Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553672 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:45 pm »

I suppose tablets are the same kind of tech, but I wouldn't call it a computer really ;)

As to the question, have you tried hitting the speakers or resetting it? Does the sound change if you plug in headphones of any kind?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1470389&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CMCw9uXdvbQCFYp_Qgodhz8A3w
its small but it will work with all of the latest technology and its Buffalo and they are a really good company.
This was a waste of money. Had no range whatsoever. Could rarely detect the neighbor's router, something that's at the very most 10-15ft away, and only for a second or so before it lost signal. [/isnothappyandhopesTigerdirect'sreturnpolicyworkshere] >:(

I was looking maybe something like this, although with this particular one, I do not know if I have a PCI-e slot for something like this. Maybe this, which specifically states a 400 meter range, since I know I have a spare PCI slot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2013, 03:25:32 pm »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1470389&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CMCw9uXdvbQCFYp_Qgodhz8A3w
its small but it will work with all of the latest technology and its Buffalo and they are a really good company.
This was a waste of money. Had no range whatsoever. Could rarely detect the neighbor's router, something that's at the very most 10-15ft away, and only for a second or so before it lost signal. [/isnothappyandhopesTigerdirect'sreturnpolicyworkshere] >:(

I was looking maybe something like this, although with this particular one, I do not know if I have a PCI-e slot for something like this. Maybe this, which specifically states a 400 meter range, since I know I have a spare PCI slot.
oh, well hell would i know you would be borrowing internets :P
pci would be fine just it adds a little work to the cpu. You should search for a MIMO wireless adapter as that would increase your range and bitrate.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2013, 03:25:49 pm »

oh, well hell would i know you would be borrowing internets :P
pci would be fine just it adds a little work to the cpu. You should search for a MIMO wireless adapter as that would increase your range and bitrate.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:32 pm »

I knew of one of my classmate that had a similar contraption with a very large, like 20*15*3cm antenna housing that can detect wireless network of our school's library with a slant range of about 400 meter and the target network inside the building. However he still got frequent disconnects. Too many interfering networks from the dormitoriy blocks that's also in the antenna's beam.

And I bet things like this, beyond its purpose, is also violating a RF emission control regulation or two. Not that anyone would care, at least for now.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2013, 01:25:50 am »

I knew of one of my classmate that had a similar contraption with a very large, like 20*15*3cm antenna housing that can detect wireless network of our school's library with a slant range of about 400 meter and the target network inside the building. However he still got frequent disconnects. Too many interfering networks from the dormitoriy blocks that's also in the antenna's beam.

And I bet things like this, beyond its purpose, is also violating a RF emission control regulation or two. Not that anyone would care, at least for now.
was it a cantennna?

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2013, 04:20:19 am »

Probably not, and it looked more like one of those panel antennae commonly used in public APs. And it came from an online shop.

Did I mention the university's main office is also in the beam, and is closer? No wonder that thing's almost useless - too much cross-network interference. There must be hundreds of them.
Adept Lurker

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2013, 06:29:56 am »

I suppose tablets are the same kind of tech, but I wouldn't call it a computer really ;)

As to the question, have you tried hitting the speakers or resetting it? Does the sound change if you plug in headphones of any kind?
I have restarted it several times, and if I plug in headphones it doesn't even do anything. The sound keeps coming out of the speakers.
Didn't try a factory reset tough. Mayby taking the battery out would help, but I have no idea how to open it so I can take the battery out.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2013, 10:49:10 am »

Minor audio issue. When ever I plug headphones into my desktop (front or back, using both headsets and pure headphones) I get a fairly audible feedback noise through said headphones, which grows more prominent when I move the mouse. I had thought it to be feedback from my wireless mouse or CB transmissions, but the problem persists with a wired mouse in a different house. I've muted the microphone input without improvement.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2013, 10:54:46 am »

I have restarted it several times, and if I plug in headphones it doesn't even do anything. The sound keeps coming out of the speakers.
Didn't try a factory reset tough. Mayby taking the battery out would help, but I have no idea how to open it so I can take the battery out.

If a factory reset won't work, then it's probably time to find your invoice.

Minor audio issue. When ever I plug headphones into my desktop (front or back, using both headsets and pure headphones) I get a fairly audible feedback noise through said headphones, which grows more prominent when I move the mouse. I had thought it to be feedback from my wireless mouse or CB transmissions, but the problem persists with a wired mouse in a different house. I've muted the microphone input without improvement.

Try a different headphone, reinstall soundcard driver, and try again.
Adept Lurker

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:11 am »

Done both already.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2013, 11:07:32 am »

Dust off your motherboard, maybe boot into an Ubuntu live CD and test your sound in that.

Anything beyond this is likely hardware-related.
Adept Lurker

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2013, 11:11:57 am »

if this is integrated this close to expected, the integrated audio really sucks and usually is the first thing to die on me.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2013, 01:51:37 pm »

so after getting over my paranoia i installed thunderbird and I'm just wondering i also have kaspersky 2013 do the anti-spam settings kick in automatically or do i need to install a plugin for thunderbird to gt kaspersky to do its job ? 
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2013, 08:10:12 pm »

this computer is dead bro, how old is it? also do you remember how much memory was being used up?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 350