Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553538 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #375 on: August 25, 2013, 10:35:22 pm »

No. They can run threads in parallel if the game is optimized for that (most aren't), and you can run Windows (and misc. processes) on one core while running the game on the other, but you can't just add the two speeds together.

That said, the game in question MIGHT work. System requirements are highly speculative anyway, and the developer PROBABLY factored Windows overhead into the proposed specs. DEdicating one core to the game might give it enough power. Bit of a crapshoot, though.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 25, 2013, 11:02:22 pm »

No. They can run threads in parallel if the game is optimized for that (most aren't), and you can run Windows (and misc. processes) on one core while running the game on the other, but you can't just add the two speeds together.

That said, the game in question MIGHT work. System requirements are highly speculative anyway, and the developer PROBABLY factored Windows overhead into the proposed specs. DEdicating one core to the game might give it enough power. Bit of a crapshoot, though.

It looks like an old buddy of mine from some years back lied to me then. Thank you for the information.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:26:25 pm by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:46 am »

So, do chargers for laptops and other electronic devices typically pull the same amount of power when they are not charging? Just curious. And trying to prove someone wrong, maybe.

EDIT: Yay, Google. Answers need not apply.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:58:19 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »

So, do chargers for laptops and other electronic devices typically pull the same amount of power when they are not charging? Just curious. And trying to prove someone wrong, maybe.

EDIT: Yay, Google. Answers need not apply.

The answer is simple, if you consider the First law of Thermodynamics.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

NES630

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2013, 08:10:33 pm »

Quote from: NES630 link=topic=90025.msg4502538#msg4502538 date=137670In5913
I got told by a person who does repairs for various machines that a Phenom II Series might be better than FX Series 8 Core... true?

The AMD Phenom II range is the best thing to come out of AMD for a long while.  They can give the i5 a run for it's money whilst also being half the price, but I'd strongly recommend going that little bit extra to get four or even six cores on it (So AMD Phenom II x4/x6). 

I've always preferred Gigabyte motherboards, but only because they do a brilliant Micro ATX range, and I like to keep my desktops small :P  ASUS are a good brand if this is your first time building a PC. 
Word of advisement, make sure you have a later board revision of their motherboards, first revisions are terribad, my current mobo was a first z77 and it cant handle any type of overclocking, it doesnt like me changing a milivolt :P

My target motherboard is the ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z... I've heard good things about it.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2013, 02:02:01 pm »

I've got a question about dual-core processors. If both cores each clock in at 2.13Ghz does that mean that together they clock in at 4.26Ghz and as a result can meet the system requirements of a game that requires at least 2.50Ghz to run on Windows 7?

What was the game and cpu you have?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »

Is there any way to create 3D surface graphs for free that doesn't involve implementing code with a library? I'm looking for a program that can read a file filled with data and output a graph. I've been searching for a while, and this is something that seems to be bizarrely obscure for functionality that seems so obvious. Everything I've been able to find is either a library with this functionality (in a language I don't know) or is not freeware or only does this for functions instead of raw data. I may have asked this question before, but if it was answered I've forgotten.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:27 pm »

I've got a question about dual-core processors. If both cores each clock in at 2.13Ghz does that mean that together they clock in at 4.26Ghz and as a result can meet the system requirements of a game that requires at least 2.50Ghz to run on Windows 7?

What was the game and cpu you have?
It doesn't matter anymore as the plans to purchase a computer this September have fallen through. I'm going to wait until around November or December then get an Alienware computer for $700-$900. Also the game was The Sims 3, which is a game I've been wanting to play since it was released but have been unable to because my current machine cannot even install it.

I've got a different question now anyways. Flash keeps crashing whenever I watch a Youtube video in Firefox. What do I do to fix this? If it helps I just reinstalled Direct X from the June 2010 distribution and before that I disabled NoScript because it was messing up on another website.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 29, 2013, 09:54:08 pm »

You could buy an Alienware computer, but have you considered building one yourself? You might be able to get a better computer, exactly the way you like it, for less money.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 29, 2013, 09:56:02 pm »

I've never actually heard anything good about alienware. caveat emptor.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »

Alienware's quality went straight downhill after Dell took over and just became overpriced junk for gaming. An MSI or a IBuyPower pcs are much better and dont get me started on their laptops.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:10 pm »

You could buy an Alienware computer, but have you considered building one yourself? You might be able to get a better computer, exactly the way you like it, for less money.
I don't trust myself enough with computers to build one. Maybe upgrading the video card or slotting in a WiFi card but building one is something I don't think I'm qualified to do. I would rather not risk breaking the parts or screwing something up and just buy a computer that does what I want it to do.

Also by that logic I should do what I wanted to do in the first place and buy this computer from TigerDirect and just slot in a new video card later. However my mother, who is the one helping me save up the money for a new computer, advised me against that, and based on my experience with used computers and messing with computer hardware I'm inclined to trust her judgement.

Also don't worry about the Firefox problem. I managed to fix it by shutting down a program that was conflicting with Firefox and it's piece of shit plug-in container. I miss Firefox 3.5 right about now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:30:59 pm by MadMalkavian »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2013, 10:31:57 pm »

I built a computer for the first time last week (I've barely even held a screwdriver before, I can't change a plug let alone a motherboard) and I'm using it right now to post this. It is not nearly as hard as you think, and I had a lot of money on the line too if I messed up. Just get some very, very patient friends who can talk you through it step by step, take anti static precautions and just work your way through it.

Honestly, don't underestimate yourself. Building a computer is something everyone should do at least once, I think. It helps you to understand what's inside your computer, and you don't feel like going inside it is such a big undertaking, and best of all your computer will be exactly the way you want it and you will save money.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:34:18 pm by Owlbread »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01:54 pm »

I'm not going to build a new computer. I don't trust myself to do such a thing without breaking something or wasting money. Money might be something a normal person doesn't have to worry about but when you live on $866.40 USD a month it's kind of important that you don't take any chances with your money. I'm sorry but no amount of pep talk or coercion will convince me that it would be a good idea to do such a thing.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:15 pm »

I'm not going to build a new computer. I don't trust myself to do such a thing without breaking something or wasting money. Money might be something a normal person doesn't have to worry about but when you live on $866.40 USD a month it's kind of important that you don't take any chances with your money. I'm sorry but no amount of pep talk or coercion will convince me that it would be a good idea to do such a thing.
My brother that doesnt know anything about computers built his :P
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 350