Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dorflympics. Post your ideas.  (Read 4610 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Dorflympics. Post your ideas.
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:48:53 am »

Alright, this is my idea. You have 2 long corridors that lead to a safe zone (when the dorf hits the pressure plate, a drawbridge comes up and seals them in the saferoom for them to be dug out). When the dwarf steps into one of the corridors, you pull a lever and you destroy the cage a lion was in. The dorf then has to run from the lion to safety. What do you think of this dorflympics idea?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dorflympics. Post your ideas.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:26:18 am »

Not bad.

How about this: Two dwarven mechanics see how far their kitten-hurling devices can hurl, well, a kitten. Bonus points are given if it can kill a goblin. More are given if it kills a noble in testing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:48:24 am »

I think GCS wrangling would be a start.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:06:06 am »

Minotaur sock stealing. Theres a minotaur at the end of a very large maze. And who ever can steal his socks and report back is the winner.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:28:58 am »

Dwarven golf. Using goblins. You'd have to do it in 40d, to get the epic "knock it halfway across the map into a wall, where it detonates" feeling though.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:38:09 am »

Dwarven Golf is the thing. Your dorf needs to hit the goblin into a 1x1 hole, and he has different golf clubs, like a silver driver, the normal iron and a adamantine putter to his disposal.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:26:57 pm »

High jump fall. You see how high your best dwarves can fall from before they drop dead. The winners is the one who survives the longest.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 01:36:31 pm »

Distance diving. Dorf to the end of a long, roofed hallway.

Flood hallway. Whoever gets the furthest wins.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 01:43:33 pm »

My idea is a dwarven mining sprint. Two legendary miners are trapped in two seperate 100x100 rooms. Whoever mines out their respective room first wins. There is also a time limit that, if runs out, causes magma to fall from the ceiling and for bronze collosi cages to open into the room.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »

Archery: Having 5 dorfs at different times shoot at an archery target building 30 tiles away. Bonus points for using caged enemies. The most accurate dorf wins and gets leader position in a squad of crossbowmen.

Javelin hurling: Chucking a copper spear into a 3x3 pit 20 tiles away. Bonus if you use a caged enemy. The dorf that lands his spear (or javelin) in the centre first wins.

Pole-vaulting: Using a pike to hop over a 2-or-3-level-high wall. The dorf who lands unscathed wins.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 05:17:08 pm »

Two of those last ideas don't work.  Archery challenges work best if you fire wood/bone bolts and whoever kills their naked goblin first, wins.

My idea: The Season Sprint.  Equip a dwarf in something modest, bronze plate minus the mail, perhaps?  Then drop them into a large area like a cavern or a purpose-built arena.  One season later, you open the escape hatch.  Best performed with waterskins/backpacks, obviously.  Bonus points if the dwarf (listed as a civilian) manages to kill its pursuing creature(s).

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 05:25:01 pm »

The Obstacle Course:

A set of long, narrow corridors, walled off from each other using Fortifications.  Along the corridors are repeating spike traps, shallow channels with waist high water, narrow bridges over deep pitfalls (may be filled with deep water, magma, a long drop, or whatever else floats yer boat), and a series of ballista operators shooting through the fortifications at will with wooden ballisa bolts. 

First dwarf to the end, alive, wins!

Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 05:43:10 pm »

First dwarf to somehow make it to the end, dead, wins double.  I mean really, wouldn't that me more impressive?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »

You can have a swimming challenge. Make it more interesting by dumping them in a body of water that has flow.

You could also have hauling races - give them some lead bins full of lead bars, and tell them to bring them to a target.

Alternatively, if you have an abundance of gobbos, there are all sorts of things you could do.
-Drop them from your execution tower and see which one splatters the most
-Let your axedwarves at them and see which dorf can chop a gobbo into the most pieces
-Let them attack a couple of your dorfs, but restrain them after the dorfs are wounded and before they are killed. See how many injuries you can give a dorf over the course of his lifetime

Since ballistae affect friendly targets, place two ballistae facing each other a long distance apart (at least 100 tiles). Set them to fire at the same time, and see which dorf hits the other first. This can be done in teams.

Set up a firing range for your catapults. See which one can hit a target gobbo the fastest.

Give your marksdorfs a limited number of bolts, and see how few the need to kill a gobbo.

See which of your dorfs takes the longest to tantrum.

Dorf roulette. Here's what you do:
-build a X reservoirs. include Y pressure plates, evenly spaced, that each require 7/7 water to be activated
-Above each room, floor over the reservoir, except for an access spot which will be marked as a water source, and another which will be marked as a pond. Have doors seperating the different rooms. Above each room, build Y 1x1 cells with hatch covers for floors.
-Link up each hatch cover with a pressure plate. Also link up each pressure plate to the door to the next room.
-Flood the reservoid to 7/7
-Put a different hostile beastie in each cell. Try to have a range of difficulties.
The contestand dorf will enter the first room, and take a single unit of water from the reservoir. This will cause a single tile of 6/7 water to travel around the reservoir. It will travel over one of the pressure plates randomly, releasing the appropriate beastie and opening the door ahead. The dorf will have to quickly defeat the beastie, before another is released, and do the same in the next room. This continues until the dorf is dead or has won, when the cells are reset for the next contestant.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 08:27:42 pm »

Two of those last ideas don't work.  Archery challenges work best if you fire wood/bone bolts and whoever kills their naked goblin first, wins.

My idea: The Season Sprint.  Equip a dwarf in something modest, bronze plate minus the mail, perhaps?  Then drop them into a large area like a cavern or a purpose-built arena.  One season later, you open the escape hatch.  Best performed with waterskins/backpacks, obviously.  Bonus points if the dwarf (listed as a civilian) manages to kill its pursuing creature(s).

Inspired by this: The Urist Show. A dwarven gladiator lives his life entirely within an arena. He must plant his own food, brew his own drinks, perhaps even build his own house. It's the hermit challenge, but with a twist- the whole thing takes place within a perfectly controlled environment, and any challenge he faces is caused by you. Perhaps he wakes up one day to find a Titan chained in front of the booze stockpile, or the water rising and filled with sharks. The next day a Dragon roams the skies until he shoots it down with a home-made bolt and a crossbow he scavenged off a goblin the week before.

As in any other arena, dwarves can watch the action from the sidelines, a large meeting hall filled with statues depicting great dwarven heroes and many chairs, several stories above.
This is to make me recognizable.
Pages: [1] 2 3