Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553651 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2013, 10:08:52 am »

hmm, fresh install of windows then?

Oh dear god don't say that. I had my last computer for 4 years without needing to reinstall. I don't have an external hard drive or any other way to back up my files while I reinstall. I don't want to do that without absolute necessity.

One thing I'm pretty sure of, I've been thinking about it and I believe the last time this happened, I was playing Dungeons of Dredmor through Steam. This time, Steam was open in the background, and when I tried to shut down the computer at last, I had to wait a few minutes while Windows complained that Steam was not responding. Is it possible this is the culprit? I've noticed some overall glitchy behavior on the computer since installing Steam just before Christmas. Is this common? Is the program unstable? Am I better off playing my games without having the Steam interface open?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:19 am »

well i mention reinstall because when these companies drop these images on the hard drive, theres some to lots of corrupted system files that usually just either get fixed by a system update or just sits there until they break the system. My next course of action for you is run a SFC scan on the cmd terminal (run it in admin mode) and reinstall Steam, this sounds like a dll problem but whether its windows side or steam i would not know.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:44 am »

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I told the Windows add/remove programs dialog to "repair" my installation of Steam. It ran a progress bar and then closed. I also set Steam to not run when the computer starts up. I don't use it that often. So if this happens again and Steam is closed, I'll know it's not Steam causing the problem. Then maybe I'll consider borrowing an external hard drive from someone and doing a clean install of Windows I guess.

Thanks for the help so far. It's only happened twice. Maybe it won't happen again. I hope not!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2013, 12:50:45 pm »

When you're not sure whether something is an OS-specific problem, you could check with a second operating system.

Some Linux on a bootable USB stick is dead useful even if you aren't proficient or interested in it for everyday use  (data recovery, some repairs that require no knowledge beyond how to use google, having a system with critical programs and settings on someone else's machine, getting around permission problems...)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2013, 03:00:55 pm »

Yeah, I don't generally have things like that lying around. Also, I don't know how to reproduce the problem. Still not sure what caused it. I've been using my computer at least 3-6 hours per day (much more on weekends) and it's only happened twice in the past couple of months. Once I restart, the problem is fixed, so I don't think a second OS would be of use in this case. : / In fact, the only reason it's really a problem at all is that if I'm playing DF and it happens, I have no way to save my game. Is there any possible way to get the menu open and save the game without a keyboard? I don't have an external keyboard.

I've never used Linux. It sounds good in principle, but the few times I tried to get it, I could never figure out how to make it work. That was a few years back though. Is there any simple way to use it now? Also, how much HD space does it take up? I tend not to have too much open due to always obtaining large video files (and slowly deleting them to make space). I could really use with a nice big external hard drive, but they cost money, and money is less than abundant in my life at the moment.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2013, 03:07:30 pm »

All I could think of would be an external macro-program that you open with your mouse and use with your mouse that does the keystrokes necessary to save your DF game.

I don't even know if that's possible, let alone how you would do it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:02 pm »

Yeah, I don't generally have things like that lying around. Also, I don't know how to reproduce the problem. Still not sure what caused it. I've been using my computer at least 3-6 hours per day (much more on weekends) and it's only happened twice in the past couple of months. Once I restart, the problem is fixed, so I don't think a second OS would be of use in this case. : / In fact, the only reason it's really a problem at all is that if I'm playing DF and it happens, I have no way to save my game. Is there any possible way to get the menu open and save the game without a keyboard? I don't have an external keyboard.
Isn't the current world updated continuously so that you can copy it to a backup folder via the mouse?

I've never used Linux. It sounds good in principle, but the few times I tried to get it, I could never figure out how to make it work. That was a few years back though. Is there any simple way to use it now?
These days, most work straight from the installation medium so if you just want it for emergencies you don't need to install anything.
If you want it as an option for a daily OS, hardware detection is generally good and installation easier than Windows. With the mainstream distributions you get a fairly complete system - things like drivers, codecs, flash, an office suite, multimedia stuff, image manipulation included. Everything should be done in about half an hour, no upgrade marathons or driver hunts.
On the downside, default Linux installs are usually not tweaked for laptops: Power saving features tend to be disabled, enabling them may be a little newbie-unfriendly. Certain GPU and wireless chipsets may not work out of the box although this has supposedly become quite rare.

One of the most popular versions:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Installation instructions applicable to most others.

Also, how much HD space does it take up? I tend not to have too much open due to always obtaining large video files (and slowly deleting them to make space). I could really use with a nice big external hard drive, but they cost money, and money is less than abundant in my life at the moment.
Varies a lot because Linux is so modular. Useful systems start at around 100MB installed, the full-featured ones can set you back 5GB.
Linux programs tend to be built on common libraries, the latter already has many of them so won't grow much even if you install a lot of seemingly heavy applications.
Linux deals with NTFS well enough that you'll probably just keep your data on the Windows partition.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2013, 09:03:50 pm »

All I could think of would be an external macro-program that you open with your mouse and use with your mouse that does the keystrokes necessary to save your DF game.

I don't even know if that's possible, let alone how you would do it.

Onscreen keyboard? Default as part of windows, look in the accessibility bit of control panel
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »

What site should one use if one were wishing to quickly and easily legally upload some files to be publicly shared without registration and all that junk?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15:07 pm »

What site should one use if one were wishing to quickly and easily legally upload some files to be publicly shared without registration and all that junk?
Mediafire is good if you have an account, the public others need no registration.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2013, 06:27:06 pm »

Couldn't you simply use Dropbox? That's what I host everything with. (Yes, that requires registration, but operating it's so absurdly seamless, and it's generally so useful that it's worth the <5 minutes it takes).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2013, 06:47:44 pm »

dropbox is nice enough to just you need to setup a account and you can give a public link to people

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2013, 07:50:55 pm »

'Setup an account and send a link to people' Is the answer to all of the useful sites though (Mediafire, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc), except for the sites that make you sit on a timer.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:21 am »

So I was just recently attempting to build a computer. However, I have a problem.
The power LED lights up just fine when I plug it in, yet when I turn on the computer, the computer turns on for less than a second, then turns off. I'm assuming this is an issue with the power supply. Yet with all my attempts, I can't find the correct power usage for these parts. Could anyone please tell me the power usage of the listed parts? Thanks.

(Are there any other high energy consumption items I'm missing?)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2013, 04:06:13 am »

shit with that graphics card in? you are looking around 350 to 400 watts idle

edit: what kind of ram do you have?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 350