Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Test on Bolts and Weight  (Read 11991 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Test on Bolts and Weight
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 06:52:58 pm »

And what was your setup? If the dwarves have a space to dodge to, they will and that could throw off the testing.

Additionally, screenshots of the results would be nice.

Survivors marked by color.  The one unconscious fellow is a blue and later recovered.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »

Yes it appears that bolts are deadly no matter which way you flip them. My tests show about 50/50 casualties. But I plan on nerfing bolts and seeing which material does more damage.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:04:31 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 07:08:11 pm »

Yes it appears that bolts are deadly no matter which way you flip them. My tests show about 50/50 casualties. But I plan on nerfing bolts and seeing which material does more damage.

Also try to see if you can get some slade bolts on some of the dwarves.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 07:12:12 pm »

I'd have to make a metal identical to slade's materials, seeing as they're already there I should have no problem testing it out.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 08:24:44 pm »

To get around (or at least reduce) the problem of encumberance, and to get better results than for iron vs adamantine, why not make a Light Iron with a SOLID_DENSITY of 1 (200 times lighter than adamantine).  Make the armor and crossbows out of Light Iron so they're carrying hardly any weight, then give one side Light Iron bolts and the other Normal Iron bolts; neither side should be encumbered.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:06 pm »

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
[NAME:crossbow:crossbows]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]  This is just to make sure a near-weightless object doesn't go faster than the string could possibly go.
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:1250]

The comment text in the raw file for crossbows suggests that the SHOOT_FORCE provides some "velocity" number to the combat calculations, based on the weight of the bolt, but no higher than SHOOT_MAXVEL. We don't know if the code actually works like that. I do know that if you increase both of those variables to large numbers, you can get knockback/send flying critters that get hit by a bolt. Perhaps the SHOOT_MAXVEL prevents adamantine bolts from demonstrating ludicrious results.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:15 pm »

[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]  This is just to make sure a near-weightless object doesn't go faster than the string could possibly go.

The comment text in the raw file for crossbows suggests that the SHOOT_FORCE provides some "velocity" number to the combat calculations, based on the weight of the bolt, but no higher than SHOOT_MAXVEL. We don't know if the code actually works like that. I do know that if you increase both of those variables to large numbers, you can get knockback/send flying critters that get hit by a bolt. Perhaps the SHOOT_MAXVEL prevents adamantine bolts from demonstrating ludicrious results.

Certainly a possibility.  You could duplicate the entry and double the maxvel for one of them, then with the Super Fast crossbows, add adamantine bolts and find out.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 03:05:09 am »

Can you repeat your first test, but put the heavy iron on the left side of the fortification, and the normal iron on the right side?
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 04:59:03 am »

Are you sure lighter ammo works better? I recall addy ballista bolts as being useless.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 10:21:50 am »

At any rate, this means that adamantine is still a terrible material for bolts. Just not in terms of effectiveness.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 10:27:29 am »

This seems extremely likely. I'll add this to the main post.

Can you repeat your first test, but put the heavy iron on the left side of the fortification, and the normal iron on the right side?

I did a quick 10v10, with about the same results 4 winning for heavy iron six winning for light iron.

Are you sure lighter ammo works better? I recall addy ballista bolts as being useless.

Ballista bolts function differently, according to the wiki.
Quote from: magmawiki
Although in previous versions of Dwarf Fortress, ballista bolts were second only to drawbridges in causing certain death for those on the business end of it, since the combat overhaul, bolts have become significantly weaker, dealing only blunt damage despite presumably being fired tip-first. The result is much bruising, occasional shattered bones, and only rarely a death from a shattered spine or crushed skull.
If this is right, adamantine would suck at ballista bolts. But that's not something I can easily test in the arena.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 12:08:15 pm »

Hmmm. Perhaps a heavy crossbow could be created then. One with double or more maxvel and slightly heavier and perhaps make them only craftable from metal as a tradeoff.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 12:11:09 pm »

Hmmm. Perhaps a heavy crossbow could be created then. One with double or more maxvel and slightly heavier and perhaps make them only craftable from metal as a tradeoff.

Its not like it needs to be a permanent item to test this stuff.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »

No but i mean if people sought to make marksdwarves more useful or at least equally as good as melee dwarves then perhaps this could be an option as well as not being too unbalanced
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 07:21:09 pm »

No but i mean if people sought to make marksdwarves more useful or at least equally as good as melee dwarves then perhaps this could be an option as well as not being too unbalanced

I think the question here is mechanics and not gameplay - Hence the section. Though I like the idea of having different bolts than what gobbos bring (as a modding perspective.)

Are you going to breakdown every tag and disect the bolt?
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4