Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553345 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 09, 2014, 03:20:41 pm »

I've often had trhe problem be dust caked on the fan itself, with the sink being relatively clean. Of ocurse, I own a great many books, so my dust levels are probably above average.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 09, 2014, 08:06:54 pm »

I usually shut down the computer and q-tip the fans if they're that bad.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 24, 2014, 07:36:17 am »

Hello,

I have a slight dilemma with accessing my SVN from school. I have established that they seem to have blocked the ssh and telnet ports, however it would be nice to work on my projects and break and lunch as we have access to computers then rather than placing it on a USB.

Any ideas?
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 24, 2014, 11:17:33 am »

Hello,

I have a slight dilemma with accessing my SVN from school. I have established that they seem to have blocked the ssh and telnet ports, however it would be nice to work on my projects and break and lunch as we have access to computers then rather than placing it on a USB.

Any ideas?
Does FTP still work?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 01, 2014, 05:11:22 pm »

On my new computer I am unable to get the sound to work. My current setup is a DVI to VGA cord for the video.  For audio I have some 3.5mm cable to the red/white cable adapter.  I installed the audio drivers but that still doesn't work.   My graphics card has a mini HDMI port.   Would a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable carry sound and video? 
EDIT:  I've been able to get the sound working on my earphones.   Still can't get sound anywhere else.   Also, I am using a TV for both my audio and my video, so that might possibly be part of the problem.   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:38:29 pm by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 01, 2014, 07:07:47 pm »

On my new computer I am unable to get the sound to work. My current setup is a DVI to VGA cord for the video.  For audio I have some 3.5mm cable to the red/white cable adapter.  I installed the audio drivers but that still doesn't work.   My graphics card has a mini HDMI port.   Would a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable carry sound and video? 
EDIT:  I've been able to get the sound working on my earphones.   Still can't get sound anywhere else.   Also, I am using a TV for both my audio and my video, so that might possibly be part of the problem.

Your computer is probably set to use the HDMI (which will carry sound and video) as the default sound device. I'm not sure what OS you're running, but on Windows 7 you change this by going to the control panel, picking "sound," then right clicking on  "speakers" to "set as default device". Win8 is probably similar.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:47 am »

mini-hdmi to HDMI does carry over audio and if its in the back of a graphics card then by all means it will have audio.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 02, 2014, 12:15:48 pm »

I managed to hook up speakers that I "borrowed" from my dads computer, and that worked. The problem is probally with hooking it up to a TV.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 02, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »

i had the same issue like this days ago, your graphics card has to be able to see the hdmi device as a tv else it wont output audio.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 02, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »

I managed to hook up speakers that I "borrowed" from my dads computer, and that worked. The problem is probally with hooking it up to a TV.

Are you sure that you're putting the audio into the correct input on the TV? Those things are often horribly labeled.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 02, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »

Are you sure that you're putting the audio into the correct input on the TV? Those things are often horribly labeled.
The only thing I haven't tried is putting the white cords in the red slots and the red cords in the white slots.   I have four different sets that I can plug it into, so that was something  I spent a bit of time on. 
i had the same issue like this days ago, your graphics card has to be able to see the hdmi device as a tv else it wont output audio.
What settings would I need to use to do that?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 02, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »

Are you sure that your 1/8th" to RCA works? Those can be a pain in the ass to deal with, and you're much better off just using HDMI.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:45 pm »

Are you sure that your 1/8th" to RCA works? Those can be a pain in the ass to deal with, and you're much better off just using HDMI.
No idea.   I'm planning on getting a mini-HDMI to HDMI cord tomorrow, and until then I'm using a set of regular speakers.   

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2014, 09:04:56 pm »

The only thing I haven't tried is putting the white cords in the red slots and the red cords in the white slots.   I have four different sets that I can plug it into, so that was something  I spent a bit of time on. 
What settings would I need to use to do that?
honestly i do not remember, all of my stuff detects automatically so im assuming it reads off the digital board.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #614 on: April 04, 2014, 11:15:37 am »

So when I change user to ZNC from skyrunner (who was the original admin on the Linux Ubuntu machine), the pretty green text and directory information all disappears. Does anyone know how to make it come back? :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 350