Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552554 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 04, 2014, 05:39:15 am »

I want to build myself a computer. Since I have no experience at all with self-made computers, I went to http://www.logicalincrements.com/ and just picked everything from the Excellent row, trying to pick those things that would be more suited to upgrading in the future. Here's my list:

Graphics: Nvidia GTX 770
CPU: Intel i5 4570
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 1TB
HSF: 212 Evo
Power: Rosewill Capstone-650
Case: Corsair 400R

Any obvious improvements/suggestions there?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 04, 2014, 05:46:36 am »

Yes. My advice would be to visit Tom's hardware, and see if there's anything new in the same price range, as logical increments is out of date slightly.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 04, 2014, 07:20:37 am »

I want to build myself a computer. Since I have no experience at all with self-made computers, I went to http://www.logicalincrements.com/ and just picked everything from the Excellent row, trying to pick those things that would be more suited to upgrading in the future. Here's my list:

Graphics: Nvidia GTX 770
CPU: Intel i5 4570
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 1TB
HSF: 212 Evo
Power: Rosewill Capstone-650
Case: Corsair 400R

Any obvious improvements/suggestions there?
It really all depends on how much money you want to spend, man.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 04, 2014, 09:26:09 am »

I figured it could be possible that someone in this thread would know about those parts and could tell me that one or two of those parts weren't recommendable or if there were better alternatives in the same price range or something.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 04, 2014, 11:39:07 am »

Hard drive is quite small. Due to the sheer size of modern games, 1 Tb will fill up fairly fast, even if you don't also intend to use it as a media center. I'd reccomend a 2 or 3 Tb drive, economising slightly on the case or CPU if necessary to compensate.

The other factor you're ignoring is heat. Not so much for the component's sake as for yours. High end rigs dump huge amounts of waste heat into a room, and this can make things rather uncomfortable for anyone in the same room. A friend of mine currently runs a secondary air conditioner (despite having central air) to make his computer room bearable, and is planning to drill holes in his wall to allow placing the computer in another room's unused closet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 04, 2014, 11:48:34 am »

I'd rather have the cpu over more hard drive space (since theres likely to be more than one sata slot, or a spare usb 3.0 plug for an external HDD if you need additional space), but Lord Shonus is entirely right on the heat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 04, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »

I was going to say as well, in that price range I would spring for a 2TB HDD since the difference would be marginal compared to your overall costs. As always, the specific build on LI is all compatible with itself. If it's strictly for gaming, you might consider NOT buying 16GB of RAM, and 8 instead. You can upgrade to 16 later, when there are games that actually use that much RAM. Right now the only use for 16GB is video editing, photoshop and similar. You might use the money saved to make sure you're getting really fast ram. Oh, and the prices on those processors seem to have climbed since LI last checked, so you might shop around for something cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about waste heat TOO much, since it's an intel rig and you're not overclocking.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 04, 2014, 12:52:28 pm »

I was planning on using LI's website too, and focus on the case and motherboard because they're harder to upgrade.

Is there any other components I should make sure to focus my money on? Like, is the CPU hard to upgrade as well? Power supply?

Thanks for the Toms Hardware rec, too~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #683 on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:42 am »

Youtube just let me upload a huge video. It took more than 4 hours because my upload speed maxes out at about 15 kb/s. When it was finally done, it said "oh, sorry, your video is too long. BUT you can keep it anyway if you just give us your phone number."

Now, leaving aside the fact that the site knew how big the file would be before allowing me to spend 4 hours uploading it, because there's clearly nothing I can do about this trap to get people to waste their time and then feel obligated to provide personal information so it wasn't wasted after all, should I give them my phone number? This is Google we're talking about. (Ah, remember the days before Google owned everything and we were all "yay Google!"...)

On the one hand, they already know just about everything about me. There's no real getting around that. I  use Gmail, I used to use Google Docs (and now my new job is switching everything in the company over to Google as well), I use Chrome for some things. But my phone number... That's always been something I don't connect to the internet in any way, shape, or form. I've always known that anyone who has my number actually knows me. If I give it to Google...

I tried using a free online SMS service but it didn't work. Apparently Google can tell what kind of phone service it's sending to and requires a real-life phone.

Has anyone else "verified" their Youtube/Google accounts with a phone number? Is it okay to do this? Did you start getting calls from telemarketers? What are they going to do with my number? I don't even see any privacy policy on the phone verification page to vaguely reassure me that they won't be selling my info...

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 05, 2014, 02:11:47 am »

Has anyone else "verified" their Youtube/Google accounts with a phone number? Is it okay to do this?
Well, since I own an Android phone with Gmail, Google now has my phone number. No, I haven't had telemarketers call randomly.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #685 on: May 05, 2014, 08:35:52 am »

Sappho: Generally, you can trust Google not to do cheap things like selling your personal information to third parties. Usually, it keeps all its data secret and instead sells the knowledge of that information to advertising companies, eg "give us money and the target demographic and we'll show your ad to the right people."

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 05, 2014, 08:44:50 am »

Last time I needed to verify my anything with a phone number it was gmail. I ended up with one text and nothing since.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #687 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:54 am »

Thanks guys. I went ahead and did it. I still resent having to do it, but I suppose it's not worth getting into a rage over.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 05, 2014, 11:16:24 am »

Youtube just let me upload a huge video. It took more than 4 hours because my upload speed maxes out at about 15 kb/s. When it was finally done, it said "oh, sorry, your video is too long. BUT you can keep it anyway if you just give us your phone number."

Now, leaving aside the fact that the site knew how big the file would be before allowing me to spend 4 hours uploading it, because there's clearly nothing I can do about this trap to get people to waste their time and then feel obligated to provide personal information so it wasn't wasted after all, should I give them my phone number? This is Google we're talking about. (Ah, remember the days before Google owned everything and we were all "yay Google!"...)

On the one hand, they already know just about everything about me. There's no real getting around that. I  use Gmail, I used to use Google Docs (and now my new job is switching everything in the company over to Google as well), I use Chrome for some things. But my phone number... That's always been something I don't connect to the internet in any way, shape, or form. I've always known that anyone who has my number actually knows me. If I give it to Google...

I tried using a free online SMS service but it didn't work. Apparently Google can tell what kind of phone service it's sending to and requires a real-life phone.

Has anyone else "verified" their Youtube/Google accounts with a phone number? Is it okay to do this? Did you start getting calls from telemarketers? What are they going to do with my number? I don't even see any privacy policy on the phone verification page to vaguely reassure me that they won't be selling my info...
The two step verification process from Google is somewhat ok, if you get the verification popup on a google login it just simply sends you a text with the code nothing else. My only gripes is dealing with that as a android dev and the stupid phone is locked for receiving sms messages :P

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 06, 2014, 05:58:42 pm »

I'd like some feedback on whether the parts I picked are compatible or not, and if there's any particularly out of place component choices I made. Never built a computer before so do explain if there's anything that I need to correct.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll mostly be gaming with it. It'd be nice if I could upgrade it a bit in a few years to keep it topical. I expect to be able to overclock it a bit if the mood strikes me. My biggest doubt is probably about cooling and PSU.

Thanks for any assistance.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 350