Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553600 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 02, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »

Can someone give me a ballpark figure for how much a decent gaming computer would cost?  I don't need it to run Crysis on maximum settings, just be able to play modern games at a decent setting, along with being able to be upgraded as time goes on, since Intel laptops suck at that job.  I'm starting to feel like every time I turn my Xbox on that it's going to die, and due to some recent events I've managed to save up almost 400 bucks, along with finally being able to get semi-unlimited internet access, as long as I stay up REALLY late. 
i suggest either the AMD HD 7950 or the nividia ti660 can crank the game around medium and high settings fine (Crytek has once again created another engine of deathwork for computers :D). Highly recommended to get quad core for this game as crysis 3 utilizes all cores available. Since money is going to be a issue with this build i suggest going for a full AMD build. Yes their processor sucks for singlethreading but their multithreading is a blast and 8 cores for 200 bucks who the hell is complaining. Since my build was around 750 bucks with a HD7770 prepare to go out of your way of 900 dollars for a Crysis box.
Sorr, meant I'm not meaning to run Crysis at all, really.  It would be nice, but it's not neccasary.
Would I be able to lower the cost by cannibalizing an old computer?  I know I won't be able to use a graphics card or mother board from it, but can I use other things from it? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 02, 2013, 09:43:04 pm »

Hard drives, optical drives, and probably the case can be salvaged. It's possible, though not likely, that the PSU from an older box can be reused as well. You *need* a cpu, motherboard, video card, and probably a power supply. Quite acceptable mobo/processor combos can easily be found in the 160-200 dollar range, and you should be able to find a good video card and psu for less than 200. Thus, the project can be accomplished for less than your 400 dollar budget if you can cannibalize an existing box.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2013, 12:24:52 am »

for a cannibal case you can squeak around with 400 bucks, psu's can be reused from old cases but be careful with that as most prebuilt boxes and old psus do not have the needed power connectors for the new graphic cards. A processor that used to be top of the line three years ago can still make it in the gaming industry but modern games are now shifting towards quad-core now so prepare for dual core to die out.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2013, 02:06:18 pm »

The backspace key on my laptop just broke. Since it's a laptop, it has a bunch of extra keys which I never use, such as an eject key and a menu-opening key. How do I map one of these to be my new backspace?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »

The backspace key on my laptop just broke. Since it's a laptop, it has a bunch of extra keys which I never use, such as an eject key and a menu-opening key. How do I map one of these to be my new backspace?
umm you can't..... not in windows

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:48 pm »

Autohotkey might help, if you can find what designation the key has.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 04, 2013, 07:01:09 am »

New keyboard will probably cost under $20 too

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 04, 2013, 08:10:35 am »

Yeah, in Canada I could get a fairly generic wired keyboard for 20 bucks plus tax, or a wireless keyboard+mouse for 30.

Might even be cheaper for you, sir.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 04, 2013, 06:23:37 pm »

I managed to remap it to a menu-opening key, though not the CD eject one I originally wanted. I might still buy a USB keyboard in the future, if only for having a numberpad.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 06, 2013, 07:32:45 am »

Its easy and cheap to replace a laptops keyboard too, usually only held in by 2 screws and the wire.  Plenty of guides and youtube vids showing what to do.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 06, 2013, 10:24:08 am »

I'm getting a new desktop computer and was wondering if windows 8 is as bad as some people make it out to be.  I'll primarily be doing work related stuff, quickbooks, writing documents, etc along with some games like DF and other strategy ones but nothing too intense.

So opinions?  Should I just get something a little less new with windows 7 or something else entirely?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 06, 2013, 10:27:01 am »

I'm getting a new desktop computer and was wondering if windows 8 is as bad as some people make it out to be.  I'll primarily be doing work related stuff, quickbooks, writing documents, etc along with some games like DF and other strategy ones but nothing too intense.

So opinions?  Should I just get something a little less new with windows 7 or something else entirely?
If the new start menu bugs the hell outta you i would suggest getting your hands on Start8 (5 bucks but vastly superior over classic shell) to the original start menu back.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 06, 2013, 11:13:02 am »

In my personal opinion, Windows 8 has a horrible GUI and they've restricted User Accessibility LOADS, but if you just stuck the classic shell over the top then I imagine it would be pretty fast - I hear Microsoft claim Windows 8 handles drivers better...  I don't believe a word of it :P 
From a money point of view, if the older one is cheaper get it because a lot of the newer ones expense will be stuff for Windows 8.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2013, 08:21:02 pm »

Pros of Win8:
Its new.
It will come with a prebuilt computer most likely.
It looks pretty good on tablets.

Cons:
Win7 has much more compatibility due to existing for longer.
You have to either use the other option you're given (classic shell) or pay $5 to change your desktop if you don't like it.
Its basically Win7.5 with a bunch of absurd UI choices for no particular reason, some performance tweaks, some driver promises, and slightly more money than Win7 probably.

The last of both sections may or maynot include opinion.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 350