Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24321 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »

2. Raise your hand if you seen that one coming. *everyone raises their hand*. :P
You're dodging the question, Godwin'd or not.
3. I'm fully aware that I no longer see them as human. I assume you thought I was sliding down some sort of slick incline and was trying to warn me?
Not at all, it's supremely messed up as it is that you've reduced potentially innocent individuals to "just parasites" because of their imprisonment.

Err, I thought that was just a statement referring to me as a Nazi. Could you clarify what the question was for me?

Even if there were no prisons I would still support using people like serial killers and child rapists as experiment fodder. Just so we are clear on that.

The difference is that nazis used innocent people instead of convicted criminals. It makes you less of a nazi and more of a well intentioned extremist.

Well I'm not exactly for lethal injection, instead being against the death penalty.

Huh.

Well, at the end of the day, I still support my earlier theory, and you still support yours, albeit with new truths revealed.

. . .

Engels

That is all.  Bleh.  I... bleh.

?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2011, 08:08:26 pm »

Fuck me, I meant Mengele.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2011, 08:08:48 pm »

Err, I thought that was just a statement referring to me as a Nazi. Could you clarify what the question was for me?
I was drawing a parallel between your desired plan for capital punishment and that of the People's Republic of China and the Third Reich, both of which hand/handed out human rights abuses like candy on Halloween. The implied question is: "What makes your plan different and not insane?"
Even if there were no prisons I would still support using people like serial killers and child rapists as experiment fodder. Just so we are clear on that.
I find that to be sickening, and would only resort to painless capital punishment on prisoners of that caliber in the event that there were indeed no prisons.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »

Fuck me, I meant Mengele.
I did think your massive social reform was a little off...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2011, 08:09:29 pm »

I am surprised by all the people who are against Capital punishment

I thought it was the unpopular possition.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »

Not even remotely. It might be that way in your area, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:54 pm »

you'd be surprised. This is a very liberal thread, I think I'm the only conservative here, and I'm a moderate conservative at that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2011, 08:12:11 pm »

I did think your massive social reform was a little off...

Yeah, I was thinking "sounds like angel," came up with "Engel," and then stuck on the wrong letter =/

Oh, well.  I do know who Engels is, just couldn't remember who Mengele was.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2011, 08:12:46 pm »

Well, I'm Australian. We don't have capital punishment, and it works well for us. Can't speak for everybody else though, but I was under the impression that b12 was a sort of a left wing affair.

you'd be surprised. This is a very liberal thread, I think I'm the only conservative here, and I'm a moderate conservative at that.
I'm pretty sure Neonivek is a conservative.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »

Yeah, I was kinda of surprised when I was one of the few supporting Capital Punishment.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »

Grimshot already answered why he thinks his ideas aren't insane: these people aren't human to him. The question you should be asking is how he plans to keep innocents from suffering these horrible fates. After all, our current legal system is far from perfect.

I'm thoroughly interested in hearing more about Grimshot's position, if only because he's giving me lots of good villain and anti hero ideas. The best ones are based on real people after all.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2011, 08:26:32 pm »

I would support capital punishment in a perfect world, but it's naive to think that an innocent will never be falsely found guilty, as others have said. The pain in the execution isn't really a concern of mine, as if we've decided that someone has committed dire enough offenses that they deserve to die, we shouldn't be squeamish about how they die. If you don't think they deserve a painful death, then perhaps they don't deserve to die at all?  On a side note, wouldn't cyanide be quick and painless?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2011, 08:29:08 pm »

Cyanide death isn't actually pleasant...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2011, 08:44:11 pm »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27