Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553578 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2013, 12:24:35 am »

Anyone know a good place to download an IDA, a good binary exploitation tutorial, and a good script exploitation tutorial?
there better be a good reason you are asking for a disassembly instructions......

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2013, 05:59:53 am »

Anyone know a good place to download an IDA, a good binary exploitation tutorial, and a good script exploitation tutorial?
there better be a good reason you are asking for a disassembly instructions......
I actually need it for a competition my school is in.  They provide us with programs, and tell us what information we generally need, and give us some clue on how to get it.  Since two of the categories are script exploitation and binary exploitation, I assume we need to know that, and one of the big point questions wants us to download an IDA.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2013, 07:46:34 am »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:06 am »

Recently I bought a new (Windows 8) laptop, old one (Ubuntu) was passed onto wife and old-old one (Windows XP) is in retirement.  Problem is, I had an external HDD primarily used on the WinXP machine that I'm almost certain has a virus on it.  That machine just became a gibbering wreck towards the end of its life.  I felt reasonably safe accessing the HDD from the Ubuntu machine but now I want to get at some files from a Win8 machine I'm too scared to even bring the USB cable into the same room.

So, two questions; what's the safest way to get at those files?  and what's the cheapest way to get at those files?

I'm thinking I really need to invest in a virus checker, but I don't really want to pay continuously for one.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2013, 09:20:41 am »

ClamAV is a Linux anti-virus, if you want to take a crack at it from that angle.

Otherwise, free AVs like Avast or MSE would probably work.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:00 am »

It should be fine to plug in to Win 8 and run a virus scan in it.  Just dont run any exe files or let it "autorun" anything from it if asked.

Any modern antivirus you installed in Win 8 will stop any ancient viruses left on it from ages ago.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2013, 11:31:29 am »

Thanks for the advice, guys.  Will look into those free ones.  Good point about modern virus checker vs old virus  :D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2013, 06:13:42 am »

Is there any tool that I can use to disable some of the right-click menu stuff in Windows? It's starting to get cluttered, and that's just stuff from necessities like my graphics card software.

I know I can go right in the registry and do it, but I don't really want to do that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:39 am »

Quick google found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-clean-up-your-messy-windows-context-menu/

First half is in the registry, the second half is using applications to disable but not entirely remove them, (or so I gathered from a quick perusal).
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2013, 07:00:06 am »

You could download autoruns from Microsoft.

In the "Explorer" tab everything in the context menu is listed and you are able to untick them to remove them.

Just make sure you remove the correct things lol.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2013, 09:18:21 am »

I actually need it for a competition my school is in.  They provide us with programs, and tell us what information we generally need, and give us some clue on how to get it.  Since two of the categories are script exploitation and binary exploitation, I assume we need to know that, and one of the big point questions wants us to download an IDA.

Hey, I was in that! You should totally PM me and tell me how you did.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2013, 05:39:15 pm »

Got a problem with my internet connection. Yes, I've been complaining about it for awhile. Here's what I know:

I have good speed, I've seen it go up to 1Mbit/s before and maybe faster than that, but usually it's in the 200kbit/s-400kbit/s range. It generally has a good signal, Windows consistently having 4 of 5 bars, and the program that came with my wireless card shows 70%-80% or better.

The problem is, every minute or so, it just stops. Packets stop transmitting, as pinging the router's IP address(or anywhere else but my own IP adress) times out(ping times are otherwise excellent). I'm not sure if this an issue with the router I'm connected to, or something in between. I've looked up similar issues with packet loss like this, but nothing that was suggested has worked.

It's... acceptable for web browsing, but not at all for gaming(Shores of Hazeron is the only one that works well enough, but that's because SoH lags worse than I do). I sometimes have to refresh a web page, and videos are a little problematic, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2013, 06:18:49 pm »

Got a problem with my internet connection. Yes, I've been complaining about it for awhile. Here's what I know:

I have good speed, I've seen it go up to 1Mbit/s before and maybe faster than that, but usually it's in the 200kbit/s-400kbit/s range. It generally has a good signal, Windows consistently having 4 of 5 bars, and the program that came with my wireless card shows 70%-80% or better.

The problem is, every minute or so, it just stops. Packets stop transmitting, as pinging the router's IP address(or anywhere else but my own IP adress) times out(ping times are otherwise excellent). I'm not sure if this an issue with the router I'm connected to, or something in between. I've looked up similar issues with packet loss like this, but nothing that was suggested has worked.

It's... acceptable for web browsing, but not at all for gaming(Shores of Hazeron is the only one that works well enough, but that's because SoH lags worse than I do). I sometimes have to refresh a web page, and videos are a little problematic, though.
how much ping are you getting?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2013, 07:04:55 pm »

Result of 100 pings to my router's IP:
Most round-trip times were between about 1-5 milliseconds. The first 4 pings timed out, probably at the end of one of these periods of packet loss, and one ping took 1500ms round-trip. Average was 18ms, but that's probably due to that one 1500ms pingtime.

Result of 100 pings to google.com:
No packet loss this time. Minimum time, 12ms, maximum 1300ms(again one ping), average was around 20ms.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2013, 08:42:23 pm »

Is this a PC with an integrated wireless adapter, a laptop with the same, or something with an actual network card?

Does the problem happen on anyone else's PC that connects through that router, or just your's?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 350