Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553497 times)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #435 on: September 09, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »

I've got a couple quick questions. With 3.00Ghz, 2GB of RAM and an Intel GMA 4500 will I be able to run The Sims 3? Also how much RAM will the Intel GMA 4500 have after it borrows some from the system RAM?
the GMA4500 will take half of that ram, I had troubles running the first and second game with that chip so really doubt 3 would run well or at all.
Well that's fine by me. I was going to buy some additional RAM and eventually upgrade the video card anyways. Plus I optimize every computer I can get my hands on for performance by editing the registry and tweaking various options as well as disabling any unnecessary services in order to free up resources and such.

Thanks for the help. Just to clarify though does that mean the Intel GMA 4500 will have 1GB of RAM? I'm sorry if this question is redundant. I'm in a lot of pain today so it's kind of hard to understand things.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:06 pm »

I've got a couple quick questions. With 3.00Ghz, 2GB of RAM and an Intel GMA 4500 will I be able to run The Sims 3? Also how much RAM will the Intel GMA 4500 have after it borrows some from the system RAM?
the GMA4500 will take half of that ram, I had troubles running the first and second game with that chip so really doubt 3 would run well or at all.
Well that's fine by me. I was going to buy some additional RAM and eventually upgrade the video card anyways. Plus I optimize every computer I can get my hands on for performance by editing the registry and tweaking various options as well as disabling any unnecessary services in order to free up resources and such.

Thanks for the help. Just to clarify though does that mean the Intel GMA 4500 will have 1GB of RAM? I'm sorry if this question is redundant. I'm in a lot of pain today so it's kind of hard to understand things.
sorta depends on the bios setting, i seen it range from 512 to 1428

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2013, 05:47:08 pm »

sorta depends on the bios setting, i seen it range from 512 to 1428
Yeah I had heard that Dynamic Video Memory Technology does that but I wanted to be sure. I'm a little wary about messing with the BIOS though as I've made computers inaccessible without that even being my intention by going into there.

Either way thanks for the help. Even if I can't play The Sims 3 I'll still be able to play most of the other games I want to play or at least play at this time better than this old steam-powered toaster can since most of the games I like are from 2005 and prior. Still going to get those upgrades though since I want to play some of the games that came after that. I'll ask you guys about that video card and RAM upgrade stuff when the time comes. Thanks again for the help.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 13, 2013, 04:49:41 am »

Hmm I could use some advice yeah.

So I've got this desktop, about 3 years old and pretty worn through extensive use. I fear this last hot summer didn't do it any good either and it seems the hardware is about ready to fall apart. I should be upgrading soon anyway but would prefer to hang on to it a little while longer.

Anyway here's the problem. Every time I boot it up a first time it eventually crashes, with a bluescreen if I'm lucky. After that it goes through some difficulty loading the operating system (windows 7) so I run a system restore and all is gravy again. Naturally not a healhy thing for an operating system to require repairs on a daily basis, already had to do one clean install after it got borked up beyond repair.
After that all seems to be just fine. Usually no crashing at all for the entire session after I went through the repairs. Soon as it shuts down and reboots though, back to step 1.

So what part of my pc do you guys figure could cause this if it were broken? Bios loads without a problem. If it's my hard disk I could replace it with a spare, wich I'll be trying once I get an os installed on it. But I'm no hardware expert so I'm just sort of wildly guessing.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 13, 2013, 05:45:57 am »

With no further information, we're flailing around blindly, nothing useful from the Bluescreen information?

A few things you may want to try:

Reset the BIOS (most have this option in the BIOS setup screens, hard way to do it is detaching the battery from the motherboard).

Check for faulty RAM - if you have several modules, boot up with only one of them.

Check temperature readings... fans may be clogged, thermal paste may have dried up.

Update drivers, unplug anything added shortly before the problems started.

Try another operating system, most Linuxes will boot from a CD or a stick into a usable environment. You can run hardware diagnostics from there, or simply use it normally to see if anything fails with useful error messages.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 13, 2013, 03:33:13 pm »

Sounds like hard drive damage to me. Any of the other common bluescreen causes are pretty unlikely to be fixed so readily and recur so consistently.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 13, 2013, 03:45:26 pm »

at this point i do see bluescreen from either coming from the RAM or the hard drive, maybe a good format will fix it straight.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 15, 2013, 06:03:27 am »

Bah the last crash did it again, os is kaput and won't boot nor repair. Installed on a second hard drive, could acces my files on the presumibly broke one fine so that's a plus. So far so good no crashes yet, will see how it goes.

With no further information, we're flailing around blindly, nothing useful from the Bluescreen information?
Just the usual 'unexpected error, shut down to prevent damage, contact your sys admin, check for any hardware changes yadayada'. When it doesn't bluescreen the screen will usually rip whatever colors it was displaying in horizontal bands or flat out go dark and reboot immediatly. Don't know if that signifies anything particular.

at this point i do see bluescreen from either coming from the RAM or the hard drive, maybe a good format will fix it straight.
Yeah that would get it running again for some time, until recurring crashes fudges it up again. Have already formatted and clean installed some time earlier, think it was about a month ago.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:07:35 am by Jelle »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 15, 2013, 11:48:14 pm »

Rip out colors? that....... sounds like a graphic issue instead between graphics card and power supply.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 12, 2013, 12:29:48 pm »

My computer is having some weird sound troubles.
Whenever my Processer is under the slightest of loads my sound gets mega staticy/I don't even know what to call it.
It's never done this before,
Fix how do?  :(
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 12, 2013, 12:37:42 pm »

Move the speakers farther away from the computer?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 12, 2013, 12:51:41 pm »

This is with a pair of ear buds.
EDIT: A computer restart seems to have fixed the problem. Derp.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:30:47 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 13, 2013, 08:35:43 pm »

While I was moving my network's router, somehow something happened that caused the router to reset to factory settings, which messed up a ton of things. Now, after trying three different adaptors, my individual computer can barely access the internet. When it can, it's slow. Whenever I try to do something like download a file, or play anything online, my computer starts to randomly lose connection to the internet, and reconnect, and when it is connected for the two minutes each time, it's unbearably slow. About half of the time, it develops into my computer not being able to identify the network, and the router communicating with my computer, until after a seemingly random amount of time it goes back.

I have Win7 64bit, a Cisco AE6500 router, as of this moment a Netgear A6200 USB network adaptor (also tried with an onboard Atheros adaptor and an older cisco one.) Running the troubleshooting function when the network is unidentified results in 1-2 of the following error messages.
-The Default Gateway is not Configured
-The Default Gateway is not available
-Device did not have set IP
-"Wireless Connection 5" does not have a valid IP configuration
I've tried searching it, restarting the adaptor and router, along with trying a static IP (which made it not able to connect to the network)
My computer seems to be the only one experiencing these problems (is custom built), with every now and again another computer not seeing the network for a couple minutes, or a problem similar to that.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 13, 2013, 10:50:15 pm »

you are getting that across all of the nic cards? what was the signal strength on each of them?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 03, 2013, 06:04:37 pm »

This seems to be popping up more and more. Essentially, when reading older posts on a forum, or stuff like the LP archive, symbols are displayed as code instead of the symbol. For example, D&D becomes D&D. I assume that this has something to do with the browser's style settings, but I have no idea how to fix it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 350