Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552161 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1125 on: September 09, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »

It might not be a problem with the ISP. One of my neighbour's similar internet problems turned out to be a line issue. They had to send someone out to check between his place and the cabinet full of wires at the end of the street.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1126 on: September 09, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »

Well, I finally just went out and bought a new modem. If I start having problems again, I'm going to make them send someone to check on it. They are never willing to do that unless you really demand it, and then they'll never come except when you're at work. Worst customer service I've ever encountered, and I grew up with AOL. If you're ever in the Czech Republic, don't sign a contract with O2!!!

Wish me luck, friends.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1127 on: September 10, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »

Monitoring the router traffic unsurprisingly requires the router to provide that ability. If you have a normal home router, you quite simply can't.

Have you tried rebooting the router when it happens? Simple home routers can be overloaded by the number of connections involved in bittorrent (or if they're terrible, normal use) and they won't recover until the connections expire, potentially hours later (even if the connections are closed).
I used to have a belkin router that had to be rebooted every 12 hours to function normally...

So I'm here again with the same problem, that is, our router traffic getting absolutely blocked.

The problem seemed to go away for some time but it's back again. The problem is it's present at very irregular intervals. What I did figure out or at least I have a strong suspicion is the problem appears to be one of the computers connected to router. I did some research and it seems quite possible that computer has some sort of trojan/virus that is raping our net. I personally do not have access to that computer so I can't check it myself, though Malwarebytes and some other program I can't remember right now scans were performed, to no obvious positive resaults. Here's my two questions then:

1) So is there any way I can check if my assumptions are right with some sort of software? I've just discovered Snort, what's up with that?

2) What about changing router? Is there some commercial router that can monitor web traffic in real-time and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Can't find anything at the moment. I don't need something complicated, no long-term data storage, just something that tells me how much any and all users contribute to traffic. Something that would also show what programs exactly are connected to net would be even better, but that's probably in the domain of ISP companies/NSA and the likes.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:34 pm »

You can always use Wireshark.  It's a sniffer that allows you to see what kind of traffic is floating around your network.  If you find that there's about thirty thousand more requests than there should be coming from one computer on your network, it'd probably be a good idea to isolate that computer and see what you can do.

As to capturing packets and identifying specific programs?  Not really.  You can see what kind of traffic is floating around and make educated guesses that way though.  Just be careful when using Wireshark, catching public packets outside of your network, which it can do, is prosecutable in a court of law.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 11, 2014, 03:54:15 am »

If you want a rough guess, look at the flashy lights on the router's network sockets :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1130 on: September 11, 2014, 04:46:47 am »

Thief^: yeah, this is actually how I came to my current conclusion. Our set-up is like this - 4 computers in household (1 of them connected via wi-fi) and occasionally one of the lights (the socket where suspected computer is connected) goes absolutely ballistic, blinking many times per minute and constantly. For sake of science I once connected that computer to a different socket but all the same. Most convincing was however when I unplugged that computer during one of those spells and my connection speed went from a crawl to perfect. Also interesting to note is when I unplugged that computer and started to, just for science again, downloading some Steam games on my computer without any download limit, my browsing speed was relatively unhindered despite Steam going full force.

That's why I'm suspecting something nasty, something that somehow overrules all other connections, is on that computer.
That or the owner is lying to me but I'd like to believe this is not the case. So that's why I'm asking if there's some sort of software to make me 100% certain about this.  :-\

Karkov: tried using Wireshark in the past, but found it too confusing. I might wanna try it again though. Thanks for suggestions.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:00 am »

If I was you I'd just continue unplugging it whenever it goes ballistic and makes your connection slow and wait until they complain, then you'll find out what they're doing at the time.

I still bet some kind of bittorrent client.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 11, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »

So, got my gpu in. Had some problems before realizing my power source wasn't strong enough to power it. Now it's getting power but I'm still not getting any connection to my monitor from it. I have it currently plugged in and unpowered, so I can talk to you guys. I have an igpu on my intel card which I can't disable through BIOS that I'm aware of; I can't find an option without my gpu plugged in and I don't get a screen when it is. I'm going to be taking this box to my local radioshack where a guy said he'd take a look at it for free and install it right for me if it isn't busted but I kind of want to be able to get this thing working.

Is there something I've done wrong? I've uninstalled the intel HD graphics driver on two separate occasions, but even after ensuring after reset that it's off, when I power up my new GPU, neither the on-board VGA socket nor the DVI sockets on my new card work.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 11, 2014, 07:06:29 pm »

Just as a sort of first step with all GPU related problems, I have to ask:  Did you already install drivers for it?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 11, 2014, 07:14:20 pm »

The disc that came to install the drivers has to detect the card first, and as I said, my on-board VGA port won't work with the GPU in place and powered. It's ridiculous.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:43 pm »

Odd.  Actually now that I think about it it should still have been displaying something.  Just a scrunched up screen until you could've gotten drivers for it.  If it's not showing anything while you turn it on, then it'd be difficult to get to safe mode (which turns off drivers and gives the same output as when you first install a card, everything's just bare minimum).

If it's absolutely not displaying anything at anytime, then I really want to say it's a defect with the card or the port on the card that you're trying to plug the cables into.  It might also be the fault of the slot that the card is plugged into (although I doubt that since the card switches off the integrated GPU, meaning that something is at least getting transferred).  Kinda hard to be able to test stuff without physically being able to manipulate it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 11, 2014, 07:31:52 pm »

Yeah, which is why I'm taking it into somewhere where people know what's going on haha. If they confirm it's the card, no biggie, I just ship it back to NewEgg and get another one. If I'm a tool and missed a step somehow they'll be able to handle it for me.

I mean, the fans on the GPU spin up on power up so it's getting power and -is- getting read by the machine which shuts down the iGPU. It's just... Not giving anything out through either DVI slot.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1137 on: September 21, 2014, 03:28:43 pm »

Gah... Video driver woes.

I updated my NVIDIA Geforce drivers to the latest version, trying to fix some of the glitchiness in my computer. It did actually fix some things: the desktop gadgets and other Windows programs started working again. However, other things broke. Adobe Premiere started having big problems, and RaidCall crashed on launch. So I rolled back to a slightly earlier version of the drivers. RaidCall works now, along with Minecraft, everything quite smooth -- but OBS no longer works. When I try to run it, I get the error "could not get DXGI adapter." A quick look at the Googles tells me this has something to do with DirectX, and also that at least one other person encountered the same error by updating NVIDIA Geforce drivers (but the issue was not solved).

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this video card. I know it's not exactly high-end, but how is it that new drivers keep breaking things? Anyone have a recommendation on how to fix this? I really need OBS to work. My main activity when playing Minecraft is making videos, so that has to work. It worked fine before, but now I don't know what set of drivers I was using (I think they were quite old). Do I just have to install one set after another until I find one that works? (FYI I did a clean install of the drivers, removing the previous version first.)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 21, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »

Do you have DirectX updated? (just checking)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1139 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:49 pm »

Aha, I just restarted my computer and that fixed it. I thought I had restarted already, but apparently I forgot to do that. So now everything seems to be working okay... We'll see if it stays that way. Fingers crossed!
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 350