Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553711 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »

Microsoft

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »

Alright, I'll call them and verify that the code I have will work.

Don't want to reformat my hard drive before I verify it'll work.

Now I just need to get a copy of Windows 7 I can install...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »

Alright, I'll call them and verify that the code I have will work.

Don't want to reformat my hard drive before I verify it'll work.

Now I just need to get a copy of Windows 7 I can install...
Umm well find a ISO of the OS and burn onto a disk like here's a site for windows 7 http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
The windows 7 installer will give you the option to format your hard drive.
Microsoft isn't going to help you if you ask them, they will give you shit for using a key on a different system.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2013, 06:37:14 pm »

The guy I talked to didn't give me shit. I sent them an e-mail asking them if they can unblock the Key, and we'll see in a few days. >w<

And yeah, I know where to get a copy of Windows 7 to reinstall with.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2013, 01:36:44 am »

I placed my old hard drive in my new desktop to get the data.

Problem is I can't put the old hard drive where the hard drive is supposed to go, physically, as it's basically separated from the rest of the case via a piece of metal (and not enough space on top due to the CD drive), so I placed it inside the case.

This still ok? There's a vent right in front of it, but it's not blocking it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2013, 11:09:50 am »

as long as the hard drive is secured it will be fine

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »

The guy I talked to didn't give me shit. I sent them an e-mail asking them if they can unblock the Key, and we'll see in a few days. >w<

The only way the key wont work is if its stolen or incorrect.

The key is basically a legal unlock code for windows and will only fail if blocked.

You might need to phone up the automated activation line which takes 2 minutes, or you might not even need to input the key if its saved in the bios like on most laptops these days.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:41 pm »

Fuck.

FL Studio 10 has problems with Windows 7 64bit, specifically in the exporting of .wav files with slice markers saved. As such, I'm now stuck with an immoveable object in my HDD, because I can't rename it, move it, rename the folders above it, move the folders above it or even delete it (with stuff such as Malwarebytes FileAssassin).

Attempting to click the thing will get Windows stuck on an infinite preview loop, trying to understand the file and of course failing indefinitely. Can't even check file properties. Guess a whole disk wipe is needed to kill it, and I'm absolutely not doing it with my important files stuck in this computer.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »

Have you tried killing it in Safe Mode? (with or without FileAssasin)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2013, 01:45:23 pm »

The only way the key wont work is if its stolen or incorrect.

The key is basically a legal unlock code for windows and will only fail if blocked.

You might need to phone up the automated activation line which takes 2 minutes, or you might not even need to input the key if its saved in the bios like on most laptops these days.
I was using the wrong key, but I found the right one hiding under the battery. The one I was using was the key used by the manufacturers...

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »

Fuck.

FL Studio 10 has problems with Windows 7 64bit, specifically in the exporting of .wav files with slice markers saved. As such, I'm now stuck with an immoveable object in my HDD, because I can't rename it, move it, rename the folders above it, move the folders above it or even delete it (with stuff such as Malwarebytes FileAssassin).

Attempting to click the thing will get Windows stuck on an infinite preview loop, trying to understand the file and of course failing indefinitely. Can't even check file properties. Guess a whole disk wipe is needed to kill it, and I'm absolutely not doing it with my important files stuck in this computer.

Download Process Explorer from Microsoft and search for the file and whats holding the lock on the file then close the handle.

procexp.exe

http://live.sysinternals.com/

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:14 pm »

Try that first, if that doesnt work, we are gonna have to go into the registry :/

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2013, 07:51:33 pm »

Have you tried killing it in Safe Mode? (with or without FileAssasin)

Yeah. Didn't work.

Fuck.

Download Process Explorer from Microsoft and search for the file and whats holding the lock on the file then close the handle.

procexp.exe

http://live.sysinternals.com/

Sure, will try this, but I doubt this will work.

File does create a lot of lag, but only if you touch it.

Try that first, if that doesnt work, we are gonna have to go into the registry :/

:/

I feared I might have to do this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:53:34 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2013, 08:18:43 pm »

The three four R's of computer fixes (except in special cases):
1. Reboot.
2. Rspecialized tools
3. Registry shenanigans
4. Reformat.

Having to go past the halfway point is usually a bad omen for the rest of your files.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2013, 02:18:52 am »

With the file issue have you tried also running chkdsk or other Windows disk checkers?

IF the file write issue happened during a hang or lag it might have scribbled on the drive a bit.  Scanning the disk for errors might fix it too if not to do with locks or permissions or etc etc.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 350