Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24316 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2011, 07:26:56 pm »

The three combined, I believe. War on drug is not an option, since we wage it as well . There are countries with high gun ownership and very low criminality, so I take it gun ownership is only a problem when murder rate is already high (which is pretty logical).
There's never been any conclusive evidence that gun ownership leads to crime rates, Phmcw. Gun laws in the US have gotten significantly more lax since the 1980's, and in that time period the rate of all violent crimes has dropped like a lead zeppelin. There's no correlation.

Your country almost certainly does not put the same amount of zeal into the War on Drugs that the US does. The US started it, and has remained at the head of it since it began. As for social security, I have no clue what makes you think that's involved.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:28:38 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2011, 07:27:44 pm »

NOTE: I do not in seriousness support firing squads, and voted No to the death penalty in general. This is mostly devils-advocating.

What? You never put a disclaimer when playing devils advocate! It takes all the fun out of the task! You dig a bit of a hole then see if you can climb out or get buried! For your sake I am going to ignore that and continue on with our merry dance.

Okay, yeah, posting that alone would just be shitposting. Anyway, if we first assume excellent aim and high-quality rifles built onto a wall-mounted swivel (to steady the shot), and can thus safely assume that the bullets will hit the correct target, then that would ensure an essentially 100% instant-kill rate.
What? No we can't. Even Olympic athletics with very high quantity equipment are sometimes off the mark, sometimes enough to not kill, just inflict a lot of pain.
We can't just assume that we are so big and tough that if we get really cool guns then we can kill with a 100% success ratio. I mean that sounds like the reasoning of a five year old kid raised by George Bush.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2011, 07:28:00 pm »

Use hollow-points. NEXT OBJECTION, PLEASE.

I think a rifle grenade would be far more effectual.

EDIT: They do. Lethal injections typically include sodium thiopental, which causes unconsciousness well before any of the other drugs involved start to cause problems, and can actually kill on its own.

Ah, thanks for that.

That still does not ensure instant death in 100% of cases.
Also, you didn't address the prior point of mental harm to the firing squad. Please finish what is on your plate before you ask for seconds.

Can't you just lie to them? Put them in a different room and give them some sort of switch?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2011, 07:28:26 pm »

Traditionally, firing squads aim for the heart, not the head.

Bullet to the brainpan is pretty quick, but not instantaneous. Imagine turning off an old TV; there's that moment of static. Lethal injection is just going to sleep, though obviously it takes longer.

Anywho, as I stated earlier, no death penalty is supported by me. As far as euthanasia goes, I dunno if it'd be worthwhile to give the person an option on how they die, but firing squad seems like a reasonable one to list if so.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2011, 07:29:00 pm »

You know lets not dance around the issue

We should ban the use of Firing Squads and replace them with just one rifleman. That would be a lot less silly in my mind.

Can't do it? well then don't COLLECTIVELY kill someone. ARG!!! Firing squads make me so mad in their horrible logic.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:30:57 pm by Neonivek »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2011, 07:30:22 pm »

NOTE: I do not in seriousness support firing squads, and voted No to the death penalty in general. This is mostly devils-advocating.

What? You never put a disclaimer when playing devils advocate! It takes all the fun out of the task! You dig a bit of a hole then see if you can climb out or get buried! For your sake I am going to ignore that and continue on with our merry dance.

Okay, yeah, posting that alone would just be shitposting. Anyway, if we first assume excellent aim and high-quality rifles built onto a wall-mounted swivel (to steady the shot), and can thus safely assume that the bullets will hit the correct target, then that would ensure an essentially 100% instant-kill rate.
What? No we can't. Even Olympic athletics with very high quantity equipment are sometimes off the mark, sometimes enough to not kill, just inflict a lot of pain.
We can't just assume that we are so big and tough that if we get really cool guns then we can kill with a 100% success ratio. I mean that sounds like the reasoning of a five year old kid raised by George Bush.

See my earlier post.

And max, please don't relate this to my political and geographical upbringing please. That's for 4chan and the sad thread.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:23 pm »

Now, before Vector uses her superhuman hearing powers and crucifies me for it, I have some reasons.

I'm sorry, but what?

Fuck if I know anything about how to kill a person, other than the best places to cut him in half with a sword.  Jeez.

If we're going to go with the death penalty for sake of argument, I can't say that I know a damned thing about it!

On the other hand, I will say that the electric chair is pretty damned disgusting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2011, 07:32:55 pm »

As for social security, I have no clue what makes you think that's involved.

If you have absolutely no other resources you will turn to criminality. It's only logical. I expected social security to be the obvious one.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2011, 07:33:20 pm »

called it

That I can agree with. both hanging and the electric chair just sound really gruesome.

It'd be like- "Hey, you can either be burned to death, or suffocate until you die in seven minutes!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »

I know what in some countries surviving your execution is grounds for being let go.

I think the USA don't have laws like that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »

We should ban the use of Firing Squads and replace them with just one rifleman. That would be a lot less silly in my mind.
But then somebody would need to take responsibly for a death on an operational level, and we can't have that! We have large systems built up to ensure nobody has responsibility for anything because they can hide behind legislation made by people long dead.

And max, please don't relate this to my political and geographical upbringing please. That's for 4chan and the sad thread.
Did I? I apologise. I'm not very sure where I did do this, but I am sorry either way. I mean I did mention that somebodies reasoning (And that person wasn't even you) were on the level of a little kid raised by a war monger. That doesn't exactly relate to political or geographical. It does, however, discriminate against age, and if there are any five year old out there who feel offended, then please tell me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2011, 07:36:35 pm »

But then somebody would need to take responsibly for a death on an operational level, and we can't have that! We have large systems built up to ensure nobody has responsibility for anything because they can hide behind legislation made by people long dead

But they are ALREADY responsible... They are just using idiot logic to object.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »

Crap, I forgot my sarcasm tags again.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2011, 07:37:41 pm »

As for social security, I have no clue what makes you think that's involved.

If you have absolutely no other resources you will turn to criminality. It's only logical. I expected social security to be the obvious one.
It's not really all that logical, true or false. If you get arrested you'll never get out of your resourcelessness.
I know what in some countries surviving your execution is grounds for being let go.

I think the USA don't have laws like that.
There are indeed laws like that here, they just don't really get used due to the effectiveness of modern methods. Back in the 1800's, if you survived being hanged anywhere between one and three times, they'd declare that God wishes you to live and release you, lest they call down the wrath of their deity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2011, 07:38:59 pm »

Crap, I forgot my sarcasm tags again.

Dang my tendency to take EVERYTHING seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27