Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 553597 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:30 am »

My computer isn't starting anymore. It turns on, but nothing happens, not even POST. I dunno what could be the problem. There's no obvious sign of damage to either the motherboard or the CPU. On the motherboard, there is a small two-digit display that's supposed to display a code in hex that usually pertains to the problem. When nothing is wrong, it's supposed to display FF, but not it shows only 2B.

According to this this means: "21-2F  Initialize and enable EISA slots 1-15."
I have no idea what this means or what to do about it. Granted, that seems to be an addon that goes in the PCI slot, but my motherboard seems to have it built-in.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:08 pm »

My computer isn't starting anymore. It turns on, but nothing happens, not even POST.
If you feel technologically magic, check connections from the Motherboard to see if anything's loose.  Start ruling stuff out like PSU, GPU, RAM.  You can also tell what the problem is by the number of *beeps* the computer emits when you hit the 'ON' button, but if it isn't even reaching that stage it sounds like a BIOS problem... 

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:19 pm »

My computer doesn't beep when it turns on ever. Once in a blue moon it might, but that's not a normal(or problematic) occurance.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »

My computer doesn't beep when it turns on ever. Once in a blue moon it might, but that's not a normal(or problematic) occurance.
Is it a custom-built model?  I know some manufactures don't bother with the mini-speaker things, but normally there's a single or double beep to tell you everything okay.  Have you check the connections by the way? 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »

Ok so once you conclude all of the connections are right time to do some hardware test.
first pull out all pci/pcie cards from the motherboard, unplug everything that isn't a video cable or the keyboard. power cycle to check if works, if not continue on.
Then take out all but one of the ram chips, test each slot to make sure. if none of those work either the psu or the motherboard crapped.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:49 pm »

:-\
I should be able to replace the PSU, but the motherboard will likely pose a problem, financial and/or technical.

Hopefully it won't come to that, though.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2013, 09:33:53 pm »

I know this is a really silly and simple question, but it's the kind that irritates me badly and I cannot for the life for me find any related pages on Google: Does anyone know how to disable the drop shadow/image border that Windows 7's Photo Viewer/Photo Gallery gives images when viewing them? It's very irritating when I try to look at any of my pixel art at their actual resolution...

Nevermind, figured it out. Apparently instead of Photo Viewer windows was using "Windows Live Photo Gallery". Photo Viewer doesn't have the retarded shadow.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:45:31 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:57 am »

I should be able to replace the PSU, but the motherboard will likely pose a problem, financial and/or technical.

Akura searching up that error code i pulled this up from the EVGA forums http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1458214&mpage=1
check the video card, if you can't pull video from another video card or monitor then its definitely the psu, if it was the mobo you would get a different error/ nothing at all.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:45:49 am by Tellemurius »

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »

Akura searching up that error code i pulled this up from the EVGA forums
I had a similar problem to the one described in that forum post - I'd over-heated one of my HDDs whilst playing Empire:Total War and the computer shut itself down, stupidly I switched the PSU off to stop it damaging anything and it blew itself (don't wanna go through THAT again :D) but I don't know whether Akura had a shutdown...?  And the beeps that guy mentions sound familiar.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:30 am »

So, need some help here. My Windows 7 computer has been warning me for a week that my hard drive is about to die. Ive made a backup onto my external HDD but i'm looking for a way to stop the poor thing from dying. the diagnostic tools that come with windows arent telling me anything. it would be much appreciated if someone could lend a hand.

if you guys need more info please ask. HDD is called ST310005 28AS
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 24, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »

Have you tried chkdsk, or one of these?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »

Have you tried chkdsk, or one of these?
thanks for the link.

After running the seatools it found a few errors, where it told me to run a Seatools for DOS, although i haven't any idea how to go around that. :l

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 24, 2013, 12:44:22 pm »

Have you done everything fun, exciting and quick like formatting or de-fragging?  The diagnostic tools are well known for not being able to diagnose their own names, so you may as well blind-fold yourself and pick an HDD corruption out of a hat.   

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 24, 2013, 12:53:03 pm »

HAvent defragged yet. i'll do that now. if that fails i suppose i'll figure out how to use the Seatools DOS

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 24, 2013, 03:13:57 pm »

defrag doesn't help much if the computer is reporting a imminent hard drive failure :I

Those errors only popped up if a SMART scan came back with a negative.
run this http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html
and send me back all the Attribute Names that have been flagged and their corresponding color.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 350