Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24284 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #195 on: July 31, 2011, 05:23:24 am »

Black and white morality is a sign of a young child or a disturbed adult. Seriously, a lot of rather bad psychological conditions lead off with "Black and White thinking".

Personally I subscribe to the idea of "The Myth of Morality", that morality doesn't actually exist but is a rather useful lie society uses to keep people in line. Morality is an individual weakness, but if everybody was strong enough to ignore it we'd have what always happens when you have a gathering of the strong and independent: chaos, war, and eventually domination. Individual weakness, but herd strength.

And that's why morality rarely applies to people outside of our herd. It's why gang culture forms to the harm of those not in the gang, it's why school is hell (so many cliques)...the instant you stop considering a person inside your herd, you can do anything to them and it's only fear of the consequences that'll stop you.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:35:06 am by MorleyDev »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2011, 05:26:50 am »

I prefer the idea that morality is a sign of common sense. We don't do certain things to others because it sets a standard that others could do the same to us, so I don't throw stones lest somebody hit me with one. Our empathy allows us to function as a society, and that is a strength.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2011, 05:29:28 am »

You have a pretty positive view of humanity. Personally, I think it's crap. Mankind has messed up so much, and a metric shit-ton of it is due to lack of empathy, compassion and all that.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2011, 05:34:13 am »

I think that morality come from the combination of wisdom, knowledge and intelligence.
If you have all three, you'll be moral.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2011, 05:36:16 am »

Black and white morality is a sign of a young child or a disturbed adult. Seriously, a lot of rather bad psychological conditions lead off with "Black and White thinking".

Personally I subscribe to the idea of "The Myth of Morality", that morality doesn't actually exist but is a rather useful lie society uses to keep people in line. Morality is an individual weakness, but if everybody was strong enough to ignore it we'd have what always happens when you have a gathering of the strong and independent: chaos, war, and eventually domination. Individual weakness, but herd strength.
The "The Myth of Morality" is that only weak people have them. To many amoral "Strong" people have been strung up because the "weak" have decided they've had enough bull***t.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2011, 05:46:22 am »

Except I never said being that strong in that area would be a positive thing. You have to have some force of will to ignore society. Whether this is a positive or negative thing, whether it works to your detriment or benefit, or the detriment or benefit of others is not encompassed in what I said.

I used strong and weak without praising either, because either no other words exist or I simply lack the vocabulary to think of them to encompass what I was referring to...it's probably more to the benefit of most people, long term, to be of the herd.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:49:51 am by MorleyDev »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2011, 05:49:46 am »

Strong has a positive connotation, weak has a negative one, therefore unless your talking about structural integrity or acids, when you say strong you mean something good. That's just English.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2011, 05:50:51 am »

If you can suggest an alternative phrasing, I'll use that instead.

That's just English.

And it will always annoy me endlessly. Like if I say I don't like something, people assume I dislike it. There's a world of difference between the pure apathy of "I don't like" and the active attention required to "dislike". Or "abnormal" meaning bad, even though being incredibly intelligent also qualifies as "abnormal"...

It's really annoying ^^
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:53:46 am by MorleyDev »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2011, 05:57:12 am »

Ah, but abnormal has a negative connotation in a very different way. That is because people associate it with bad, not because it is bad.
If you think empathy is a beneficial thing, then the correct way to word it would be to say that empathy is a strength.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2011, 06:00:28 am »

Actually I think it can be both. It helps in some situations, but there are others where you can get miles ahead of everybody else by ignoring or lacking it. Big Business and Politics are areas where trying to give a crap about people will hurt you more than simply helping them as a side-effect of your own advancement. On the other hand, a social worker probably should give a crap.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:02:50 am by MorleyDev »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2011, 06:03:30 am »

Actually I wish more people were strong enough to ignore commonly accepted morality. It annoy me to no end when it's all that someone can find to justify it's actions. And it's usually to justify pretty negatives one.

Edit: Given how assuming is frequent on the INTERNET, I'll clarify : I wish people actually sought the basis of morality, the reason why the rules have been established instead of blindly following them (or not) and the refuse those without justification.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:08:20 am by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2011, 08:45:36 am »

The "The Myth of Morality" is that only weak people have them. To many amoral "Strong" people have been strung up because the "weak" have decided they've had enough bull***t.

+1 :)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2011, 09:02:28 am »

+many. Not enough insane bastard "strong" people are locked up for good, in my opinion. It's a revolting, warped way to think that diminishes other peoples' worth in the eyes of the egoistic lunatic who thinks of themself as "strong".
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2011, 09:05:30 am »

I think that morality come from the combination of wisdom, knowledge and intelligence.

Empathy. You need this.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2011, 09:10:37 am »

Empathy. You need this.

If you have the three, I believe you'll understand that this one is not optional.
An ego-centric system is inherently inferior. Luckily.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27