Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552539 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1635 on: April 04, 2015, 01:46:50 am »

If you leave UAC enabled you don't need to create a dedicated admin account, as admins will run software as a limited user by default. It's as secure as actually running a limited user, but with less hassle.

That said, do create a limited user for anyone else using the PC who you can't trust not to run "tits.png.exe" as admin. And for gods sake change the options in explorer to not hide file extensions.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: April 04, 2015, 05:16:55 am »

Sadly, windows' options for file visibility is bullshit broken.

It needs an option for "Stop hiding system files in explorer, but dont show them on the desktop", because telling it to stop hiding system files makes every instance of "Thumbs.db" visible, EVERYWHERE. That includes the copies in the local user's desktop folder, and the one in the all users desktop folder.  Bullshit.

Leaving the "hide system files" option enabled makes it VERY hard to tell if you have all the MSVC libs installed, or other redistributable runtimes in there-- Or even hunt down all the parts of your typical network worm infector. But microsoft seems adamant that improving the user's education is less desirable than just putting big assed mittens on them instead, and tailors their OS accordingly.

Every version since windows 2000 has steadily removed features essential to proper home system administration, in the holy name of "User experience." 

All microsoft needs to do is re-release a more modern version of tweak-UI that enables "Real computer expert mode" that takes the damned mittens off, and doesn't break the shit out of everything in the process.

Forcing everyone to have to act like special needs children fresh off the short bus is demeaning to everyone. They should stop that shit.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: April 05, 2015, 08:11:37 pm »

So here's a question involving battery backup:

Which is better, the occasional unexpected shutdown from lack of power, or a battery backup that delivers power with an up to 45% harmonic distortion (but is standby)?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: April 06, 2015, 05:37:01 am »

How often do you get blackouts?

If they're a daily occurrence, then get plenty of backup.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: April 06, 2015, 09:39:01 am »

It's not quite that bad (and I already have the backup with the dirty power output), I'm just curious as to which would end up damaging my power supply (and potentially the rest of the computer) more.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: April 06, 2015, 11:54:36 pm »

I grew up in rural BFE with the unpleasant combination of "county is poor, and cant maintain proper infrastructure" + "high natural winds are common place" + "Seriously, you are an hour and a half drive from even the smallest of towns-- you really expect quality service?" when it came to both telephone and electrical power service.

I burned through I dont know how many ATX power supplies growing up before finally shelling out the dough for a UPS.

The UPS is expensive, but will help prevent power supply damage (and damage to your computer's electrolytic capacitors that control CPU and RAM voltages, as well as prevent brownouts to your HDD, causing data loss/corruption of data in the write buffer, and subsequent FS corruption), and will ultimately save you a great deal of headache and money in the long run.

A reserve capacity of 15 minutes would probably work just fine. That's enough time to safely down the computer in the event of an outage, and unless your power is absurdly unstable, should be enough buffer to let your computer work during brownouts/irregular power conditions.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1641 on: April 11, 2015, 06:00:34 pm »

Hopefully a quick question: while I'm in the US, I figured I'd order a Windows disk for my Dell laptop, since I'd really like to wipe it out and start fresh and they no longer ship with discs. Went to the backup disc request page and entered my code, but got the error message "Sorry we appear to have an issue with one of our services (ASQ) , please wait a few minutes and try again." I've been trying for a while now and I keep getting the same error - and it comes up instantly. It doesn't even seem to be trying to do anything before giving me the message.

So is their site just broken? Is there any chance it will change if I try again tomorrow, or should I just call and "politely" request a disc over the phone (I really don't trust myself not to scream at them given all the bullshit I've had with this piece of garbage computer)?

Fun fact: When you look in their support FAQ for info about recovery discs (specifically, "why didn't my computer come with an OS disc?"), their explanation is that they "know how complicated it can be keeping track of discs" so they've just decided not to ship them with new computers anymore. DEATH TO DELL

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 11, 2015, 06:09:28 pm »

HP has the same reason BUT, they at least give you a recovery partition.

Also if that page doesn't end up working out, theres a way to make one yourself, or a windows usb drive similar to a linux one.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:11:15 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1643 on: April 11, 2015, 06:12:54 pm »

I think Dell does that too, but they don't advertise it. I've had this computer for 2 years and never knew it was there until I was searching for a recovery disc and found their FAQ about how they don't give us those anymore. Bit late now. Anyway, I want to reinstall the OS from scratch, not restore to a backup (and definitely not to factory defaults)... Blarg.

Once I get back to Prague in a month, I'll have my new desktop, but I still use this computer for VJing and it would be really nice if I could have it clean and fresh instead of puttering along constantly threatening to die.

EDIT: By the way, this computer has Windows 7. Not sure if it's possible to make your own OS disc for this, but it'd be cool if it was. It'd have to be a DVD though - I don't have any spare USBs, and I'm not about to sink any more money into it. I know I can get one from Dell if I hassle them, just hate to have to go to all this effort for something they should have given me in the first place.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: April 11, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »

I was talking about windows 7, yep.

If you don't get one from dell, you want a DVD (and computer that can burn DVDs) or a usb drive, this tool, and the iso file you need is on this page. You also need a valid product key of course, theres probably one on the bottom if its a laptop. (MS also has an official page for ISO downloads now, but I looked through my bookmarks first)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1645 on: April 11, 2015, 06:43:48 pm »

I was talking about windows 7, yep.

If you don't get one from dell, you want a DVD (and computer that can burn DVDs) or a usb drive, this tool, and the iso file you need is on this page. You also need a valid product key of course, theres probably one on the bottom if its a laptop. (MS also has an official page for ISO downloads now, but I looked through my bookmarks first)

That is awesome to know. Thanks a lot. I'll see if I can get a disc from them first (would be less hassle), but I can burn a DVD instead if necessary.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: April 15, 2015, 07:12:11 pm »

R9 290x or the GTX 970? They have very comparable price points and performance, though the 970 has its famous 4GB-but-not-really of VRAM, while the 290x has AMD's patented power-hogging technology.
Honestly I'm not sure which I'd go for. Leaning towards the 970 just because of things I've heard about problems installing drivers on AMD cards, but all of those are from years ago so much not be relevant any more.

EDIT: Though actually I could wait for the Rx 300 series to launch and maybe pick up a second-hand 290x, where the price difference would way offset any performance issues. Maybe even a 295x2.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:30:51 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: April 17, 2015, 03:08:47 am »

Nvidia's drivers really still are better. The 970 gives you, IIRC, 3.5 gigs of RAM that's fast enough to actually use, which should be ample for 1080p gaming. I'd probably recommend it over the 290x.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: April 17, 2015, 05:01:08 am »

I'll reccommend AMD just because I use it and Nvidia suxx.  :P
On a more serious note, isn't an R9 kinda overkill? I use a 7850 and it's doing just fine. That, and it has the typical AMD bang-for-your-buck.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: April 17, 2015, 07:05:15 am »

The r9 is no more overkill than the 970 would be. Though what I'm mostly concerned about is the potential beginning of a trend with GTA V, for games with higher VRAM requirements than 3GB.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 350