Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552512 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #780 on: June 09, 2014, 08:23:01 am »

Does the issue appear at all times or only when trying to run games?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 10, 2014, 04:20:46 pm »

The issue only appears when the card is under load, yes. I've yet to try fiddling with any clock settings or the like, and I also haven't investigated drivers any further since the internet has been down. I'll be tinkering with it a little more now that it's back up.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 11, 2014, 02:56:04 am »

I borked the settings on my graphic driver somehow. Figure I'll just reset the settings but it seems I need me a catalyst control centre for that, wich for some reason I don't have installed. Must've accidently removed said software whilst cleaning up, and I can't for the life of me find out how to download just the control centre. I suppose I could uninstall and reinstall the same driver with ccc included, not that I'd really need it at that point.

What do?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 11, 2014, 07:21:15 am »

Just download the most recent Catalyst Control Centre from ATI's website, really. Updating your drivers is never bad.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 11, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »

So, I did some more research on the video card issue:
-Actually, it does have problems when just hanging around in windows/firefox after a while, where it flickers to black, and later artifacts occur and the whole system crashes.
-My PSU provides 41A along the 12v rail.
-The CPU has a requirement of 100 watts and the video card has a power consumption of up to 150 watts. I think this means that those two components on the 12v rail have a requirement of 250 watts/ 12 volts = 20.83 amps?
-The video card has a P4 connector, not sure if that changes anything.
-The computer has a single hard drive, disc drive and network card, which shouldn't consume obscene amounts of excess power.

So, either my math is wrong (please do correct me) or this thing should not be suffering power issues.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 11, 2014, 05:24:40 pm »

Are you going by rated power or did you get a meter and check. Your PSU is probably not giving out what it says on the label. Save for the highest quality brands, they rarely do.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 11, 2014, 07:18:06 pm »

That's rated, I don't have a meter. However, if that math is correct, I've got lots of headroom.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:52 pm »

Yea he still has alot of headroom, my only other option is scrub the drivers reinstall and start running Furmark. If thats fucking up then he has a cooling problem.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 12, 2014, 07:57:37 pm »

So, I did some more research on the video card issue:
-Actually, it does have problems when just hanging around in windows/firefox after a while, where it flickers to black, and later artifacts occur and the whole system crashes.

I used to have a graphics card that did this to me, but only during intense gaming sessions.  It was usually brought on by overheating due to poor ventilation, ended up getting a new case and a new graphics card.

I also had a computer where it had power issues, but it didn't do anything like artifact-ing on me while I was playing, everything just suddenly didn't have enough power and the whole system would reboot while I was doing something strenuous.

My history with this stuff says it's overheating, not PSU issues, but before you go replacing the graphics card/case it's always good to check if it's a driver issue.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 12, 2014, 08:36:22 pm »

Dedicated Video RAM in the BIOS on an Asus Desktop. How do I increase it?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 12, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »

Are you talking about the integrated graphics?

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 12, 2014, 09:02:16 pm »

Are you talking about the integrated graphics?
Yes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 13, 2014, 05:20:50 am »

Even though most cards shut off when you overheat them, it still causes damage over time. The card in my old laptop was dying, in the end it would crash (including weird red flickery artifacts) when Aero was turned on.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 15, 2014, 08:45:34 am »

Are you sure its a p4 connector on the gpu and not a 6 or 8 pin pcie power connector?

A P4 connector is for powering the cpu.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 15, 2014, 03:11:25 pm »

Are you sure its a p4 connector on the gpu and not a 6 or 8 pin pcie power connector?

A P4 connector is for powering the cpu.
Well correction, it is a 6-pin. My derp. I had the right thing plugged into it though. Like I said, I ran a 7770 on this computer successfully, which basically the same card at a lower clock rate.

I'm quite confident it's not power, or drivers, and as it stands I've ordered an R7 260x (which is basically a re-branded version of the 7790 card I already have), as a replacement. I'll get back to you on how well it works.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 350