Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552541 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #720 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:22 pm »

And is there a way to have my secondary display use a different wallpaper from the primary?

If you're running Windows, I recommend Displayfusion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AndClayton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 13, 2014, 10:02:26 pm »

Thank you all for your recommendations!

I got Rainmeter and a good skin to go with it, as well as Displayfusion.

Everything works like a charm.

Now I just have to get used to having information ticking in my peripheral while I play games haha.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 13, 2014, 10:13:29 pm »

Anyone have advice for how to get rid of some adware? I've done everything I can think of or search for, and these bloody few remaining adware things just refuse to die. They seem practically invisible, other than the part where they're stupidly obnoxious.

Right now, it's interyield, adsdelivery1.com, and 'you might enjoy reading' that I can see.
HitmanPro, free edition. Make a boot USB, and crush it before it starts up.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 16, 2014, 11:11:31 am »

Right guys, I'll be getting myself a laptop, since I'm going to uni this year. I have needed a laptop for many years now put postponed it till the start of uni to get a more state of the art one. I have the following requirements:

1. Must be travel friendly, as in light and with a long battery life, approx 13 inches.
2. A high to a very high quality keyboard as I do a lot of typing now and the quantity will just increase further with uni.
3. A high definition screen
4. Good amounts of CPU and RAM for some programming and some games for when I am bored.
5. Built well, so it would survive my 3-5 years of uni and not become obsolete.

My current favourite is the Macbook Air. As it is very travel friendly with about 12 hours of battery and it is very light. Macs also have good keyboards.

My budget is somewhere around 1500 euros. So please, suggest to me some high functionality laptops that meet my requirements as best they can.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 16, 2014, 11:17:30 am »

I'd in the same boat, but I have a lesser budget and fuckapplesohard. But otherwise, university laptop with the same needs~

(Like, if you know of a laptop I can get that can fulfill a Biomed Eng. undergrads needs for 200 bucks, I swear I'll be your undying manlove slave. :v)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 16, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:15:41 pm by Tellemurius »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 16, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »

Hmm, conflicting requirements, 'cause "high powered" fights "portable/long battery life"  and "gaming/high def screen" fights 13".  Are you POSITIVE you must have all this in a mobile package?  You could get a lot more bang for your buck if you mainly game in your dorm room (or wherever).   For $1500 you could easily get
- a pretty beefy desktop gaming system/workstation with a 24" hi-res monitor and full sized keyboard and mouse
- a slim netbook or converting tablet that would be easy to carry and take notes on, and even run light/medium games and apps.  9-10" or so means you can slip it in a vest or coat pocket, 13" means lugging a bag which makes it easier to forget, and more likely to be left behind when you don't think you'll need it but later you find you do.

I personally do it this way, the laptop to do all I want was crazy expensive, and I'm already mortified every time I drop/bump my netbook, which happens fairly frequently :p   Having 2 means kind of a pain keeping em sync'd, but if you set it up right you're also backing up your stuff as you go, which is a HUGE plus for me ('cause otherwise I almost never get to it).  You're way more "future proof" too, because it's easy and WAY cheaper to upgrade the desktop system.   And "desktop" doesn't have to mean a monster - if you really want some portability, you can fit it in a slim case that could fit in a backpack, even with the monitor and keyboard.

Even if you decide "must all be in laptop" I really recommend getting the desktop monitor and keyboard, and docking it when you're at home - the difference in keyboards and screen real estate is HUGE.  And you can still get a small tablet or big smartphone.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »

Yea at most if you drop load on gaming laptops most you can pull is 1hr30mins, honestly with this much you can still get a decent laptop and a gaming rig.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 16, 2014, 02:21:28 pm »

I don't need a gaming laptop. I just need one that would run at the most medium games. I need a light laptop with a long battery life because I travel a lot and during that time I also need access to my computer. My optimum one would be an ultrabook that can run some medium level games in terms of system requirements.

I need a lot of battery, because I don't want to worry about finding a socket when on route. I specifically don't want a gaming laptop because those things usually weight a ton, generate a lot of heat and are probably pretty noisy.

Sorry, if that wasn't clear before. But pretty much yeah, I don't need to fully use up that budget.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 16, 2014, 03:02:14 pm »

Asus Zenbook UX302LG-C4014H http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/asus-zenbook-ux302lg-c4014h-blue-90nb02q1-m00310-a1010349.html
i7 model with nvidia graphics, review websites say you can get around 7 hours of roaming websites and office work. Closest i can recommend for getting a good ultrabook with some gaming capabilities than some macbook.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:34 pm »

My new laptop can't sleep. Every time it goes to sleep, the lights on the front stay on while the screen turns off, and it won't wake back up no matter how many buttons I press. The only thing I've done is updated the graphics card drivers, so that might be the cause? I'm going to try and uninstall and reinstall them, but anyone else have any ideas?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 16, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »

yea start with the drivers first and see what happens. also check with your power settings and make sure its on sleep.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 16, 2014, 05:41:14 pm »

Okay, so if I uninstall the AMD graphics drivers, the computer can sleep again. If I reinstall them, whether it is what the Dell site tells me to download or the AMD official site, it can no longer sleep. So I guess I get to choose, ability to sleep computer, or ability to play pretty games >_< Unless somebody else has an idea of what to try?

Also, quick rant...I was totally okay with Windows 8. I wasn't thrilled, but it wasn't as horrible as I expected. However, what is the use of having a Safe Mode if you can't activate it without a working, booting Windows installation? That doesn't help me at all >_<
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 16, 2014, 06:03:04 pm »

Couldn't you simply obtain an older version of the drivers, and then not update?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 21, 2014, 12:19:42 am »

Quinnr, what model of laptop / graphics card do you have? I'll try to search about for related issues, at least.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 350