Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553549 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2013, 09:13:10 pm »

Is this a PC with an integrated wireless adapter, a laptop with the same, or something with an actual network card?

Does the problem happen on anyone else's PC that connects through that router, or just your's?
Actual network card. Can't answer the other one, since I'm the only one in the house with a computer. That said, when I was setting up my sister's netbook around Christmas, I was able to connect to it without any significant problem that I remember.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:54 pm »

Age of the network card? Those are getting a bit rare these days, so my money would be on that being the culprit. I say that having done none of the other process of elimination steps though, like looking into your router settings (which, I dunno, I doubt your step-dad would let you f with.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:16 am »

Age of the network card? Those are getting a bit rare these days, so my money would be on that being the culprit. I say that having done none of the other process of elimination steps though, like looking into your router settings (which, I dunno, I doubt your step-dad would let you f with.)
I got it a couple of months ago.

And it's not mine, nor my stepdad's router, so I doubt I can get to the settings. As far as I know, it's a "public" router.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2013, 07:26:49 am »

If you know the router model you could look up the default user/pass.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2013, 11:15:28 am »

If you mean "public" as in no password then anyone around you could be stealing your broadband and kicking you off what you are doing.

If its the wifi signal that keeps cutting out, some routers wifi "mode N" is broken and wont keep things connected for long.  Best thing for this is to turn off mode n and limit the connection to mode g..

You will need to download an instruction manual to find out where to do this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »

Yeah, if it's an unsecured wifi connection, and other people are using it, it's probably saturated which is why your connection is inconsistent at best. If someone is torrent on that, your connection will likely time out multiple times.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 07, 2013, 04:24:00 pm »

I don't think Mode N is even on this router. I'm only seeing B and G, while other routers in range have B/G/N.
Figures that it might be a traffic jam ::).

There are two other routers in range of the same manufacturer and using the same channel, but the both are secured and have Mode N enabled. That shouldn't be a problem, though. Should it?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2013, 05:13:11 pm »

If you're using the same channel, that might be the part getting congested. Or it might not be important, I haven't looked at that in awhile.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 08, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »

One more issue, is this drive compatible with this cable? My motherboard lacks the proper cables to connect it internally, and it'd probably be cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to do this than return it(partly since I think there was only one burner on Newegg with the right connector, and it was close to $40).

If it's not, is there possibly one that is?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 08, 2013, 05:05:03 pm »

It's possible. The cable only lists HDD support, but there's not that much difference. Data speeds will suffer, though.

But what do you mean about your motherboard lacking "cables"? Do you mean that you don't have a free SATA port, or that your PSU doesn't have a SATA power free?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 08, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »

Neither. It uses a different type of cable.

I don't really care too much about the data speed, since I intend to just use it for making backups and such. I've still got the old DVD drive, which works just fine, it only lacks the ability to write.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2013, 05:26:25 pm »

That might take too much power to operate, usb2.0 default power rating is very low and not alot of drives can run on it and going off the bat saying no for the dvd drive. i would suggest this drive but its pricey and theres some cheaper ones out there but heard about some crappy psus burning out what ever you attach it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2013, 06:06:24 pm »

I don't really care too much about the data speed, since I intend to just use it for making backups and such. I've still got the old DVD drive, which works just fine, it only lacks the ability to write.
Your motherboard is IDE? The two technologies ran alongside one another for a long, long time, and anything made in the last 5 years (at least) should have both (or just SATA). Are you sure you don't have a SATA somewhere on there?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2013, 06:08:36 pm »

...Damn, that's actually more expensive than the burner. But the cheaper one's I've looked at are not particularly good according to their reviews. However, on some of the customer reviews for the one on Newegg(same model and price), it says that the power cable and data cable don't fit next to each other.

Your motherboard is IDE? The two technologies ran alongside one another for a long, long time, and anything made in the last 5 years (at least) should have both (or just SATA). Are you sure you don't have a SATA somewhere on there?
Motherboard might be older than 5 years. I built this computer 4 or 5 years ago.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »

...Damn, that's actually more expensive than the burner. But the cheaper one's I've looked at are not particularly good according to their reviews. However, on some of the customer reviews for the one on Newegg(same model and price), it says that the power cable and data cable don't fit next to each other.

Motherboard might be older than 5 years. I built this computer 4 or 5 years ago.
yea its alot, you could ask to do a trade in or either a external or a ide version
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 350