Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Succesion Dreammine - Gargoyle tower  (Read 10640 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Succesion Game - Dreammine Signing up now!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 11:00:57 am »

Here be the journal of Karakzon
SPRING
Granite 1st:
We arrived. Simple to say it that way, but what you really need to know is arrived to what and where? This place is a hell hole. Pure and simple. Why any honest dwarf would set up here is beyond my reckoning.  First off, we have no surface water; second, we have no stone, and third, were in a terrifying place. The night screeches at us out in the open and theirs wild elephants out and about. Elephants I tell you. Bad luck animals if I ever saw one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Least we won’t be wanting for water then... an aquifer to top off, meaning no stone. Still, needs must, clay will make a wall, and a wall will keep things out long enough for us to get into Armoks blessing. For now, I order some rudimentary rooms carved out, some clay gathered, and some farms be set up/trees chopped down. With this place I think it best to isolate ourselves off as fast as possible.

13th of Granite:
Seems we can’t collect clay without a kiln apparently. Because that’s were we queue the work order from. Hmmm. This makes no logical sense but hell. I’ve ordered a wooden wall built food underground, every tree we see to be cut down and pump components made, this should work. I’ll need well over 30 pump stack component sets if what I’m initially planning doesn’t work out. While this is being done, ill order the booze be made and the farm started.

21st Felsite
So far, we have consolidated an entrance, not much of one mark, but it’ll keep the beasties out while we work to get through this damnable aquifer.
27th of Hemanite
Progress goes slowly here. And now we have harpies to deal with, for all the confounded creatures. Time for that dwarf Wannazzaki to prove his worth. I haven’t had much chance to talk to these much, were all busy. If we don’t crack the aquifer in short order, I dread to think of the consequences.

He cut it into chunks and it died of blood loss.
1-0   To Dreammine.
The other one goes after the dwarf Conrad.  YOUVE GOT A AXE! HIT IT DAMN YOOU!!
Some days, these things depress me, finally they turn round and wallop the feathered nuisance one.
Conrad gains a kill. And will be drafted into the military for being such an utter pebble. She got a cut on her hand from running away. Needless to say I don’t bury my face in my beard and sob, but tell her to get back to work. She’s not happy. But we’ll live.

2-0   to Dreammine

15th of Malachite
Sorry journal, I don’t really update you as much as I should, but today we got more migrants. With each individual, well soon get through this aquifer. The farms are up and brewing going to commence, don’t know if booze brewed in a wooden still will taste any good, but we’ll see.

Migrants as follows:
1 High master grower woman dwarf – a great boon to us.
1 brewer dwarf. Not bad, complemented me on my shoes though which made me stop and stare. Weirdo.
1 metal smith. Not much use, get to hauling love.
1 presser with novice surgery skills. Will have to make him the medical officer for now, maybe he can see to Conrad’s cut hand and cheer her up.
1 Butcher who’s also good at general fighting, in with Wannazzaki with you.
Also came with a mule and a chic. Not bad.

23rd of Malachite   and we have power!  Not bad, let’s get the show going now lads.
In the meantime, I order some beds made so we can actually sleep in comfort.

We got some comfort today; we now know the pumping plan WORKS. All that remains is to connect the pumps up along each edge and to a power source, adding more when needed.  The pleasing prospect is that it’s entirely made from wood. Boy are the elves going to be pissed.

7th of Galena

Theirs elephants abound here. If I was a Wiley hunter, or if we get someone who can shoot without being cack-handed, we would have more meat and bones than we could eat. It would be welcome....
-rest of the entry is obscured by drool or rabbles on about light and dark meat, along with a song  in the margin titled “food glorious food!”

The only reason why I’m not dying from fps right now is because of the low dwarf count. If we get too many dwarfs and a weak computer, then we may fail. Gentlemen, we are on a time limit.
To speed things up, I have decided to use the old noggin to figure out a way to do this using less parts, concerning the use of wooden walls and partially draining so we can lock off the aquifers.
Since I’m none too keen to lose any axes or anything not made of blasted damn wood, keeping everyone inside as much as possible would be best.

24th of galena
Were working in shifts to build the wall down there. Since the water flow is strong, were getting pushed about sommert chronic. The shifts give us a break, if we can get one or two sides walled off well have made significant progress, I just hope to be able to continue and finish my work here before winter.

14th of Limestone
It’s autumn. Were a quarter of the way through. Unfortunately, it looks like ill be leaving this task up to the next overseer to finish. But the basics are down now, so it shouldn’t be too hard. Depending, i may get through but not have time to dig very much. a shame.
If there’s another layer under this one, it’ll be easier to punch through since well have the upper aquifer to pump water into to get rid of it. After that, unless were really unlucky, we should just hit stone at long last. These wooden walls are getting to me.

27th Limestone
A leopard is spotted. The two troops are dispatched.
And they promptly go to the booze stockpile.... well done lads.

3rd of sandstone
More migrants! More pebble meisters to do my bidding! Muhahahaha!
Get to work.
1 jeweller
1 fisher dwarf/fighter, into the military with you
1 expert clothier/accomplished furnace operator.
1 Milker who’s now the leader of second squad
1 worthless peasant pebble.
1 potter/healthcare guy
1 brilliant leatherworker, assigned to wood and bone as well, he’ll be there to carve the dead animals into useful items
1 Hunter, now leader of our first archer contingent
And that’s it, bar a few animals, and oh god, a kitten?
Oh no. It begins.
6th sandstone
Some puppy births. Woo, guard dogs. The joy
7th Of Timber: BREAK THROUGH!

We now have access to stone! Were through the aquifer.

17th of timber:
Oh crap oh crap oh crap.
Ogres! Two of the filthy buggers!
Seal off the entrance!
Their busting down the doors...
Lets solve this the true dwarven way. Both wood cutters, into the military with you. Prepare to group rush them.

I can scarcely believe my eyes. We may yet be saved. Shame I’ve not made any crafts what so ever for them. :/ still, nice to know we’re not going to be turned into ogre play things. After this I’m ordering a proper drawbridge.
I order the make shift rabble out just as the caravan comes round the corner.
A shot from the caravan marksdorf and a shot from ours and one ogre already wants to run, the way its breathings laboured I don’t blame it. The other one is closing with the caravan.
In the confusion the ogres break for it, most of ours went after one, the caravan guard and a recruit went after the other.
Turning back, one of the ogres grabs Conrad and breaks her arm and hand. The others are soon on it. Shell survives if we get the doc to her fast enough. The beast breaks again and try’s it with Wannazzaki, who promptly buries his axe in its right upper arm. If flees yet again.
Meanwhile, one of the dwarfs has been wailing on the crippled by bolts ogre. He didn’t pick up a weapon. This is going to take a while. Conrads fainted in the field.

Mr run about has ran right into the caravan guards again. He won’t get away this time.
The kill goes to the caravan swords dwarf. Wannazzaki is not pleased, but he’s glad that’s over, meanwhile, the other dwarfs are still trying to brutalise the last ogre with the wooden spears I gave them.
The kill goes to the marksdorf, a steel bolt to the brain.

In a vain effort to provide at least something, I order the screw pump components delivered to the trade deport, along with some barrels of meat.

On other news, excavation of the new stone section goes well. We’ve hit massive deposits of iron here. So when we get an industry up, it’ll be something worthwhile. It’s now winter.
The broker traded all of it for some weapons, mainly a mace and a war hammer, and some trap components. A bit of booze, and some cloth for the hospital. I don’t wish Conrad to die just yet.
14th of moonstone
I feel things have gone smoothly, now were in stone and some proper defences can be erected, I feel less strained. I doubt I’d be able to handle the next year in this position, I don’t want the hassle. Ill resign come spring and take up my calling of being a miner and an architect.
25th of moonstone: Another harpy attack, the caravan dorfs kill them contemptuously.
They kill one of our kittens though. This place is not suited for cats. And it’s a reminder that out there, many dangerous beasts lurk to bring us to ruin.

The liaison asked for what we needed. I gave him the usual, wood, booze, weapons, ammo. Food.
I was glad to hear Conrad got better. A splint and some stitches and all was well.
Another harpy came, it struck down one of our nanny goats. It’s pretty mangled. It won’t make it.
6th of opal:
The drawbridge plans are proceeding well. Well be able to seal ourselves off soon. Since now we have rock for building and mechanisms. It’ll be allot safer than sending the wood cutters out as much.

23rd of Opal
POSSESION! Damn. Hope they don’t need anything more than a carpenter’s workshop or a masons.

The butcher wasn’t going anywhere so I commissioned a craft shop
Let’s hope it’s something simple. Ah, Limonite, and started construction. Thankfully.
I did hear that you can manipulate these dwarfs into creating massive effigies of history. I dare not try it.

As with all great things: great quality, bad imagery. Elves? We hate elves! Why the heck would we want this? Still. It doesn’t bear thinking about. This possession didn’t leave any skills behind either. So, No legendary crafts dwarf for us. Still, its worth 28800 dwarf bucks so.

Hopefully, in future, well be able to move the farming down some levels. With the aquifer above us, it shouldn’t be too hard for a dwarf who knows what he’s doing.

22nd of Obsidian
More ogres. Good thing we’ve got the drawbridge set up now. We won’t be in a position of compromise.

1st of Granite
Time to grab someone. HEY YOU! YOU’RE IN CHARGE NOW! ENJOY!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4759

The next save.

I havent dorfed you yet crazycow. honestly i forgot to. so pick who ever you fancy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:05:20 am by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 11:16:45 am »

Poor, poor (female?) me! I'm guessing I'm a woodcutter, then? Oh, and just a heads up, I just realized I'll be leaving town for the week next Saturday. I might need to postpone my turn, if that's alright
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 11:20:35 am »

tis fine. its crazy cows turn next. and well just keep bumping you up 1 at a time untill you can do a turn.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 11:58:05 am »

Righto. I wanted to dorf myself, so all works out well. DLing now...

EDIT:
Also, you're giving me far too much credit. I only made one mod, no need to put my name over everything :P

EDIT EDIT:
Damnations, my game refuses to load the save. Are you using a tileset? If so, I need to change the raws to those for ASCII graphics.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:19:32 pm by Crazy Cow »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 12:20:21 pm »

its promotion. so shh xP
besides, i put in a suprise or two myself.

Vulkus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 05:00:26 pm »

Hey,

I'd be honoured if I could potentially take a turn at one point myself, though you have my apologies if I'm too late or something.

Vortiman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 05:26:12 pm »

Could I get in on this?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 04:30:57 am »

both added to turn list,
^^

oh and sorry, i use phoebus tileset, so youll have to change to what ever you like to use and so on. changeing tilesets is easy with the lazy newb pack utility.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:33:20 am by Karakzon »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 08:07:21 am »

Well, the save won't work for me. While I try to figure this out, can you skip me for the next person?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:01 am »

that would be vulkus, if conrad dosent take up the offer. ill try conrad first, see if he can get a turn done.

if no one else can access the file, ill upload my entire game file with the save in it and see if that works.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 09:52:13 am »

I doubt it is you, as I have had problems with other saves before. I have a thread in General Discussion, and I hope I can get this solved.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:02 am »

I'm assuming I'll have until next sunday to upload it? I have a few things to do today (so no time) but other than barbecuing like mad this week, I'm completely free until Friday. I'll download the save to see if it works and then I'll get started playing tomorrow.

EDIT: The save seems to work for me, other than the strange fact that a lot of the walls have different symbols than I'm used to.

EDIT2: Would you like to play with no exotics? The way it's bugged now, we'll never be able to get all the real cool animals from the caverns and such.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:43:02 am by Conrad »
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 12:24:48 pm »

i play with no exotics already.

Vulkus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 01:52:23 pm »

Alright, I'll check this thread regularly then and grab the save when my turn comes around.  8)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:31 am »

Awesome. Posting to watch the madness.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7