Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552551 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1665 on: April 23, 2015, 08:30:27 am »

Close it?

More seriously, I don't know, but you have some information you can google search with now.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: April 23, 2015, 09:59:58 am »

"Mofilla" or "Mozilla"? Mozilla is Firefox and Thunderbird, if you run either of those then that's your culprit.

It's Mozilla - sorry for the typo.

And how can I reduce the amount of data written to the disk by Firefox?
Remove unnecessary drivers and devices. Delete unused programs. Disable start-up programs that you don't use all the time. Close programs when not in use. Also, run CCleaner.exe regularly to clear out junk files / browser cache. If you delete your browser history and browser cache frequently, that's less stuff that FireFox is constantly checking. The more active software and stuff your PC is looking through, the more RAM used and the more hard-disk usage.

For the browser, don't have multiple tabs opened at once, and close other programs completely before using the browser. And/or, add more RAM to your laptop. I'm guessing the problem is actually that your software load is exceeding RAM capacity, causing the computer to offload data to the drive, which also slows things down.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:02:31 am by Reelya »

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:34 am »

Use Firefox Portable version , AFAIK it removes (or significantly reduces) use of cache.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: April 23, 2015, 11:16:35 am »

Failing that, one can always use something like imdisk to create a small ramdisk onto which you have firefox directed to create and use its cache folders.

One could also set the windows TEMP and TMP environment variables to point there (since the drives can be created at boot time) and further reduce wear on an SSD.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=356046

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: April 23, 2015, 11:41:30 am »

Though you should check whether RAM is being maxxed out in the task manager. If there is little RAM left and a lot of virtual (paging) memory used, then the ram drive idea is not the optimal one, since that will just make memory paging worse, since you will need to make the ramdrive bigger than what is actually needed (since it will need to be sized to the maximum possible usage), then there will end up being unused space in the RAM drive, and even more stuff off-loaded to virtual memory on the physical drive.

So it's critical to determine whether it's a memory paging issue or a browser cache issue. The ramdrive idea is only good if you have a lot of memory that never gets used, i.e. you have at least 8GB. if you have less than 4 GB of RAM i think excessive paging would be the more likely culprit.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:45:09 am by Reelya »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: April 23, 2015, 11:44:18 am »

Its sounding like you guys are suggesting more RAM.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: April 23, 2015, 11:50:46 am »

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elitebook-6930p-14-1-core-2-duo-p8700-windows-7-pro-xp-pro-downgrade-2-gb-ram-250-gb-hdd-series/specs/

Well the thing only has 2GB of RAM according to these specs I looked up. These days, 2GB is really pushing things. That laptop can support up to 8GB RAM by upgrading. But that would have to be weighed against just getting a new laptop, which are pretty cheap these days. On ebay, the cheapest 8GB for DDR2 / laptop are about $160. So not really much less than buying a whole new entry-level laptop. Hence, it's not economically viable to upgrade the RAM in an old laptop like that, so software-level tweaking will be better.

It's probably the paging memory problem. Too much software loaded and/or too many tabs at once. Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and task manager to view which processes use the most memory, then try and close a few. You can also use CCleaner.exe to disable optional things from loading at boot time. This can declutter things. It's also possible to remove FireFox add-ons and see if any of those take up a lot of memory.

Another option in the long run is to try running Lubuntu or another minimal Linux install on old laptops. That can extend their useful life since custom Linux builds can be much more efficient than Windows. But it will have more of a learning curve as you get used to how linux does stuff with the file system.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:03:45 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: April 23, 2015, 12:29:23 pm »

Maybe-- But linux opens many doors on this front.

Out of the box, you get tmpfs support, (INSTANT ramdisk baby-- ONLY the size you need too! Grows and shrinks automagically! Can be configured in /etc/fstab!) You get zram support if you feel the need to enable it, you get real symbolic links and other fun with mount points that you can exploit (see the tmpfs statement with fstab, but you can do SOOO MUCH with this, including having your SSD be on /, and your /home directory be on some other medium that is more write tolerant, /var on tmpfs,  etc) More control over how swap is used, etc.

On windows, allocating a teeny tiny ramdrive (200ish mb) and turning on NTFS compression on it before setting firefox and whatever other temp files the system wants loose on it, is about all you can do to keep windows from attacking your ssd relentlessly.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: April 25, 2015, 05:34:47 am »

"Mofilla" or "Mozilla"? Mozilla is Firefox and Thunderbird, if you run either of those then that's your culprit.

It's Mozilla - sorry for the typo.

And how can I reduce the amount of data written to the disk by Firefox?
Remove unnecessary drivers and devices. Delete unused programs. Disable start-up programs that you don't use all the time. Close programs when not in use. Also, run CCleaner.exe regularly to clear out junk files / browser cache. If you delete your browser history and browser cache frequently, that's less stuff that FireFox is constantly checking. The more active software and stuff your PC is looking through, the more RAM used and the more hard-disk usage.

For the browser, don't have multiple tabs opened at once, and close other programs completely before using the browser. And/or, add more RAM to your laptop. I'm guessing the problem is actually that your software load is exceeding RAM capacity, causing the computer to offload data to the drive, which also slows things down.

The amount of used RAM during a normal session don't go above 1,5 Go and is more around 1 Go.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: April 25, 2015, 06:08:03 pm »

Hey guys!! I was wondering about Hard-drive partitions and how to move available open space between the two. It's a 2 tb drive that I had installed when my last one was about to crap out and the business had installed it with the computer thinking it is two seperate storage areas. I dont know why that was the case but I am running out room on one side of the partition and need to either move items to the bigger drive ( I really rather not) or try to "move" the partition to allow the first to have more storage. I am running a Win 7 professional.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: April 25, 2015, 11:10:38 pm »

Right click on my computer and click manage. Then find disk management.

That should give you a list of all partitions in your computer, and let you resize  them.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: April 26, 2015, 02:03:59 am »

Disk management doesn't allow you to resize a partition so the free space is before it (needed if you want to make the first partition bigger), and it doesn't allow you to move them around either. You need a 3rd-party partition management tool...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: April 26, 2015, 12:15:12 pm »

Disk management doesn't allow you to resize a partition so the free space is before it (needed if you want to make the first partition bigger), and it doesn't allow you to move them around either. You need a 3rd-party partition management tool...

First off, is it legal. Second, why the ...? Is it because there's no 3rd-party tool you could reconmend?
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: April 26, 2015, 12:17:14 pm »

Why would it not be legal? its not exactly doing anything that would be, its just adjusting partitions.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: April 27, 2015, 10:37:52 am »

Oldschool tools are often the best here.

There's a tool called partition magic. It is NOT free. It IS VERY OLD.  It works. It has a nice little GUI that lets you easily resize partitions.

The alternative, is to use the command line tool called diskpart, (It's a standard feature of windows) and tell it to shrink and grow partitions. This is a big PITA.

Only follow the section dealing with the resize command!! The first parts deal with formatting!!

Caveats:  Allocated space for a partition must be contiguous. Shrunk space comes off at the END of the partition. You need to shrink a partiation that is right next to the partition you want to grow for this to work. If you have more than 2 partitions, this can get tricky.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 350