Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552569 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #645 on: April 13, 2014, 11:03:35 pm »

Do you have that Linksys router *in addition* to the one from your internet provider?  Because you will (almost certainly) need to port forward on the ISP router (whichever one is doing the NAT translation, probably the one that is set to provide the DHCP addresses).

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 14, 2014, 08:31:32 am »

If you have multiple routers in the house, you will need to port forward on all of them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #647 on: April 19, 2014, 03:47:26 am »

I've recently noticed that all of my games put their extra folders (saves, screenshots, settings, etc.) straight into the Documents folder. I like to keep that folder tidy and organized, but right now it's full of this garbage, folders with names like "Saves," "Saved Games," "SaveGame," "Userdata," etc., which I can't move or delete without losing game data. I feel like these folders should be within the folders of the games themselves, somewhere in Program Files, or at least within the "My Games" folder that Windows 7 so graciously created for me within Documents. Yet everything goes to the main Documents folder (with the sole exceptions of the Civilization series and Papo Y Yo, which actually use the "My Games" folder) and it's driving me crazy.

There has to be some way to fix this. Can anyone help?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #648 on: April 19, 2014, 04:16:32 am »

Some games might give you the option to change their saved files, but normally, no, you don't have any choice.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #649 on: April 19, 2014, 04:49:18 am »

Is it normal that everything dumps to My Documents though? Is there any way to change the default folder programs save stuff to? Someone in another forum suggested there might be a way to use a registry edit to do that but I'd have no idea how to go about doing that...

It's just really irritating. There are so many junk folders in my documents that I can't easily find the things I put in there on purpose. This never used to happen. Saves used to go in the game folders. What the hell happened?

The current guilty parties are:
Botanicula
Broken Sword - Director's Cut
Driftmoon
Dungeons of Dredmor
Proteus
Puzzler
Redshirt
Rogue Legacy
Cthulhu Saves the World
everything by Spiderweb Software
Children of the Nile
Under the Ocean

That's a lot of garbage folders. When did this become the norm?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #650 on: April 19, 2014, 05:54:13 am »

I think it always was the norm. I remember that games like Mabinogi or Dungeon and Fighters Online, nearly five years or more old, saved to Documents.

Looking at my own Documents, I have

Universe Sandbox
a MyGame folder that holds 5 games (I'm cool with that)
a Robot Entertainment folder
Telltale Games folder
Algoodoo
Under The Ocean Alpha 1
Mabinogi

Other, non-games program directories in Documents are

Visual Studio 2013
Visual Studio 2010
Processing
Vega phone backups
mekia ebook reader
Native Instruments
Cakewalk
ezPDF Reader 2.0
Netbeans
Origin Lab
Finale
Adobe
Visual Studio 2008 (?! I don't even have it)

So basically all programs like to stick stuff into Documents.

(If I was a cheap game programmer, I'd hardcode the save folder to My Documents instead of putting in an easy registry thing to change it. :P Don't take my word for it, though! Some games might actually have a save directory redirection feature.)

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #651 on: April 19, 2014, 06:51:32 am »

If I can't fix all of them, then it's not worth the effort. And several of them I've already checked, they can't be changed.

This just seems like really shitty behavior from the developers. They have their OWN folder for ALL their shit. Why can't the saves and such go in there as well? I remember all games saving to their own folders, somewhere in Program Files usually. THAT is the folder that belongs to programs. "My Documents" is supposed to be mine to organize and use how I please.

It feels invasive, like they've decided that even though they live in the apartment down the hall, they still have the right to keep their food in my fridge. Yes, they have their own fridge, but they want to use MINE. And they're perfectly happy to shove all my stuff out of the way in order to do it.

So I guess I'll give up on this and make a new folder to keep all my personal stuff in. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to have to re-work the folders and shortcuts on my computer, but damn it, I want my documents folder to be tidy!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #652 on: April 19, 2014, 07:03:55 am »

Yeah. :( I already made my own Documents folder on a different drive, too.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 19, 2014, 07:20:42 am »

It's been like that ever since Windows XP. You can move the "My Documents" folder (which is what the registry edit does AFAIK), but that doesn't prevent programs from dumping stuff there. I always make my own folders for my actual stuff, that's the easiest way to prevent mixing stuff up.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 19, 2014, 10:03:02 am »

That became the standard in order to make it easier to back up your saves (remember, this is the pre-cloud era that we're talking about) when transferring files to a new computer, upgrading to a new version of windows, or reparing a damaged installation (assuming that the entire hard drive hadn't failed yet). Microsoft wanted that as a standard because people were sticking with their old Windows (due to the hassle involved when every game has a different way of making save files in the game's folder), which not only cost Microsoft the money from selling those new versions, but saddled them with a somewhat undeserved reputation as an unstable malware magnet (Microsoft's reputation as being unstable and easy to attack comes as much from the ubiquity of the platform (thus inviting far more attacks then competitors) and the fact that there's so many older versions of Windows out there that it would cost too much to actively support). Game developers wanted the change because too many people were reluctant to upgrade their hardware (which often required a wipe in those days due to the old drivers conflicting), which meant that they weren't able to buy the latest, most demanding offerings. Gamers, mostly, supported the change because it made them less likely to lose saves to hard drive failure, which was much more common then then it is now (due mostly to dirty power, not shoddy design. The increasing ubiquity of UPS devices has greatly reduced this problem.)

At the time, it made a great deal of sense, and was quite popular. Granted, it would have been better to add an extra folder to keep things seperate (putting all the game saves and app data there), but that's an understandable oversight.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:08 am »

So, a little while ago I bought a graphics card, didn't have an opportunity to test it until after the Newegg return time had run out, and found that it was broken (artifacts occurred shortly under any use, crashed immediately during DirectX games, Video Memory Test found errors). I managed to register it with the manufacturer, Asus, and found it still had a manufacturer warranty. I mailed it in for repair, and three weeks later, they claim to have repaired it and I've finally gotten it back. Sure enough, it crashes almost immediately when put under stress E.G. any 3D game. They've bloody popped it into a computer, looked at the desktop for two minutes, and decided it was fine. I know the computer works fine with other cards.

Is there any recourse available when the manufacturer completely fails to fix a card? The whole thing was a complete waste of time and money, I still have an expensive paperweight and I paid for shipping too. Currently, with appropriate drivers, the computer goes to a black screen and usually shuts down when the graphics card is under any stress. Is there some fix I might be missing? Do I have any options other than just buying another graphics card?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 22, 2014, 07:27:45 am »

You could try just RMAing it again.  It's unlikely but possible they just sent you another dud.  I once went through a rash of dying hard drives in a laptop where I had to RMA 3 back-to-back to get one that worked.

I'm not sure if you've got many other options.  You say other cards work, but have you used any that require the same level of power?  It could be that your power supply simply isn't up to the challenge.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 22, 2014, 08:20:53 am »

One of my fans stopped working, big one on the side panel. Without it my case overheats quite a bit. The thing had been struggling a bit before it stopped working, sometimes requiring a little push to get it started, so I'm guessing it's showing its age. I can verify it is recieving power, it's just not getting it to spin.

Suggested course of action?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 22, 2014, 08:37:16 am »

You could try just RMAing it again.  It's unlikely but possible they just sent you another dud.  I once went through a rash of dying hard drives in a laptop where I had to RMA 3 back-to-back to get one that worked.
They purport to have "repaired" the card, rather than replaced it. I don't imagine they would do different a second time, and I'm hesitant to spend more money on shipping and wait another three weeks if it's going to be the same damn thing again.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 22, 2014, 11:44:08 am »

One of my fans stopped working, big one on the side panel. Without it my case overheats quite a bit. The thing had been struggling a bit before it stopped working, sometimes requiring a little push to get it started, so I'm guessing it's showing its age. I can verify it is recieving power, it's just not getting it to spin.

Suggested course of action?

You could replace it, fans cost under £5 for generic no brand ones.

Might just be clogged with dust too and needs a clean.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 350