Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reflective Elephants and Mandrills  (Read 1462 times)

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reflective Elephants and Mandrills
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:29:00 am »

My crazy trap chamber:

Capturing and taming elephants and mandrills (what I've managed to capture so far) works fine, except upon the release of the animal it rushes to its point of capture and lingers for awhile, as if reflecting upon its former life and where it went wrong stomping dwarves flat. Mandrills are so eager to do this that they teleport immediately upon release.
(Download movie file here.)

[ October 25, 2006: Message edited by: SquidDNA ]

Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Reflective Elephants and Mandrills
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:56:00 am »

This should be fixed in the new version...  hopefully the new crash bugs will be fixed too, and there won't be new crash bugs from the pile type stuff.  Hopefully it will come out at some point too...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SquidDNA:
<STRONG>Capturing and taming elephants and mandrills (what I've managed to capture so far) works fine, except upon the release of the animal it rushes to its point of capture</STRONG>

They don't set off the traps again after having been tamed, do they?

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:56:00 pm »

No they do not.

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »

In the same vein, when mandrill multiply, it gives the message: "Stray Mandrill (tame) has given birth to ." The new animals appear under the dwarf / creature list as "Stray mandrill child (tame)" which does not appear to age into a mature mandrill because I just got the message "Stray Mandrill child (tame) has given birth to ." (No, it's more stray mandrill children, not a stray mandrill child child as logic would reccomend.) Stray elephants give birth to elephant calves with a normal message, however I have not yet seen one grow up. Thanks for debugging taming, I've been longing to have some exotics in my fortress. I've found that having too many pets causes pathing issues for masons detailing floors (the can find the walls to a room just fine but will not be able to find the floors-- killing a bunch of horses solved the problem.)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 12:12:00 am »

Haha you had so many horses people couldn't even find the floors. I get this image of a huge stack of animals with the dwarves trying to climb around inside the pile, like a huge pillow fortress of dogs, cats, and horses. Yuck.

sbach2o

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 04:21:00 am »

It is probably more about the animals' droppings than them blocking access to the floors directly  :p

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »

The weird thing is it was the room NEXT TO the statue garden full of horses and elephants and mandrill children.

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 10:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SquidDNA:
<STRONG>In the same vein, when mandrill multiply, it gives the message: "Stray Mandrill (tame) has given birth to ." The new animals appear under the dwarf / creature list as "Stray mandrill child (tame)" which does not appear to age into a mature mandrill because I just got the message "Stray Mandrill child (tame) has given birth to ." (No, it's more stray mandrill children, not a stray mandrill child child as logic would reccomend.)</STRONG>

Maybe mandrills reach sexual maturity before they reach physical adulthood?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

Hrm, maybe there's a problem with the raw file.  I'll have to fix it up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!