Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552145 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1155 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:27 pm »

Hmm power switch is usually not on the same connector block as any kind of audio (except the "motherboard speaker" which should be labelled something like SPKR).

It should all have been diagrammed in the mobo manual, that thing is really worth a read...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 24, 2014, 09:51:57 pm »

Yeah it's how I pulled the name :P

The actual name of the pins now that I'm home is called the "front panel connector".

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:21 pm »

Page 1-25 of the manual, make sure you know where "pin 1" is (and/or make sure you orient it with the blank pin that's next to the power connector pins)

I assume it's an "ASUS H61M-E" not Acer?  If so there's a copy of the manual at http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/H61M-E/E9094_H61M-E.pdf

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 24, 2014, 10:04:55 pm »

Whoops. Yeah that's the one. Okay so I -did- have it plugged into the right slow. Must not have gotten it set proper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 26, 2014, 05:13:07 pm »

Well, guys, I'm back on the headset train. Still having issues. Traded my Xbox One Stereo Headset for a set of Turtle Beach XL1s (hey, you can't knock free, on either account,) and I'm still having trouble getting them to work with my PC. Yeah, I know they're both xbox headsets (and I know that I downgraded, but my boss had supposedly gotten these to work with his pc,) but I'm determined to make them work. I have all of the adapters necessary to make this work, but I'm still facing issues.

Problem: When I plug in the headphone and USB, they work fine as headphones. When I plug in the microphone cable, all hell breaks loose. Echoing and static are loud and dominant, no matter which mic jack I use. Wat do? I just want to yell at pubscrubs on TF2 and do silly things with vocaroo. Halp, internets!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 27, 2014, 09:41:11 pm »

I play table top every week on Friday online, we use teamspeak for chat and Roll20 for maps and IC conversations and what have you. We've been doing this for a month or two now.

Unfortunately, I've moved into Uni halls of residence and, for some reason, they've decided to block all gaming-related websites for all students (this includes steam, which I'm not at all happy about since it means I can't play the games I payed for). They also blocked teamspeak, so I can't play with my friends. What I wanted to know was if anyone could recommend a proxy service or something that would let me get around the block.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 27, 2014, 09:42:01 pm »

oops
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:23:04 pm by Carnwennan »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 28, 2014, 01:14:44 pm »

Depends a lot on the exact form of blocking, and if you are using any type of "log in to access" internet (like most colleges use) then they will be able to tell that you are proxying around their block even if you do find something that will allow you to do so.

Which is the way a lot of things like proxies and for end up working as, they won't be able to totally stop you or see what you are doing, but they can certainly tell that you are doing something that they would probably disapprove of (and which may lead to punishments on its own).

My best advice would be to look around and see if you can find a restaurant with free wifi to eat at on Friday nights, or possibly look into setting up a gathering system with your phone (which may cost extra depending on your phone provider, model, etc.).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 28, 2014, 02:06:33 pm »

There's a fair few cellular pay-as-you-go wifi hotspots now, and they don't cost an arm and a leg if you're not streaming video or something super-heavy like that.  Especially if it's once a week, there are (or used to be "pay per day").  Or yea your smartphone might have a plan, or a tethering option...

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 28, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »

proxies are a no-go then, that sucks but thanks for the help, both of you! I'll look around town to see if I can't find a place I can hole up at and not disturb anyone with my games of pretend.

I don't have a smartphone but I've been thinking of upgrading anyway, so if I can't find anywhere I'll get a contract I think. I think I can set something up as to not eat too much bandwidth on the phone...

Again, thanks for the advice!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 28, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »

Just be careful spending a ton on a data plan with contract, you can find out it sucks and be locked in.  There are a few pay-as-you-go alternatives, and some like freedompop that apparently gives .5G/mo free if you buy a $50 hotspot, or Rovair $6-10 a day might have to buy a Verizon hotspot,  or t-mobile apparently has a $30/mo prepaid plan with "unlimited" data (I hear you get throttled after 5G, which is still quite a lot of data as long as you're not watching videos).

Lots of alternatives in here: http://lifehacker.com/5974761/how-to-choose-the-fastest-cheapest-and-most-reliable-mobile-hotspot-to-stay-connected-everywhere-you-go/all  although it's a few months old...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 28, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »

Hell i was going to recommend a VPN to another network, they can't track whats in it and they sure as hell should not block that. If they argue you can tell them its a direct connection to home or work. My school stripped down most of the port blocking here and stuck with web filter as the system is already designed to throttle those that are eating bandwidth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 28, 2014, 04:51:24 pm »

A VPN might work, I haven't tried messing around with one on my university network yet enough to know how it would work out with their system.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 28, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »

I have to go through my Uni's VPN to access the internet, wouldn't that interfere with trying to get another?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 28, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »

Why does your uni route everything through a vpn in the first place? That sounds odd to me, though I'm probably looking at the wrong thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 350