Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553394 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #570 on: February 05, 2014, 06:48:23 pm »

How do you check if a graphics card is compatible with a computer setup?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 05, 2014, 07:36:39 pm »

Mostly 3 things.

Check the slot is compatible, agp, pci express etc etc..

You have a big enough power supply to power it, will be listed on a sticker on it.

Make sure it will fit in the case if getting a huge card or have a tiny case.

Also although it wont affect the thing working, its worth checking the card isnt overkill.  No point sticking a $700 card into a $50 2005 cpu computer or etc etc as a weak cpu would never be able to feed a huge card properly and will end up not being used to full potential.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:38:49 pm by foil »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 05, 2014, 07:56:53 pm »

Almost all graphics cards use PCIe, which should be on your motherboard unless it's incredibly old or a specialized workstation motherboard. You'll also need to be sure you have enough power. It's pretty uncommon for a graphics card to not even work with a given PC.

Of course, if your graphics card is way more powerful than your CPU, like Foil said, it will be bottlenecked and you won't get your money's worth out of it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:41 pm »

There's more than one kind of PCIe slot. You need to find out what your mobo is so that you can look up what kind it is.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 05, 2014, 10:06:54 pm »

Just to make SURE it's not heat, you might try blowing a big fan on the card/motherboard while you're testing it - box fans are kinda handy for this although cyclone fans seem to move more air.   Remember the temperature reported is only where the temperature sensor is, and there could be another component on the card overheating.  Although at 43C that's not TOO likely, it's one of the easiest things to try...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 06, 2014, 01:00:31 am »

Just to make SURE it's not heat, you might try blowing a big fan on the card/motherboard while you're testing it - box fans are kinda handy for this although cyclone fans seem to move more air.   Remember the temperature reported is only where the temperature sensor is, and there could be another component on the card overheating.  Although at 43C that's not TOO likely, it's one of the easiest things to try...
Tried running it with the case open and a desk fan blowing on the card, didn't seem to help whatsoever.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 06, 2014, 03:09:47 am »

Hmm OK if the pc is from 2003 or so, you probably have a VERY early version of pci-e slots - probably 1.0a.  From reading about the pci-e versions and the HD 6450 specs http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6450/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6450-overview.aspx#3, a few things

HD 6450 requires:
Minimum 1GB of system memory   - presume you have at least this much?
pci-e x16 slot - the mobo slot *is* x16 right?  It'd be unusual if it wasn't, but who knows with Dell...
and recommends:
400 Watt or greater power supply recommended - although you had a higher power requirement card work, so your PSU PROBABLY has enough power.  But, if it's the one that came with the PC it could be an older ATX level or something so it can't be ruled out completely.  If nothing else makes any difference you could TRY it with a higher rated PSU if you have access to one...

Also it is pcie version 2.1.  The wiki article on pci-e http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express   says about pcie version 2.1:  "Unfortunately, the increase in power from the slot breaks backward compatibility between PCI Express 2.1 cards and some older motherboards with 1.0/1.0a, but most motherboards with PCI Express 1.1 connectors are provided with a BIOS update by their manufacturers through utilities to support backward compatibility of cards with PCIe 2.1." - so you might want to look for any bios updates available for your motherboard.  Now the older the motherboard, the hairier updating the bios was, and having a power glitch or something interrupt the process can make the motherboard unbootable which is a colossal pain in the ass, so I personally almost never update bios except on brand new pc's where there's not much at risk, or unless the bios update looks like it's really really required to fix something.  Still, the other card was presumably drawing MORE power thru this same pci-e slot so even this doesn't sound so likely.

One tip I ran across researching the card said "go into the video driver control panel and click "reset to default" - it apparently changes some setting you can't affect through the gui" - I'd probably try that first just 'cause it's the easiest and looks the least risky...

Also you do have the latest Directx installed?   If nothing else helps you might try uninstalling and re-installing Directx to make absolutely sure...

And, as usual, it'd be worth running a memory diagnostic overnight just to rule that out - it can be the cause of many a flaky problem.  Burn memtest86 to a bootable USB or a CD and let it run overnight...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 06, 2014, 04:17:09 am »

I can certainly see the PCIe version being a source of the problem- that is, if it's ever been known to cause spontaneous driver crashes after 20-120 minutes of usage. Given that it originally had XP Service Pack 1 on it*0, it's pretty much certainly PCIe 1.0 or 1.0a, as PCIe 1.1 didn't even come out until 2005. There's even a BIOS update online from 2007, around when the PCIe 2.0 spec was released. Not sure if it's worth the risk of bricking the old computer to try it, though- the motherboard is definitely from the "very flaky" era. Might just end up waiting to build a new one.

*I know because had to reinstall it after the hard drive crashed. What a nightmare getting all the updates on...

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:18 pm »

3 or 4 Updates ago the buttons that insert BBC in the "Post Reply" screen stopped working.
I know most of them, but it is a major inconvenience, since i am trying to start a forum game.

Browser: Google Chrome

Anybody got a simple solution for it?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2014, 03:10:58 pm »

One of my computers has a problem - if I enter BIOS (pressing Del during PC startup) and wait for a couple of minutes, the monitor automatically turns goes into energy saving mode and the computer completely freezes - it doesn't respond to keyboard commands and reset or power buttons. After turning the monitor off and on, it displays the message "No video input". The only way to break it out of that state is pulling the power plug out of the socket.
What's wrong? The operating system works fine and doesn't freeze.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 01, 2014, 08:11:26 pm »

So you can get into the BIOS, but after a few minutes that happens?  It could well be a bug in the BIOS firmware itself.  They're so complex these days that I wouldn't at all be surprised.

Do you really need to do something complicated in the BIOS that this is preventing?  If there's a newer version of the BIOS you could try flashing it, but I really wouldn't unless you need to.  There's always a small risk of bricking the motherboard when you try that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 01, 2014, 09:03:23 pm »

One of my computers has a problem - if I enter BIOS (pressing Del during PC startup) and wait for a couple of minutes, the monitor automatically turns goes into energy saving mode and the computer completely freezes - it doesn't respond to keyboard commands and reset or power buttons. After turning the monitor off and on, it displays the message "No video input". The only way to break it out of that state is pulling the power plug out of the socket.
What's wrong? The operating system works fine and doesn't freeze.
If there are multiple video card slots, try the one for onboard? It may be defaulting to that for some reason. I mean, don't hold your breath for a fix, but hey.

3 or 4 Updates ago the buttons that insert BBC in the "Post Reply" screen stopped working.
I know most of them, but it is a major inconvenience, since i am trying to start a forum game.

Browser: Google Chrome

Anybody got a simple solution for it?
Check your Java settings?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2014, 11:41:59 am »

Can anyone recommend any decent free software for converting PDF to Mobi? I got a secondhand Kindle and tried to put my PDFs on there and they're unreadable. I found one program that converts from epub, but nothing from PDF. There are plenty of online conversion sites, but my upload speed averages around 8 kbps, so I really need a program I can just download and keep on the computer.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2014, 11:45:50 am »

Calibre, possibly. I haven't tried pdf to mobi, but I've tried converting from mobi with it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:30 pm »

I'm not sure any program that converts PDF->mobi work very well for anything except regular books (as opposed to anything two-column, lots of images, etc) :(

Especially if they're image PDFs rather than actual text PDFs. Good luck though!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 350