Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552550 times)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 07, 2014, 01:10:35 am »

I'd say everything except the PSU and cooling looks decent - you might want to consider cranking the PSU up to 600W if you can afford the upgrade, just for insurance.
I use the exact same model of heatsink, so I can check whether it fits a 1150 mobo when I get back later (I use it with a 1155 mobo). The major issue for me with this heatsink is its size: it doesn't fit into my case, which has a side fan, so I had to shuffle the fan frame around so that everything could fit inside.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:44 am »

I'd say everything except the PSU and cooling looks decent - you might want to consider cranking the PSU up to 600W if you can afford the upgrade, just for insurance.
I use the exact same model of heatsink, so I can check whether it fits a 1150 mobo when I get back later (I use it with a 1155 mobo). The major issue for me with this heatsink is its size: it doesn't fit into my case, which has a side fan, so I had to shuffle the fan frame around so that everything could fit inside.
1150 matches the same die size as 1155 so the cooler is compatible.

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
  • "Don't feed the badger..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:36 pm »

I recently reinstalled windows 7 and now I can't connect to the internet, I'm missing the Ethernet Controller, and the Network controller. I tried Googling them (on another laptop obviously)  but couldn't find anything that didn't look shady. "You need Network controller? TRY NEW RUSSIAN MALE ENHANCMENT PILLS" etc. Anyway, can any of you fine people help me out? I'm running windows 7 64bit on an Asus x54h laptop.

Help me bay12, you're my only hope.  ;)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 08, 2014, 01:23:57 pm »

My first thought would be to check Asus support and see if they have the drivers you need.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
  • "Don't feed the badger..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:52 pm »

I've already been there. When I check my device manager it says I'm missing the controller, am I missing something obvious? I had a look through the Asus drivers they have and there as no mention of network/Ethernet controllers.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 08, 2014, 02:23:05 pm »

Have you tried plugging something in to your ethernet port?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 08, 2014, 02:58:48 pm »

Try checking the support page for other Asus laptops of similar specs for drivers. The current wired ethernet standard is fairly old, to the point where "antiquated" might well be accurate (wireless is "sexier" and gets more development.) Odds are that they've been using the exact same hardware for a long time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 08, 2014, 03:23:43 pm »

Boot to the bios and make sure they're enabled.  And are you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE you didn't see a driver on asus support page?   'Cause when I go to look for drivers for x54h, I see "Athros LAN Driver  Version  V1.0.0.35"...

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=X54H&p=3&s=362   under "LAN" (since you said windows 7 64 bit).

ED: Updated 'cause he did say win7 64 bit not 32 bit.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:31:22 pm by gimlet »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #698 on: May 09, 2014, 12:47:31 pm »

I've got a bit of an unusual question here, and I don't have high hopes for a solution, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I've just been assigned a company email address for my new magazine editor job. One of my 3 new bosses insists that I conduct absolutely every piece of office correspondence using the new email address (even though no one outside the company is going to see the messages). He also insists that I answer all emails within 24 hours, even though my job isn't actually supposed to start for a few months and I'm massively overloaded at my current job. Anyway, the webmail service is hideous and it jars my hypersensitivity every time I look at it. It's busy, clumsy, and not very functional.

Is there any possibly way around this? Is there any service that would let me keep this email address without having to use the webmail application? I mean, I can set up the mail to forward to another address, but I still have to have all outgoing mail for work coming from the business address. If I forward it to my current gmail address, outgoing messages will be from gmail, which for some reason I can't understand is not acceptable. Is there a way to forward the mail to another address and have outgoing mail still coming from the work address? Also, apparently I MUST use the company signature line (including an image which doesn't display on the webmail site) in all outgoing mail, so that's an issue too...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 09, 2014, 12:57:27 pm »

Assuming you can use your own computer, have you tried using a desktop client like thunderbird or to read/write your emails from/with that address? You'd need to know a few details about connecting to the mail server, but it would let you send things from that addresss since it actually is doing so, just without the hideous webmail service's gui. If you have to use a computer at their location what i said is probably irrelevant :-\
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #700 on: May 09, 2014, 01:13:10 pm »

When I'm working in the office I'll probably have to use that hideous server, but I won't be actually starting this job until August (although apparently I'm already expected to prioritize it over my current full-time job, a detail that was not mentioned to me before I accepted the position). And I'll only be there part time, so half the week I'll be communicating from home. I'll check out Thunderbird. I've never used anything like that, but hopefully it will work. Maybe I can even get them to let me install it on the work computers.

I'm also fighting a battle against Office 2010. They insist on saving all documents in .docx format. You know, the format that only exists to force users to purchase a newer, uglier, less functional version of the software that has worked just fine for ages. Obviously it doesn't make any difference to them if I send them files in .doc format, but I'll have to find a way to convert all the .docx ones they send me. I think OpenOffice can do that, can't it? Or maybe there's a simple conversion program somewhere. I haven't looked into it yet. Open to tips. They can install Office 2010 on my computer over my cold fucking corpse.

Of course, that doesn't save me from having to use 2010 when I'm actually in the office, where I'll be doing most of my work. I think I might just haul my laptop in every day and connect that way. The software they have on their systems is just... just the worst possible versions of all types of software. I can't even conceive of how they have managed so far. I mean, it's not an office full of stuffy old lawyers or something, people who didn't grow up with computers. Just about all of the people working there seem to be under 40. So how is it possible that they never learned good software from bad? That new =/= better? My frigging grandmother knows better. The other girl who's starting with me has a mac, and they all panicked when they heard that because they thought that meant she couldn't use FTP. Seriously. They were discussing the possibility of lending her a work computer, so that she could use their FTP software. And when I said not to worry, she could do it with loads of different programs including a simple browser extension, they all looked at me suspiciously, like I was stirring up trouble or something.

I'd like to reform all their computers, but somehow it seems to me I should probably wait until I've been working there a while before doing that. This one guy already seems annoyed with me for refusing a free copy of Word 2010 and not coming to the training day dressed in a pantsuit. I've been to this office several times before, to chat with them, submit articles, and do voice work, and everyone has always been laid back and friendly, dressed in normal, comfortable clothes. Suddenly it's super-formal out of nowhere, and it's really making me nervous. If I'm expected to be super-formal with the handful of people I'll be working with nearly every day, I will hate this job. I am not that kind of person, and people like that make me uncomfortable.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:24 pm »

I know for certain LibreOffice can both open and save documents as .doc, and I'm fairly sure it can open .docx, but you'd probably need to test that to make sure. I have no idea if it can save as .docx.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:20:11 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #702 on: May 09, 2014, 01:21:14 pm »

Just had a look at the LibreOffice web site, it says it does have .docx compatibility. How is that program, anyway? Better than OpenOffice? Because that one I don't like. Lacks too many functions I'm used to from Word.

Thanks for all the quick feedback, guys. And sorry for the bits of grouchy ranting. I just feel like I've been on the wrong end of a bait-and-switch with this new job... : /

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:25 pm »

LibreOffice is what OpenOffice would be if the latter still updated. So yes it is better, technically.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »

Also, Gmail should be able to send mail from other addresses in addition to receiving them; I know I do it all the time. You just have to go to the Settings menu, under Accounts and Import there's the option to send mail as another address. You may want to send yourself a test email to make sure it came out alright, considering the company signature.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:10:00 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 350