Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553664 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2013, 08:50:19 pm »

THat error log said it couldnt fix most issues. Is it a proper Windows install disc you have or some recovery disc thing?

If its not the hard drive failing, i think you just need a fresh install from a proper Windows install disc.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2013, 10:21:03 pm »

It's 3 years old, mind you. And it came with the OS pre-installed... though I do have a repair disk and a back-up, so getting around that is easy. And I did do a system recovery and hard drive format. Twice on the recovery, actually... and it's not the hard drive. I've experienced hard drive failure before, and this isn't it.
depends, that much corruption means something borked hardware wise either the drive got kicked or a power failure gone wrong. wipe it and see what happens.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2013, 10:55:17 pm »

FORMAT

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2013, 10:05:34 am »

I did a wipe, both intentionally and unintentionally... Combofix accidental wipe, then an actual wipe as I did a system image recovery. It didn't fix anything.
Maybe its a faulty restore or backup disc then if System recovery is getting loads of missing file errors on the backup media.

Download a new copy from here and do a fresh install, not a recovery or backup restore with all the crapware on it.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

If 4GB ram or under use 32 bit and get correct version i.e. Home Premium/ Pro/ Ultimate etc etc that will work with the key on the sticker on computer.

Just use Microsoft iso to dvd/usb tool to burn it to disc/usb, format the drive duing setup and rock on.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:09:27 am by foil »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2013, 10:33:56 pm »

Have you tried accessing it in Linux?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2013, 01:33:55 pm »

No need, managed to access it. Delete the volume, re-created it, and will now format.

Mind and download a proper copy of Windows and dont use the broken recovery or backup thats failed many times in the error logs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »

heh i had a feeling but you wouldn't have known until you format really.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2013, 01:35:51 pm »

Alright, I need some advice. I have a quite decent (runs skyrim at High and PS2 at low, minecraft with max settings and mods.) laptop, but it starts REALLY slowly. I have tried removing things that don't look essential with Starter, but is there anything else I can do?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:08 pm »

How many things are running at startup?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2013, 12:56:45 am »

I've got an RSS feed that doesn't consistently change the icon from new to viewed once I've viewed a page. Sometimes yes, sometimes no (but no more and more often lately). It's the MS Paint Adventures one, if it's dependent on the site in question, which may be the case since all my others work fine. How can I fix this?

Alright, I need some advice. I have a quite decent (runs skyrim at High and PS2 at low, minecraft with max settings and mods.) laptop, but it starts REALLY slowly. I have tried removing things that don't look essential with Starter, but is there anything else I can do?
All I can think of is to try running standard cleaners, such as CCleaner, and defragging in the hopes that it's just clutter. This is probably a bullshit idea, but see if you can add the task manager to the startup programs so you can examine resource usage as quickly as possible?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2013, 11:44:41 am »

Use hibernate maybe?

My laptop cold boots from hibernate with 5400rpm hard drive at same speed as mates laptop cold boots from scratch with a SSD, boot anim doesnt even have time to complete before going to desktop.

Also is it Vista or Win 7 u have?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2013, 12:00:46 pm »

This is an issue that's been annoying me for a while. Every time at startup, after logging in and loading the desktop, I get a couple of error messages saying that Superfetch has stopped working. This, unfortunately, also takes other things like Windows Aero and WLAN(wireless networking) services with it. Attempts to restart Superfetch(both manually and automatic) fail for a while, then all of a sudden it comes back, brining Aero and WLAN back with it.

Not sure what's causing it. Might be a virus, since it first did it while watching a bootlegged copy of a movie, and it's been doing it since. Avast hasn't found anything, although it's out of date and updating is a pain in the ass right now(connction drops, resulting in restarting the file download).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2013, 02:34:45 pm »

Use hibernate maybe?

My laptop cold boots from hibernate with 5400rpm hard drive at same speed as mates laptop cold boots from scratch with a SSD, boot anim doesnt even have time to complete before going to desktop.

Also is it Vista or Win 7 u have?
7. I have tried removing many things from startup with starter some time ago. I ran CCleaner for my registry tough, and it seems to be pretty fine now. Thanks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2013, 12:56:37 am »

This is an issue that's been annoying me for a while. Every time at startup, after logging in and loading the desktop, I get a couple of error messages saying that Superfetch has stopped working. This, unfortunately, also takes other things like Windows Aero and WLAN(wireless networking) services with it. Attempts to restart Superfetch(both manually and automatic) fail for a while, then all of a sudden it comes back, brining Aero and WLAN back with it.

Not sure what's causing it. Might be a virus, since it first did it while watching a bootlegged copy of a movie, and it's been doing it since. Avast hasn't found anything, although it's out of date and updating is a pain in the ass right now(connction drops, resulting in restarting the file download).
run a sfc scan and see what happens (remember to run the cmd as admin)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2013, 04:28:55 pm »

Do you have Steam running on Startup? I find that to be a huge sluggard. Besides that, having multiple things open at the same time can lag you much more than opening them one-at-a-time. There is a program called StartupDelayer that provides this functionality.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 350