Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552352 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1455 on: February 13, 2015, 07:11:56 pm »

I will try to run a windows repair before reinstalling, because I want to keep my files and I have a application (Alpha Cenrauri) whose CD I cannot find in the place where I put it.

I have stuck with windows 7...and I likely will for a very long time...windows 8 is just...eww from all experiences I have had with it

Windows 7 remains a good basic Winsods OS - in fact, XP could be considerated as enough.

As for Edit 4... that's not a normal Windows 8 thing, that's a PC problem...

At least Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 8 users, so those that hate the start screen can have a traditional start menu again.

Don't you want to wait the big bugs are ironed before jumping?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: February 13, 2015, 07:52:13 pm »

Wel, the fre win10 suposedly is available for the whole first year, plenty of time to wait for the launch to be cleaned up if you realy want to get 10
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: February 14, 2015, 02:53:30 am »

I'm running the 10 preview on my laptop, and it's already awesome, although still in flux design-wise. I wouldn't recommend putting it on main PC just yet, but it'll probably be stable as anything on launch. There are most likely few changes under-the-hood, it's more likely almost entirely the UI that's changed. That's been mostly true for the past few Windows releases, the major version has been "6" since Vista (8.1 is actually 6.3).

Edit: Also, it's worth knowing that "mainstream" support for Windows 7 has ended already. It's only getting security updates from now on, and as such definitely won't be getting Direct X 12.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:58:47 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: February 14, 2015, 04:23:00 am »

I recommend ClassicShell for anybody running Win8. It's pretty great.
Doesn't get rid of the charms thingie, sadly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: February 14, 2015, 09:34:12 am »

Edit: Also, it's worth knowing that "mainstream" support for Windows 7 has ended already. It's only getting security updates from now on, and as such definitely won't be getting Direct X 12.
That is, to be honest, completely irrelevant to me until something interesting comes out that needs dx12. Most of the things I've played still have a dx9c mode, for pete's sake.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: February 14, 2015, 10:29:14 am »

I'm using the same stable boot since Thursday, with the help of the Hibernation feature; can it harm my laptop if I'm doing it for days?

Wel, the fre win10 suposedly is available for the whole first year, plenty of time to wait for the launch to be cleaned up if you realy want to get 10

Maybe running it in a virtual machine before deciding to sign up for the beta.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: February 15, 2015, 05:47:30 am »

AFAIK Windows mainly does updates during shutdown/startup, so it's a good idea to restart your computer every now and then. (I always fully shutdown my computer when I go to bed, and I've never had issues with Windows Update :P)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 15, 2015, 07:19:11 am »

I used to leave my laptop running non-stop for months on end, without shutdown, or sleep. Never had issues.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 15, 2015, 10:45:44 am »

So I have a weird issue. Basically GIFs don't work for me. At all. Videos work fine, but GIFs are just pictures to me. This has provided me ample defense against Lemonpies, but is still unappreciated.

This coincides with another issue (that would normally be considered unrelated, but showed up at EXACTLY the same time) where I can't get sound on Roosterteeth videos. Only videos on their site. Its weird and frustrating.

Do note that these started when I got a CPU cycle eating virus that I have been unable to remove, so I'll understand if this is just unfixable, but would like some suggestions nonetheless.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 16, 2015, 12:28:54 pm »

Asking for tech support while you have a virus on your computer is kind of silly...its rather obvious what the cause is but without details on the virus it's impossible to explain how to fix it...other than of course suggesting a wipe and reinstall

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 16, 2015, 12:51:23 pm »

Grumble grumble.  This windows really is frustrating these days.    >:(

So I'm an admin user.  I have a bunch of external usb harddrives.  For some bizarre reason they have all been mounted as read-only(why???).  You'd think being an administrator would let me write anyway but no.   >:(    So I finally figure out how to change ownership of one particular drive to "Everyone", and try to change permissions to give write access, and it starts okay but part way through it starts failing to assign write access. (Failed to enumerate objects in the container.  Access is denied asshat)  I friggen need access to my files, I've got work to do.

This OS really is a massive pile of garbage.  I never had these problems on XP.

Edit:  Finally got it working.  Now I just have to perform an elaborate voodoo dance for the next two drives.   :P  I apparently missed some checkbox the first time that would propagate the user ownership to all the individual files in the folder. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:02:34 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 16, 2015, 01:01:26 pm »

That sounds like the drive is failing to me, although it's also possible you've used an overly-restrictive filesystem on an external drive (permissions and a drive that's moved between pcs generally don't mix).

What filesystem is the drive formatted with?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 16, 2015, 02:20:48 pm »

I realize I'm just ranting at this point, and I apologize for that.  Seriously though why is everything such a pain in this OS?  I wanted to modify my PATH environment variable.  So I did what I normally would do on windows nt -> windows 7.  However, in windows 8 apparently it doesn't propagate until you reboot.  You seriously expect me to reboot every time I need to change an environment variable?

It boggles the mind.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:26:33 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 16, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »

You shouldn't need to reboot, but you may need to restart explorer and any running programs. The easiest way to do that is to log off/on.

Edit: if you only need PATH to propogate to one program (eg a cmd.exe window) you should just be able to restart that one program.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:45:04 pm by Thief^ »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 16, 2015, 03:44:50 pm »

I'm back again, as it turns out my previous problem is not fixed after all.

To reiterate it, the space on my hard drive seems to be magically disappearing; last night, I had 21 GB left, and this morning, I have 19.6. To clarify, I am not looking for suggestions on how to free up space; instead, I would appreciate advice about what could be using the space and how I would stop it from doing so.
Spoiler: More Information (click to show/hide)
Any and all advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:15:43 pm by ShadowHammer »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 350