Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552219 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1005 on: August 09, 2014, 05:46:58 am »

Definitely agree with you, there. Unless you're doing something like cryptography, you don't need a $400 video card.
Or cryptocurrency mining, if you're into useless money :V

My Acer worked quite nicely for several years, but it may have been the exception. It turned into a radiator at the end of it's life, though (damaging the video card in the process, I'm afraid. Not that it really matters anymore)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Daonitre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 10, 2014, 08:17:32 am »

Definitely agree with you, there. Unless you're doing something like cryptography, you don't need a $400 video card.

We play Dwarf Fort -might as well be cryptography in some cases (I like having 500+ chicks, 200+ dogs, and lots of water generators/turning cranks as often as possible)

As for BitCoin (which I'm sure you're talking about) both of the major cities near me (Central Texas) accept it as currency at the day's current rate and give a discount for using it over Dollars... hardly useless (though these days just farming it will take too long to make it worthwhile). Oh, and you now have to report it on your taxes ;D Cause you know, currency intended to be anonymous should be reported. /cough

As for the person posting the picture of the PCI-e, please check the motherboard manual... it'll have a full layout and avoid any chance of ill advice that might slip through here. For all I know you were trying to point out the internal Aux In port on the sound card. Not likely, but possible.

...what am I doing here... back to the Fort side for me :)
Me:"Say, you don't know where the Titan is, do?"
"In the early spring of 125, he died after colliding with an obstacle."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 10, 2014, 08:52:01 am »

We play Dwarf Fort -might as well be cryptography in some cases (I like having 500+ chicks, 200+ dogs, and lots of water generators/turning cranks as often as possible)

As for BitCoin (which I'm sure you're talking about) both of the major cities near me (Central Texas) accept it as currency at the day's current rate and give a discount for using it over Dollars... hardly useless (though these days just farming it will take too long to make it worthwhile). Oh, and you now have to report it on your taxes ;D Cause you know, currency intended to be anonymous should be reported. /cough

As for the person posting the picture of the PCI-e, please check the motherboard manual... it'll have a full layout and avoid any chance of ill advice that might slip through here. For all I know you were trying to point out the internal Aux In port on the sound card. Not likely, but possible.

...what am I doing here... back to the Fort side for me :)
You can't use your GPU for DF as far as I know, so not really :V

And Bitcoin is prone to suddenly crashing and such and you're usually not getting much out of it without hardware built for it, so I ment something more along the lines of mining other coins (litecoin, doge, etc) and then converting those to BTC.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Daonitre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 10, 2014, 09:37:29 am »

You can't use your GPU for DF as far as I know, so not really :V

And Bitcoin is prone to suddenly crashing and such and you're usually not getting much out of it without hardware built for it, so I ment something more along the lines of mining other coins (litecoin, doge, etc) and then converting those to BTC.

Good points. I swear there was a thread a few years ago about transferring some CPU processes to the GPU though, probably used an additional program to redirect. This computer still feels so beast I don't notice the difference anyway, built it myself Dec 2012 for 1700 after everything. :D

Technical Tricks
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NO! Why am I back here again... ducks back to fort
Me:"Say, you don't know where the Titan is, do?"
"In the early spring of 125, he died after colliding with an obstacle."

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 10, 2014, 12:13:45 pm »

my hard drive is failing and i am wondering where the cheapest place to by a replacement is.

model
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for an HP laptop

im also wondering how i could find out if there is a better one that it can be replaced with.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 10, 2014, 05:14:01 pm »

Laptop drives are mostly the same unless you grab the hybrid drives or SSDs

So say lets go for OEM replacement
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W014M8024 WD black, same specs for 60 bucks

Hybrid drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178339 Seagate Hybrid Drive, basically has a huge buffer which can help alot times alot without the SSD price. 75 bucks

SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-820 Extreme loading speeds but pricey for the storage size. 112 bucks

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 11, 2014, 09:53:10 pm »

So I basically need a new computer. :P

Well, Laptop. I'm commuting to university so I'll need something to travel. Touch-screen/pen-screen would be stellar so I can take quick notes, like a foldable/detachable one? Doesn't need to be *extremely* powerful but it is an engineering program so there are probably some programs it'll need to run.

And on a budget. :v

I was thinking an Asus, I've seen some semi-comparable (2.20 ghz duo core VS 1.8 quad-core for example, same hard-drive size and such, for anywhere from 350 to 550 bucks. I would *prefer* something in that range, but it might be stretchable up to 700 or 800.

ANY HELP IS APPRECAMATED
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 11, 2014, 10:05:44 pm »

Well, any CAD should be done in a lab setting on the school computers, so unless you plan on buying and installing AutoCAD or something you should be okay with just a decent machine.

Also, I thought you wanted to do brain doctoring?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 11, 2014, 10:38:01 pm »

Biomedical engineering program.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:04 pm »

If you can get a software list from the college/university, we'd definitely be able to pin the tail on the donkey. That said, I have no idea what your hardware requirements are.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 11, 2014, 11:19:40 pm »

Personally, I'd recommend doing your engineering work on uni computers. Yes, I know it can be a hassle to grab a free computer before everyone else rushes to finish their work, but having wrestled with trying to get a chemical engineering simulation program to work properly with university licenses on my laptop... I'd rather just use the uni computers, much faster.

At least that should help narrowing down your specs a little.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 13, 2014, 11:38:00 pm »

What are people using to mount ISO files these days? I'm mainly looking to reinstall Warcraft 3 and the expansion using my (legitimate) ISO files and CD keys that I have had for years, mainly for the feeling of nostalgia and trying to recall details of things from old maps for use in the new Source 2 engine via DotA 2.

I previously used Daemon Tools Lite, but from what I hear they are plagued with malware, adware and spyware on install, so I'm loathe to install it on my month fresh computer after a reformat.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 13, 2014, 11:43:25 pm »

I use SlySoft's Virtual Clone Drive. It's free, and painless to use.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 14, 2014, 12:09:23 am »

I use Daemon tools because it was the first x64 one out there, and I stuck with it.

You do have to deselect a bunch of adware in the install, though.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1019 on: August 14, 2014, 03:02:00 am »

I use Virtual Clone Drive too. It has served me well.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 350