Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553543 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »

I've done some checking, and the introduction of SATA began more than 8 years ago. It's worth a second look, since it will save quite a bit of time and hassle (I didn't know the computer I built in 2005 had sata ports until 2008).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »

I know some people around here have mentioned a program to generate and manage strong passwords (such as are beyond my ability to remember easily), and I'm mostly hoping to get some recommendations on what a good Chrome extension to accomplish this might be, since I have to update all my various account settings anyway to send stuff to my new email address.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2013, 06:55:44 pm »

I like to use Lastpass. It stores all your passwords, can generate passwords and fill them in automatically, and is stored online so you can access your Lastpass stuff from any computer with your master password.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NES630

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 16, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »

Interested in building a gaming rig with potential Christmas money. Keep in mind, this is hypothetical. This is a rig I'm building with limited funds and sanity in mind, so the processor is going to be AMD. I got told by a person who does repairs for various machines that a Phenom II Series might be better than FX Series 8 Core... true?

Oh, and the proposed motherboard is ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z.

I'm new to this, so if anything I said is facepalm, bear with it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:25:00 pm by NES630 »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2013, 02:05:26 am »

Interested in building a gaming rig with potential Christmas money. Keep in mind, this is hypothetical. This is a rig I'm building with limited funds and sanity in mind, so the processor is going to be AMD. I got told by a person who does repairs for various machines that a Phenom II Series might be better than FX Series 8 Core... true?

Oh, and the proposed motherboard is ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z.

I'm new to this, so if anything I said is facepalm, bear with it.

You lost me at AMD. Sorry.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2013, 02:47:46 am »

Well when I shopped for a motherboard/cpu for my current rig a while back I found the AMD parts were typically much cheaper than equivalent Intel parts.

Like, sometimes I think they were nearly half the price.

I'm aware that Intel has been blowing AMD out of the water with the performance of their latest high end stuff, but if you're looking for value for money, especially if you're not interested in overclocking, AMD seems like a better choice right now.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2013, 03:03:04 am »

Quote from: NES630 link=topic=90025.msg4502538#msg4502538 date=137670In5913
I got told by a person who does repairs for various machines that a Phenom II Series might be better than FX Series 8 Core... true?

The AMD Phenom II range is the best thing to come out of AMD for a long while.  They can give the i5 a run for it's money whilst also being half the price, but I'd strongly recommend going that little bit extra to get four or even six cores on it (So AMD Phenom II x4/x6). 

I've always preferred Gigabyte motherboards, but only because they do a brilliant Micro ATX range, and I like to keep my desktops small :P  ASUS are a good brand if this is your first time building a PC. 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 19, 2013, 10:47:27 am »

Quote from: NES630 link=topic=90025.msg4502538#msg4502538 date=137670In5913
I got told by a person who does repairs for various machines that a Phenom II Series might be better than FX Series 8 Core... true?

The AMD Phenom II range is the best thing to come out of AMD for a long while.  They can give the i5 a run for it's money whilst also being half the price, but I'd strongly recommend going that little bit extra to get four or even six cores on it (So AMD Phenom II x4/x6). 

I've always preferred Gigabyte motherboards, but only because they do a brilliant Micro ATX range, and I like to keep my desktops small :P  ASUS are a good brand if this is your first time building a PC. 
Word of advisement, make sure you have a later board revision of their motherboards, first revisions are terribad, my current mobo was a first z77 and it cant handle any type of overclocking, it doesnt like me changing a milivolt :P

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 21, 2013, 09:04:47 am »

Well, I've bought a 4TB HDD for my computer along with an SSD. My SSD is where I've installed my OS, so the computer boots from there. My HDD is basically for everything else.

I've been trying to split the HDD into 4 partitions - 1TB for the first three, then another partition made of whatever else is left. Now, in my attempts to create said partitions I've discovered that having bought a 4TB HDD I can't even use 2TB for two partitions (I can only get 1023.90gb at best in my second partition). The rest of the space, a whole 1678 gigabyte, is just sitting there, unable to be allocated. The first two partitions are, annoyingly, "primary" partitions but I don't know how to change that. In the "manage" menu I get 2047.90 gigabytes to play with 1678.02 next to it.

I'm using windows 7.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:07:05 am by Owlbread »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 21, 2013, 11:55:41 am »

Well, I've bought a 4TB HDD for my computer along with an SSD. My SSD is where I've installed my OS, so the computer boots from there. My HDD is basically for everything else.

I've been trying to split the HDD into 4 partitions - 1TB for the first three, then another partition made of whatever else is left. Now, in my attempts to create said partitions I've discovered that having bought a 4TB HDD I can't even use 2TB for two partitions (I can only get 1023.90gb at best in my second partition). The rest of the space, a whole 1678 gigabyte, is just sitting there, unable to be allocated. The first two partitions are, annoyingly, "primary" partitions but I don't know how to change that. In the "manage" menu I get 2047.90 gigabytes to play with 1678.02 next to it.

I'm using windows 7.
need to repartition it with one primary and a second logical partition, the Logical acts as a secondary partition table.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:34 am »

Would it be possible to turn my "system reserved" partition into my primary partition and use the rest as secondary ones? Also, how would I go about doing this?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:15 pm »

Would it be possible to turn my "system reserved" partition into my primary partition and use the rest as secondary ones? Also, how would I go about doing this?
You should not touch that partition thats a Shadow VS filesystem for windows unless you are going to wipe the drive. Best partition tool to use is partition magic suite.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »

You should not touch that partition thats a Shadow VS filesystem for windows unless you are going to wipe the drive. Best partition tool to use is partition magic suite.

What is the purpose of the "primary" partition? Do the characteristics of the drive change much depending on that classification? You see, if they don't and it's just a formality, I'd probably devote 100mb to it and turn the rest into secondary partitions. Would you be able to tell me how to create a secondary partition in the Windows 7 storage manager or are you more experienced with different programs?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:34 pm »

What is the purpose of the "primary" partition? Do the characteristics of the drive change much depending on that classification? You see, if they don't and it's just a formality, I'd probably devote 100mb to it and turn the rest into secondary partitions. Would you be able to tell me how to create a secondary partition in the Windows 7 storage manager or are you more experienced with different programs?
windows disk manager sucks i use linux based disk programs for partition management.
explaination of disk partition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »

I've got a question about dual-core processors. If both cores each clock in at 2.13Ghz does that mean that together they clock in at 4.26Ghz and as a result can meet the system requirements of a game that requires at least 2.50Ghz to run on Windows 7?
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 350