Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552407 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1485 on: February 18, 2015, 03:34:39 pm »

If you're wary about rebooting you probably should get your important stuff backed up anyway.

I've a 9 Go library of books and Alpha Centauri whose CD I cannot find in the place where I put it with other CDs - the lase problem could resolve itself.

And could the harddisk be harmed by the numerous writings of the hibernation?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 18, 2015, 09:57:54 pm »

Quick question: Does anyone know of a program, preferably free or open source, that can "jail" an application when installed, to view what changes it makes when it does so? This is on Windows 7,

I ask because I want to play with a Verizon program, to see if it actually works as intended, but am a bit iffy when it comes to programs that claim to run diagnostics that I couldn't do myself with some sleuthing and command prompt usage.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:36 pm »

If you're wary about rebooting you probably should get your important stuff backed up anyway.

I've a 9 Go library of books and Alpha Centauri whose CD I cannot find in the place where I put it with other CDs - the lase problem could resolve itself.

Rebooting doesn't hibernate. they're different things.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 19, 2015, 03:24:36 pm »

Quick question: Does anyone know of a program, preferably free or open source, that can "jail" an application when installed, to view what changes it makes when it does so? This is on Windows 7,

I ask because I want to play with a Verizon program, to see if it actually works as intended, but am a bit iffy when it comes to programs that claim to run diagnostics that I couldn't do myself with some sleuthing and command prompt usage.
The word you are looking for is "sandbox". That said sandboxie might be what you are looking for. There's a paid version, but the free version is almost identical and if you are just doing it for personal use there's no need to get the paid license.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:03 am »

I'm on my shitty laptop. I had to leave my beautiful new desktop in Prague when I got deported. I probably won't see it again for another 2.5 months. I'm broke and homeless, living on a friend's sofa, so I'm really limited to the hardware I have. I guess there is no other way around this problem... : /

If I may, how did you get deported?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 20, 2015, 04:08:07 am »

Paperwork...I would presume...paperwork is a bitch

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1491 on: February 20, 2015, 05:00:38 am »

I'm on my shitty laptop. I had to leave my beautiful new desktop in Prague when I got deported. I probably won't see it again for another 2.5 months. I'm broke and homeless, living on a friend's sofa, so I'm really limited to the hardware I have. I guess there is no other way around this problem... : /

If I may, how did you get deported?

Bureaucracy. I wrote an 8-page explanation of the whole story which I will send to anyone who wants to read it, but essentially, the foreigner police gave me the wrong information *on multiple occasions*, leading to a mistake in my paperwork. Then they rejected my application and said it was my fault because I couldn't prove they had given me the wrong information. I appealed, and they simply ignored the appeal and let my exit order run out, and I had to leave. I have to hide out in Scotland now until May, when I can finally go home. I'll have to start over with a new visa application and lose the 3.5 years of progress towards the 5 year residence that would have allowed me to apply for permanent residence.

I am not happy. Also Scotland sucks.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 20, 2015, 01:49:11 pm »

Rebooting doesn't hibernate. they're different things.

I just wanted to know if using hibernation, i.e. writing the latest session on my hard disk, could make it used prematurely.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 20, 2015, 04:30:27 pm »

So I have two computers at the moment: A laptop with Windows 8, and a desktop with Windows 7 (because I actually had the choice with that one).

I'm in a spot for a while with WiFi, but no ethernet ports.

My desktop has no wireless card (I won't be here by the time anything ships and with all the crap winter storm Neptune dumped on us, going and getting a cheap USB wifi stick is not an option).

I want to connect to the WiFi with my laptop, then use an ethernet cable to pass the internet connection through to my desktop. Basically using it as a wireless card. This is theoretically possible using the built in Internet Sharing Connection.

I finally got the desktop to recognize the laptop as having a valid IP (this was a battle all in itself), but it still refuses to actually share the connection. (For that matter, the desktop considers my laptop a 'unidentified public network') The network diagnostics finds nothing at all wrong.

I have tried basically every solution Google has shown me, from the Windows help site to various forums. I've tried editing the ICS program to delayed startup (and turning it off and on again), which is the most often suggested fix.

I'm stuck - can anyone here help? And don't say that I should just use the internet on the latptop - browsing is basically all it's good for.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 20, 2015, 04:49:22 pm »

I don't have the instructions to hand, but perhaps try "bridging" the Ethernet and WiFi together on the laptop instead.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 20, 2015, 08:29:10 pm »

I don't have the instructions to hand, but perhaps try "bridging" the Ethernet and WiFi together on the laptop instead.

And it works first time.

Now I'm annoyed I spent all that time in frustration.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:01 pm »

i left my laptop in a car in the cold and now it wont charge. it acts like its not plugged in at all. yes i have tried all the obvious things.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: February 20, 2015, 10:40:08 pm »

How cold did it get?

Chances are that the cold caused moisture to condense and short the computer...that is just a guess though
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:27:15 pm by dennislp3 »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 21, 2015, 06:55:16 pm »

- a lot it was vary cold.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: February 22, 2015, 03:10:51 am »

Have you tried powering it from AC without the battery? That'll tell you whether it's a broken battery. Alternatively, if moisture got in it could be a fuse in either the laptop or the charger that blew when you tried to turn it on. The fuse may or may not be replaceable, you'd have to google that one.

Most electronics can survive very low temperatures.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 350