Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553313 times)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #615 on: April 04, 2014, 11:43:00 am »

Look at the configuration of your shell, like .bashrc or .zshrc.

If you want to look at this in detail, I recommend using the Arch Wiki entry for the relevant shell (this should work for pretty much any *nix, Arch is a somewhat geeky Linux distro known for its good documentation), then go to the manpages of the commands mentioned there that apply to your case.

If you just want to set it up like skyrunner, copy their .bashrc or .zshrc into your home directory.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #616 on: April 05, 2014, 02:47:12 am »

The connection on campus seems to be unreliable. At some point, I began pinging 8.8.8.8 to test the connection (and letting it continue to ping), which I eventually associated with the connection working again.

Is this a placebo and a post hoc fallacy or does it have some possibility of actually maintaining the connection?

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 05, 2014, 05:08:13 am »

i know this is kinda "off topic" but i'm buying a new cellphone soon and i wanted to know what would you guys suggest as the best one with a good operating system and general goodness and usefullness (word?) of a phone

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 05, 2014, 07:22:09 am »

Recommendations would vary based on what you're comfortable with, but I hear the Moto X is a pretty decent mid-range Android smartphone..
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2014, 10:15:25 am »

Recommendations would vary based on what you're comfortable with, but I hear the Moto X is a pretty decent mid-range Android smartphone..
Moto X is great for any newbies coming in, for Windows Phone 8 anything above Nokia 600s are good to use.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2014, 10:34:04 am »

I'm a huge Sony Xperia fanboy, so there's that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »

Moto X is great for any newbies coming in, for Windows Phone 8 anything above Nokia 600s are good to use.
I'd certainly recommend Android over Windows Phone, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »

I'd certainly recommend Android over Windows Phone, though.
Windows Phones ARE for complete noobs though, its alot easier to jump in plus Microsoft put in tons of work to minimize any UI lag so response time is tremendously amazing for even the low ends. Your only issue will always be the small app stores compared to everyone else but honestly i found all the same apps i ever needed in between android, IOS, and Win Phone 8. Android is a very powerful platform but unless you are like me and like to spend time in terminals and recovery boots, its just any other phone operating system.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »

Whether or not Windows Phone is great, its still rather limited in apps and in how likely it is anyone you know actually has one. I'll second Android.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 05, 2014, 04:53:33 pm »

Whether or not Windows Phone is great, its still rather limited in apps and in how likely it is anyone you know actually has one. I'll second Android.
I live in a field of iphones so anything else is rare :P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #625 on: April 05, 2014, 10:41:05 pm »

I have this weird problem. I have znc on my server, which is an IRC bouncer. It is listening on port 6667. Every time I try to connect to znc, though, my entire server freezes up and refuses to reply to eg port 22 (for ssh), and of course my IRC client fails to connect to the IRC server that is behind ZNC. It starts replying again after a few minutes.

This wasn't a problem for my older server :< Any pointers as to where the problem is?

(I know that only TCP is open for ports 6666-6667 as well as 22).

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 06, 2014, 12:02:09 am »

UDP would freeze up but thats not the case here, can you still see network activity or does the actual process freeze?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #627 on: April 06, 2014, 12:33:16 am »

What I see from my side is (1) if I'm already connected via ssh, I can't type anything into the terminal (2) if I'm not connected and try to connect via ssh, it can't even get auth information.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2014, 01:51:54 am »

Ok there seems to be problem with response, i assume pinging works well enough. Best i can recommend is reset the network adapter first to see if its just being wonky (ol turn it off and on)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2014, 02:58:07 am »

Well, the server still responds after a while. It's just that trying to connect to the IRC port makes it not respond for a few minutes, and I'm wondering why.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 350