Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553437 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #540 on: December 06, 2013, 01:11:08 pm »

Hardware problem with my desktop.

It had been bluescreening on nonpaged area errors a lot so I took a look wether something was wrong with my ram and sure enough one of them had significant dust build up. Decided I should clean it up and see if that's what had been causing the problems. Took both out and cleaned the dust off, along with the video card and cpu fan and heatsink, wich also had significant dust buildup.

However after reinserting all my desktop would no longer boot. Gave a three long beep error on post, wich I'm failry certain is a memory problem. After removing and inserting my ram a couple more times it stopped giving an error message but would not start up at all, the shutting down and restarting every two to three seconds. It did manage to start up and give the option to boot further once, but I neglected to check the information on screen.

Removed all the power cords from the mobo and removed the battery to try and reset bios or something (I have no idea how to do this really) but now it's back to the same error on post. Not sure what to try next. Could be that both  of my two sticks of ram died but it seems unlikely. I don't have any spare ram to try with. Video card can't be it either, it fails to boot using the in built one to. Advice on how to proceed?
Try putting only one memory stick in at a time that way you can determine if they did crapped out.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 06, 2013, 05:46:37 pm »

Try putting only one memory stick in at a time that way you can determine if they did crapped out.
Tried this but results were very inconsistent. Wether or not it failed at post seemed random regardless is wich one or both I used.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 07, 2013, 01:58:40 am »

Tried this but results were very inconsistent. Wether or not it failed at post seemed random regardless is wich one or both I used.
Next thing to try is find someone else's ram and swap it, truly then you can either figure out your ram is crap or the motherboard is dying.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 07, 2013, 04:37:07 am »

Solved the problem it seems, I just wasn't inserting the ram modules propperly. Been to long since I opened 'er up, I forgot you really need to insert those things tight.
Seems to be starting up now, see what it does.

Also looking back on my previous posts, damn so many typos. That's what you get when the hands can't keep up with the thougths I suppose. :-X

Edit: Huzzah posting from desktop! Now to see if it still crashes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:42:45 am by Jelle »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 07, 2013, 10:08:59 am »

Solved the problem it seems, I just wasn't inserting the ram modules propperly. Been to long since I opened 'er up, I forgot you really need to insert those things tight.
Seems to be starting up now, see what it does.

Also looking back on my previous posts, damn so many typos. That's what you get when the hands can't keep up with the thougths I suppose. :-X

Edit: Huzzah posting from desktop! Now to see if it still crashes.

There should be two plastic clips that click into place over the corners of the ram chip if it's inserted correctly. Looks like you fixed it though. :)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 11, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »

Okay guys, this is a strange problem with my wireless internet, I'm going to be as detailed as I can be.
approx. 5 months ago I moved from southwest Michigan to central Michigan (Lansing/East Lansing), and purchased a wireless adaptor for my PC. We are currently using AT&T (no alternative, don't even ask) as our service provider, for two months I had no problems with the network, connection, download/upload speed, everything ran fine.  Early last month my system was infected by malware, first crypto-locker (crushed by Malware Bytes, lost some files tho'), then by the FBI Moneypak virus (new variant, really effed things up bad), after intensive work the virus was removed completely.  The only other major change during this period was upgrading from the free version of Malware to the full version (with active protection).  There are four additional computers in the household, they have NO difficulty with the network (I am dead serious, I can be lagging to hell and my roomate's systems are all running perfectly).  I have attempted repositioning the computer, I have installed the latest drivers (again dead certain), I have tried literally every single thing I can think of and NOTHING is improving the latentcy.  I am using a TP-LINK TL-WN851ND adaptor, it worked before, it does not work now.  The part is inexpensive, and I can likely replace it without difficulty, but I'd like to see if anyone can help me figure out what's up first.

Holy sh*t EDIT:  And literally within a few hours of posting I find the answer myself, when Malwarebytes performed a system restoration it reset all of my various adjustments to install state, of all the possible things this could have been it turns out that the issue was Windows automatically shutting down the device when it had low load.  TLDR: EFF you Windows.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:29:33 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 12, 2013, 06:48:39 am »

You should really download Firefox and Adblock Plus plugin for it.

It will keep you clear of bad websites and blocking ads will stop the biggest route to infection out there atm.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 13, 2013, 04:40:57 pm »

Firefox, Noscript, and AdblockEdge should fix any viruses from getting into your system.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 14, 2013, 12:48:33 am »

Okay guys, this is a strange problem with my wireless internet, I'm going to be as detailed as I can be.
Michigan
Huzzah, another Michiganite!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 14, 2013, 05:18:45 am »

For the memory stuff, here's a guide to memtest86+: (Actually that problem seems mostly solved but w/e)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

I can also say that MBAM is incredibly reliable and useful. I recommend having an installer laying around or just having it installed. Doesn't take up anything but disk space and it may save your ass one day.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 28, 2014, 06:19:00 pm »

I'm strongly considering wiping my hard drive and reinstalling Windows, since my system is a bit overloaded right now. I find this to be the best way to get rid of old drivers and such. Problem is, my PC didn't come with a Windows disc. Can I use any Windows 7 Premium disc with my product key?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 28, 2014, 06:27:32 pm »

Is it a computer you bought from a major distributer (HP, Dell, etc)?  If so, it's probably using an OEM version of Windows that uses product keys that are incompatible with consumer purchased copies of the OS.  So, in all likelihood, you won't be able to use someone else's Windows disc with the product key stuck on the side of your computer.

On the other hand, it probably has a repair partition and some method of resetting it to factory condition.  Sometimes that's an option during boot up, but other times it's handled through a utility that came installed with the computer somewhere.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 28, 2014, 06:51:05 pm »

It's an Asus, and does not have a recovery partition. Nor did it come with any discs, at all. I burned a backup when I bought the computer, but somehow one of the discs snapped in half in storage.

Is there any way to determine if it's an OEM?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 28, 2014, 07:04:22 pm »

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/digital-river/66a8439b-0d16-4b70-92f7-1c8486a46ebf

Windows 7 itself the keys were much easier to handle, both OEM and Retail used the same media to install but technically OEM is only allowed one install and Retail is allowed a lifetime of activation. If you had problems with either keys, Microsoft will only help activate retail keys, for those with OEMs that can be easily remedied by notifying the microsoft rep that you had a mobo replacement and usually they just activate it for you.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 29, 2014, 11:49:43 am »

OEM keys will activate any install of the correct version (Home, Pro etc etc)  if you do over the phone activation.  Takes under 5 mins on automated free phone call.

Ive used the same Win 7 SP1 iso for years in many computers needing the crapware and bloat removed you get on new pc's, some activate straight away and some need over the phone activated tho all have worked.

Download the correct iso from here and burn it to disc.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languages-X86-amp-X64/page60
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 350