Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24208 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #375 on: August 01, 2011, 04:47:41 pm »

The pope can't possibly do that anymore. He has no dedicated army of templars anymore.

THAT'S WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO THINK.

HE'S SHAPING YOUR EXPECTATIONS. BEWARE OF SPAIN.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2011, 04:57:13 pm »

The pope can't possibly do that anymore. He has no dedicated army of templars anymore.

THAT'S WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO THINK.

HE'S SHAPING YOUR EXPECTATIONS. BEWARE OF SPAIN.

NO-ONE EXPECTS...

Did it really come to this? Damn I feel kind of bad for derailing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »

He could still excommunicate a nation, but can't start a war. The nation wouln't probably care much of the excommunication anyway.

Meh. Even in the papacy's glory days thwt sort of thing bsckfired as often as it did work.Look at the aragonese crusade for example

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:54 pm »

I thought being a Mötley Crüe fan and advocating executions for drug users (while winking...) would have tipped you guys off that I was joking. Or that my 1st post in this thread advocated killing juveniles and the mentally ill, while praising Vlad the Impaler and Draco.

Actually, the biggest tip-off is that when people asked questions that were too difficult/put too large a hole in your argument, or when people accused you of trolling, you didn't respond.

... You're welcome >_> <_<

:D

That made my day... Well, night.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2011, 08:21:54 pm »

message deleted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:42:26 pm by Dr.Feelgood »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 01, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »

Poe's Law.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »

That's why you got upset and stopped responding? :P The fact is several people spent over a dozen pages replying to increasingly obvious parody posts. In the future, if I praise any more mass murderers and advocate speedy executions for children I'll be sure to add a sly wink at the end of my posts.

No, but it was tipping me off to the troll idea.

You were very slick otherwise.  I'm honestly impressed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 01, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »

That actually was a pretty good troll, not least because I've heard those exact arguments in actual churches before, just with less self-awareness >______>

I tend to assume that, after Poe's Law is brought up and somebody doesn't cop to it, they're being serious. And here I was giving you credit for at least being a logically consistent monster. I suppose given the particular argument trolling is the better explanation, but I still can't say I appreciate the derail for lulz.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:25 pm »

After giggling at several pages of trolling, I'm going to stick to the topic:

I voted maybe. I'm an anarchist at heart and I can't really say yes or no. Some people might want it, some people might not want it. I'd rather make it a case by case basis. If there's irrefutable proof, cases like murder, rape, or any sort of permanent damage (be is the loss of a limb or psychological damage) should fall in the category where the victim or the closest relatives can decide what to do with the felon. Unlimited. Including 50 years of non-stop torture. Of course, you have to fund your own sentence, but we'd kindly provide you with a gun if you're willing to pay for the bullet. It's in your own hands. You want to be forgiving and let the guy walk free. Sure thing. But if the dude commits further crimes, it's also your responsibility.

I honestly hate the idea of having imaginary entity responsible for executing any sort of judgement on a person. The fact is judges and juries are responsible for what happens to a given criminal and this magic entity removes this responsibility out of them. That's just wrong in my book.

Of course, as it is the case with any sort of 'justice' I'd still be worried about what can be considered irrefutable proof. The last thing I want are innocents or accidents falling into major penalties.

In fact, I think most crimes should never ever have jail time. The punishments should always be either financial or rehab of some kind.

As for the rape versus murder thing. I consider rape way way worse than murder.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »

@Dr. Feelgood: Call me stupid, but I just tend to give the benefit of the doubt on the internet. Besides, it did spark some interesting discussion about morality and added a book to my list, so meh.

As for how I feel about the topic, I..don't think it matters too much. Call me a horrible person, but both of the main solutions (life in prison, murder) solve the issue, do they not? They both effectively stop all functions of the criminal, I fail to see a huge difference between the two.

I've been accused on several occasions of being an emotionless robot with no feelings, though...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2011, 02:11:51 am »

As for how I feel about the topic, I..don't think it matters too much. Call me a horrible person, but both of the main solutions (life in prison, murder) solve the issue, do they not? They both effectively stop all functions of the criminal, I fail to see a huge difference between the two.
You're a horrible person. You should know a dead criminal uses less resources than a living one.

=p

Why nobody has tried to develop commercial products out of human flesh yet? I wouldn't mind dead people, including my body afterwards, to be used for something... Instead of being burnt or buried. *shrugs*

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2011, 02:26:31 am »

You're a horrible person. You should know a dead criminal uses less resources than a living one.

=p

Why nobody has tried to develop commercial products out of human flesh yet? I wouldn't mind dead people, including my body afterwards, to be used for something... Instead of being burnt or buried. *shrugs*

You could always donate your body to science or something.
I don't think that converting human skin to leather would be that large of a difference from any other animal flesh. Can you imagine the commercials and advertising for that sort of stuff, though?

You could even price the stuff based on how 'bad' of a criminal the person was!
-------
But a lot of other people get upset about executions, so either way is the same outcome as far as stopping the criminal, just with different costs and people's morals getting in the way. So whichever way is most cost effective without upsetting a great deal of people?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2011, 02:37:04 am »

Not upsetting people? Impossible.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2011, 02:37:36 am »

Wait, Dr Feelgood wasn't being serious?  :o

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:32 am »

Wait, Dr Feelgood wasn't being serious?  :o
The scary part is that it wasn't possible to tell right away. Poes law man, never fails.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27