Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblinite Flood - How do i deal with it?  (Read 2895 times)

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblinite Flood - How do i deal with it?
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »

Well im my newest fort im doing pretty well, im a good bit into a project and military is holding its own against the goblin horde with few casualties.
My biggest problem is not that the goblins are doing any real damage but they're flooding my god damn map with so much goblinite i cant collect it all before the next siege comes. the sieges are usually 50~ goblins strong and a squad of 10 or so trolls and come once maybe twice a year.

I'm atom smashing it fast as i can get it dumped while melting the useful metal items but cant seem to even make a dent.

I was thinking a magma pit or something over the entrance? But since it wouldnt get rid of the magma safe Iron.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found during the last siege I kill a lot less gobbos if i go on the defensive and put all archer squads into "The Shooting Range" but it still gives too much crap.

Could really use some advice before everything grinds to a halt. (Disabling sieges is a last resort)
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Goblinite Flood - How do i deal with it?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:38 pm »

Turn Iron into Steel, make a gigantic Steel Castle and then construct a system so that you have a constant stream of magma pumped onto it. 

Castle Ala Dwarf
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »

Turn Iron into Steel, make a gigantic Steel Castle and then construct a system so that you have a constant stream of magma pumped onto it. 

Castle Ala Dwarf

Yeah I'm kinda in the middle of building 2 skyscrapers so a mp isnt really an option. I've been turning all the iron into steel but ran out of fuel. As I said i was thinking of magma but it wouldnt get rid of the iron items.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:40 pm »

you could set up a entrance hall lined with bridges , let the gobs in, then atom smash them there and then, let Them haul their own trash to the atom smasher.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:32:22 pm »

you could set up a entrance hall lined with bridges , let the gobs in, then atom smash them there and then, let Them haul their own trash to the atom smasher.

Yeah. It's probably going to have to come down to that. Just use an airlock type system. Have the gobs sit in a room shoot them with my marksdwarves so they at least get some experience and then atom smash.

It's too bad there are no dwarven garbage chutes

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »

Wait. What if I had a room with the floors covered with hatch covers and linked to levers. If i killed the goblins, too the items i wanted then pulled the levers would the remaining items drop through to the pit below?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:46:01 pm »

Trolls would destroy the hatch covers. What you could do is have a floodable corridor, so that the water could push everything towards the atom smasher.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »

I've heard that if you dig down deep enough you'll come across pits that could be used as such. Might be a lot of effort though.

ninja' edit

yeah, that'd work, have the atom smashing room below the marksdwarf reception area. Or you could set up a drainable magma chamber.
just note that the floor grates don't support each other so the room would have to be 2 Grates wide or would need to include columns.
might be better to use a retractable bridge.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »

Trolls would destroy the hatch covers. What you could do is have a floodable corridor, so that the water could push everything towards the atom smasher.

Yeah this seems like a good idea. Have a corridor on one level with floodgates on the right side and a pit on the left. have an atom smasher on the level below.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »

Disable invaders for the moment, so you can start with a clean slate.

Some things I see:

1. The narrow passage between the outside and the butcher's shop. If this is the path your dwarves are taking to haul all the goblin clothing, most of them will spend the whole trip crawling.
2. The trap hallway itself is a little narrow for the traffic generated by the dumping rush.
3. No atom smasher on the screen. Is it hidden by something or tucked away on a different level?
4. Numerous single-tile bottlenecks.

Working with just that screenshot, what I would do is dig a deep hole outside and throw everything down it to be processed once it hits the bottom. Build a barrier somewhere along the way so that nothing can disturb you while you're sorting all the crap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:15:36 pm »

Disable invaders for the moment, so you can start with a clean slate.

Some things I see:

1. The narrow passage between the outside and the butcher's shop. If this is the path your dwarves are taking to haul all the goblin clothing, most of them will spend the whole trip crawling.
2. The trap hallway itself is a little narrow for the traffic generated by the dumping rush.
3. No atom smasher on the screen. Is it hidden by something or tucked away on a different level?
4. Numerous single-tile bottlenecks.

Working with just that screenshot, what I would do is dig a deep hole outside and throw everything down it to be processed once it hits the bottom. Build a barrier somewhere along the way so that nothing can disturb you while you're sorting all the crap.

Yeah. I noticed they were really sluggish. I built another atom smasher outside as i dont have the space for the water corridor outside my entrance going to expand the one tile to a three tile. The single tile bottle necks where there at the start to help me funnel the enemy in to what few traps. And my fortress is kinda built around the various stages. Guess I need to go back over everything and have a look for bits that need expanding.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 11:38:31 pm »

I'm a big fan of cage traps.  Goblin goes in the trap with all his goblinite.  Hauler carries the filled cage to my animal stockpile, which just so happens to be next to my garbage dump.  Once he's there I dump everything he's got into magma so that everything but the iron stuff is burnt away.  It's hilarious watching a swarm of 50 dwarfs converging on one poor caged goblin to jack his stuff.

Also, are you using the mass designation system?  Took me a long time to figure it out.  You can just hit (d)(b)(d) and select all the stuff you need dumped at once.  If you want to melt the iron and dump the rest you can just designate everything for dumping, and then designate everything again for melting.  The melting order will replace the dumping order on each meltable item.
At last, she is done.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 11:41:43 pm »

heh, i cant give any advice on this issue, as my business is decorating and selling goblin clothes.  i have at least a decade's worth of hauling in front of me right now.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 02:57:42 am »

Wait. What if I had a room with the floors covered with hatch covers and linked to levers. If i killed the goblins, too the items i wanted then pulled the levers would the remaining items drop through to the pit below?

Retractable bridges work for this.  If you can dig the pit deep enough, you can get it down to a magma pool right next to your forges.  Then just let everyone pile in, hit the lever and drop everyone into a pit of magma.  Everything but iron will burn/melt away.  Some people don't like it because it melts silver & copper (maybe?), but I wouldn't mind it.  But mine would have to go through all the caverns, which are currently inhabited by FBs.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 04:02:58 am »

Then lots of the items will glitch and become locked in a state halfway between reality and The Void.

I've heard that if you dig down deep enough you'll come across pits that could be used as such. Might be a lot of effort though.

You could just drop it in the magma sea instead. The Semi-Molten Rock does not know mercy.
[Signature]
Pages: [1] 2