Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552206 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1065 on: August 29, 2014, 10:08:35 am »

I think I could probably manage installing a video card. Doesn't it just come down to "take out old card, put new one in slot"? If not, then yeah, I'd have someone do it for me. : ) But anyway, that's a long ways down the road. I'll be happy if I can play Minecraft with the distance settings up to "far" and all the smooth lighting effects.

EDIT: Building an *entire* computer is different than upgrading a video card, though. I tried it once, bent a pin, and when I powered it on, everything fried instantly. Not ever doing that again! So much money down the drain...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:10:17 am by Sappho »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 29, 2014, 10:23:29 am »

I think this could qualify for this. But I'm looking for a good/relatively easy to use and free blogsite. I have little to no expirience with website creation (outside of some little HTML we did in highschool, but that was like, geocities era stuff at best, way outdated) so anything with a good user friendly interface should do.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1067 on: August 29, 2014, 10:26:43 am »

Blogger? That one is very easy to use, and free, though it is controlled by Google, so beware!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 29, 2014, 10:26:52 am »

I think I could probably manage installing a video card. Doesn't it just come down to "take out old card, put new one in slot"? If not, then yeah, I'd have someone do it for me. : ) But anyway, that's a long ways down the road. I'll be happy if I can play Minecraft with the distance settings up to "far" and all the smooth lighting effects.

EDIT: Building an *entire* computer is different than upgrading a video card, though. I tried it once, bent a pin, and when I powered it on, everything fried instantly. Not ever doing that again! So much money down the drain...
Turn computer off, unplug computer from power, ground yourself on something metal (get rid of static electricity,) open the case, unplug card, pull card out, put new card in, make sure it fits right, plug in new card, close case, plug computer back in, turn computer on, play.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:53 am »

Turn computer off, unplug computer from power, ground yourself on something metal (get rid of static electricity,) open the case, unplug card, pull card out, put new card in, make sure it fits right, plug in new card, close case, plug computer back in, turn computer on, play.
wonder why there's no video, lookup the motherboard's beep codes, re-insert the videocard, re-insert all the ram, rage, despair.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:36:52 am by Japa »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 29, 2014, 10:51:18 am »

Blogger? That one is very easy to use, and free, though it is controlled by Google, so beware!

Eh, they have most of my stuff and so far have done nothing with it, I'll give it a shot, thanks :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:46 pm »

Anyone know when DDR4 ram-using motherboards will appear?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 29, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

Anywhere between 2-10 years.  Depends on when we get a 128-bit OS and everything starts upgrading to match it.  So far there haven't been many pieces of software that even need that level of technology.*  I think Clockwork Empires is the first thing to actually begin using more than one core on your CPU at once (though don't quote me on that.  I could just be thinking gaming technology), and I still haven't heard of anything other than a Minecraft server using over 4 GBs of RAM.

Also, from what I've seen, they're still coming out with faster versions of DDR3, so that'll probably delay the process as well.

*Technology meaning the 128-bit OS at this point.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:21:02 pm by Karkov »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 29, 2014, 01:28:05 pm »

I think Clockwork Empires is the first thing to actually begin using more than one core on your CPU at once
Dude, multithreading was implemented and used decades before multicore CPUs even existed.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 29, 2014, 01:38:36 pm »

(though don't quote me on that.  I could just be thinking gaming technology)
>_> I don't even know, man.  All that I know is most games (maybe not all programs per se) don't use multi-threading to the best of their abilities.  I've seen a ton of them just snag one core and sit there and chew on it all day, instead of the sane way of divvying itself out over multiple.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 29, 2014, 01:43:11 pm »

It may be sane in terms of processing, but it's insane to code. Like literally, eldritch beings look at multi-core coders and go "Dude. Chill."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 29, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »

It may be sane in terms of processing, but it's insane to code. Like literally, eldritch beings look at multi-core coders and go "Dude. Chill."
Adding a worker thread or five to speed up strongly separated tasks is easy to code, and a hierarchical setup of threads is okay too, but never shall you ever make two threads that both need to know about each other and try to make them do any task faster than a single thread would.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 31, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »

I've yet another computer problem.

On the computer I'm using because the WLan Device was shutting down because of overheating on my main computer, the battery refuses, since yesterday, to charge, even if the operating system read a value lesser than 100% to the battery's charge.

Data:
  • Operating system: Windows 7
  • Computer: HP EliteBook 6930p
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1078 on: August 31, 2014, 05:02:12 pm »

How old is the computer, and how old is the battery? My old laptop (6 years old) doesn't really charge anymore. Batteries have a finite lifespan. I just have to leave it plugged in all the time to use it.

If it's not old and the battery isn't damaged or worn out, then I'm afraid I don't know.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 31, 2014, 06:24:38 pm »

How old is the computer, and how old is the battery? My old laptop (6 years old) doesn't really charge anymore. Batteries have a finite lifespan. I just have to leave it plugged in all the time to use it.

If it's not old and the battery isn't damaged or worn out, then I'm afraid I don't know.

This computer was handed to me, brand new, in 2009.

(Aside note, my main laptop, which has no WiFi access without a WLen device, came to my house in 2009 as second hand - its BIOS is from 2005 and its battery was already worn out.)

EDIT: The battery lost 5% of power during Saturday and Sunday, which will give to the battery 40 days before being down.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:16:35 am by Azerty »
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 350