Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553576 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »

Turned out the graphics card burned out. According to the guy at the repair shop, the card I had(ATI Radeon 4800s) has a tendency to do that. And then he sold me an nVidia card of roughly the same capabilities for $70.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 25, 2013, 09:04:18 pm »

Turned out the graphics card burned out. According to the guy at the repair shop, the card I had(ATI Radeon 4800s) has a tendency to do that. And then he sold me an nVidia card of roughly the same capabilities for $70.
Y'know, I had the same thing happen with a similar ATI card, only much more dramatically; I had the screen go totally garbled and colorful.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:23 am »

Wouldn't it be more adequate to post your tech problems to a tech oriented forum? TomsHardware, for example.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:12 am »

Wouldn't it be more adequate to post your tech problems to a tech oriented forum? TomsHardware, for example.
Shhh, Bay12 has an awesome tech-base :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2013, 09:48:28 am »

Yes, it could be, but some people like asking questions in places they sorta know better instead of making another forum account to ask a question. And theres plenty of people here who know things about computers. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2013, 10:40:54 am »

I tried that. Posted my problem and basically got, "Sucks to be you," as a reply. *shrugs*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:51 am »

Y'know, I had the same thing happen with a similar ATI card, only much more dramatically; I had the screen go totally garbled and colorful.
Actually, that's how my problem started. It did that, I restarted, then dead card.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2013, 12:05:09 am »

Speaking of graphics cards, I now have this issue and want to make sure it is not a hardware issue. I have a laptop (windows 7) with an integrated ATI Radeon 4250 gfx card. After receiving it from SquareTrade and being told it was "fixed" I am having issues. Any time I watch youtube, every few seconds the screen goes black and then comes back on with a notification that the display driver stopped working and has been recovered. No 3d games will run that I've tested. I tried installing new display adapter drivers through windows update and it didn't help after restarting. I tried installing AMD's CCC drivers manually and it didn't help after restarting. What's the next step?

EDIT: It was an obscure firmware issue. Apparently they screwed with the bios at the service depot. I updated it and it recognized the card properly again. All is working.

EDIT2: Or not. 3d games still won't run and youtube is still giving the problem. Looking into this... I detest graphics card problems.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:48:09 am by freeformschooler »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2013, 01:03:35 am »

laptop graphic cards are absoluting the worst especially the old ones. Outdated versions were essentially integrated gpus on the motherboard, Nvidia and ATI left all of the driver updates with the OEM manufacts which never bothered really to update the drivers. try completely removing all of drivers then look for unofficial drivers to install. They may not be designed for your graphics card but with the 4250 probably running on catalyst 11 you will see vast improvement to 12

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2013, 10:09:47 am »

I think you're right about the catalyst thing, actually: I'll try to downgrade to 11 later on. For the time being, removing Catalyst 12 manually then having windows search for drivers itself seems to have fixed the 3d/youtube problem.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2013, 11:50:01 am »

I think you're right about the catalyst thing, actually: I'll try to downgrade to 11 later on. For the time being, removing Catalyst 12 manually then having windows search for drivers itself seems to have fixed the 3d/youtube problem.
ok you are running the default drivers for windows, that should be fine but gaming shouldn't be working...

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2013, 11:29:16 am »

Does the laptop have dual graphics chips?  One for low power usage and one for gaming?

Also never use Windows Updates for drivers, they are usually very out of date and missing 2/3 of the features.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2013, 11:49:28 am »

Does the laptop have dual graphics chips?  One for low power usage and one for gaming?

Also never use Windows Updates for drivers, they are usually very out of date and missing 2/3 of the features.
a HD4250 ATI chip? very very doubtful :I

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2013, 06:15:22 pm »

Can someone give me a ballpark figure for how much a decent gaming computer would cost?  I don't need it to run Crysis on maximum settings, just be able to play modern games at a decent setting, along with being able to be upgraded as time goes on, since Intel laptops suck at that job.  I'm starting to feel like every time I turn my Xbox on that it's going to die, and due to some recent events I've managed to save up almost 400 bucks, along with finally being able to get semi-unlimited internet access, as long as I stay up REALLY late. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2013, 06:49:19 pm »

Can someone give me a ballpark figure for how much a decent gaming computer would cost?  I don't need it to run Crysis on maximum settings, just be able to play modern games at a decent setting, along with being able to be upgraded as time goes on, since Intel laptops suck at that job.  I'm starting to feel like every time I turn my Xbox on that it's going to die, and due to some recent events I've managed to save up almost 400 bucks, along with finally being able to get semi-unlimited internet access, as long as I stay up REALLY late. 
i suggest either the AMD HD 7950 or the nividia ti660 can crank the game around medium and high settings fine (Crytek has once again created another engine of deathwork for computers :D). Highly recommended to get quad core for this game as crysis 3 utilizes all cores available. Since money is going to be a issue with this build i suggest going for a full AMD build. Yes their processor sucks for singlethreading but their multithreading is a blast and 8 cores for 200 bucks who the hell is complaining. Since my build was around 750 bucks with a HD7770 prepare to go out of your way of 900 dollars for a Crysis box.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 350