentional?

And I'll echo what Tell mentioned about the network card. It's quite likely that the built in stuff for your motherboard will be enough..
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:24 am »

Note: I already own the 560. And the power supply.

There is a spinning disc hard drive in the plan - it's a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (I probably will never need this much, but it's actually fairly cheap). Might've accidentally deleted that line when I was cleaning up what I copy/pasted over.

Thanks for catching the wired adapter as not needed - that's nixed.

The 4790K is actually more expensive (and more powerful, from what I can tell) than the 4820K - and those hexacores would put me way overbudget. And on the motherboard, do you mean X79? Like the one I listed?

What's wrong with Thermaltake cases?

And yeah, I'll ditch the liquid cooler. The stock cooler that comes with the i5 2550K (if I stay with i5) should do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:07:51 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 15, 2014, 01:17:50 am »

Note: I already own the 560. And the power supply.

There is a spinning disc hard drive in the plan - it's a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (I probably will never need this much, but it's actually fairly cheap). Might've accidentally deleted that line when I was cleaning up what I copy/pasted over.

-snip-

The 4790K is actually more expensive (and more powerful, from what I can tell) than the 4820K - and those hexacores would put me way overbudget. And on the motherboard, do you mean X79? Like the one I listed?

-snip-

And yeah, I'll ditch the liquid cooler. The stock cooler that comes with the i5 2550K (if I stay with i5) should do.
Ah. That power supply looks ok, and I think since you're not buying the 560 it should serve you for the next.. year I think? I'd speculate that it'll be the first part you'll be looking to upgrade later on.

Your current spinning disk HDD should be fine, no problems there.

The 4790K uses an LGA1155 socket, and thus cannot fit the LGA1150 socket in the motherboard you listed above - you'll have to get a motherboard with the right socket, hence Tell suggesting a Z97 mobo. Also, the 4790K is the latest generation (Devil's Canyon) processor, which makes it more expensive.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 15, 2014, 01:26:11 am »

Reason why i picked the newer generation was the fact they come with TSX instruction support so for any type of heavily threaded software they can support it. the X79 Motherboard platform is aimed for enthusiasts and people with money to blow. It would be a waste to put in a quadcore and be a generation behind. You also go for a i5-4690K which is also the newest generation CPU just a 100 dollars cheaper.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 15, 2014, 01:38:54 am »

I'll say it now, I do not have money to blow. Maximum I can go with this thing is ~$1400, and I'd like very much not to hit that.

And I'd been looking at chips without integrated graphics specifically (had a bad experience with that on this computer), which seems to be why I missed the i5-4690K. Also, my resource is telling me that the i7-4790K uses a LGA1150. And, of course, the Intel page on it doesn't say.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:57:37 am by PyroDesu »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 15, 2014, 02:18:25 am »

And I'd been looking at chips without integrated graphics specifically (had a bad experience with that on this computer), which seems to be why I missed the i5-4690K. Also, my resource is telling me that the i7-4790K uses a LGA1150. And, of course, the Intel page on it doesn't say.
Sorry, I got that ass backwards. You're right, the i7-4790K uses LGA1150. The mobo you listed above uses LGA1155. Either way, they're incompatible..

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 15, 2014, 06:45:18 am »

Couple quick notes:
If you're splashing out $1100,  might as well spend another $50 and get a 24" monitor, it really does make a HUGE difference.

Make sure you get the OS through MS student program, you should be able to save a few bucks

Yuck on the PSU, IMO, at LEAST look for one with 80PLUS certification, something like Corsair or even Rosewill if you don't want to spend the money to get a top brand like a Seasonic. Even a Seasonic is only $70 or so if you get the one that's on sale at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151137 although there are usually *way* better sales if you can wait a little.  The newegg reviews on that TR2 are not so great...

And yea, looks like the i5-4690k is about the same price as the i5-2550k, but should get at least 15% better base performance.  I don't know how the OC compares though.  Note that the 4690k is a LGA1150 socket.

If you're not gonna OC you *really* don't need the liquid cooling, stock will be fine.  Wait for a sale and catch a Hyper212 for $20 and that will take you pretty far.

Do you live in/near a city with a Microcenter?   They have pretty good in-store-only CPU+mobo bundle pricing, worth checking out.  For example the i5-4690k is $200 + say Asrock Z97 Extreme4 $104 = $305,  lots of other mobo choices.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 15, 2014, 08:19:18 am »

Oooh, seconding the Hyper 212 air cooler recommendation. It's a pretty solid air cooler, but a word of warning: it's pretty bulky - had to remove the side fan from my case to fit the Hyper 212 in.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:24 am »

I wouldn't know, monitor-wise, but do keep in mind - tiny dorm shared with another person.

Microsoft doesn't appear to sell Windows 7 itself anymore, student program or no - all I saw was upgrade packs for 8 (8.1, whatever).

I'm not actually sure whether the listed PSU is the same - and I can't be until I unmount the thing from this computer (some idiot threw away the packaging and other materials, it seems. And the information sticker, if there is one, is on the side that faces away from the access panel).

And yeah, looks like I will go for the i5-4690K, if I don't go i7 (though I still don't like having a chip with integrated graphics, me having my own card notwithstanding). Looking for a motherboard, again, is irritating, though.

Already ditched the liquid cooling.

Nearest Microcenter to me is in Atlanta (which is in another state from me entirely). Not happening.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:06 am »

ROAD TRIP!   Yeah  not worth it for just one system :(  Although if your parents or whatever do live near one, you can reserve and even pay for the stuff online and all they have to do is pick it up and ship it to you.  Yeah shipping will kill a lot of the savings and returns/exchanges would be a hassle, oh well.

Ahh you're saying you have that PSU already?  If so then yeaaaaah, it wouldn't be a crime against humanity if you used it for a while.  Make a note to shop sales hard though, especially around Black Friday.

And you have the graphics card too?   'cause it would be interesting to see how far you could get with just the integrated graphics - I bet pretty far for daily use and non-uber games, they've come a long way.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:23 am »

ROAD TRIP!   Yeah  not worth it for just one system :(  Although if your parents or whatever do live near one, you can reserve and even pay for the stuff online and all they have to do is pick it up and ship it to you.  Yeah shipping will kill a lot of the savings and returns/exchanges would be a hassle, oh well.

Ahh you're saying you have that PSU already?  If so then yeaaaaah, it wouldn't be a crime against humanity if you used it for a while.  Make a note to shop sales hard though, especially around Black Friday.

And you have the graphics card too?   'cause it would be interesting to see how far you could get with just the integrated graphics - I bet pretty far for daily use and non-uber games, they've come a long way.

I recall using the integrated graphics on this thing.

I already own a video card for good reason. And the integrated stuff still pesters me - I'm not sure if all the software for it is gone, despite my combing through.

Also, how does a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI motherboard sound for the i5-4690K?

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 15, 2014, 10:08:33 am »

@gigaraptor: Have you tried going into Device Manager to disable the device and/or roll back the drivers?

Irritatingly enough it doesn't show up, and I am unwilling to plug it in again after it caused a blue screen (also doesn't help it is in a skip at the moment). Also, I managed to locate the background processes it was running for it, disable and deleted their exes and my machine is essentially running at the same speed it was before without fault. This sys files are another issue however but they don't appear to be causing any noticable problems.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 15, 2014, 10:59:53 am »

@gigaraptor: Have you tried going into Device Manager to disable the device and/or roll back the drivers?

Irritatingly enough it doesn't show up, and I am unwilling to plug it in again after it caused a blue screen (also doesn't help it is in a skip at the moment). Also, I managed to locate the background processes it was running for it, disable and deleted their exes and my machine is essentially running at the same speed it was before without fault. This sys files are another issue however but they don't appear to be causing any noticable problems.
Hopefully that works for you then :)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:34 am »

i5-4690k is the Devil's Canyon release so it has about the same OC capability as the old Sandy Bridges. Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI should be a good enough board.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 350