Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning grazing down/off?  (Read 2309 times)

Itsapaul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turning grazing down/off?
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:35 am »

Is there a way to edit the raws where creatures either don't have to graze or have to at a negligible amount?  After reading a good bit of boatmurdered I like the idea of just trading elephants for a ton of stuff, but apparently they just die when they're tamed.  Plus I liked not having to worry about animals with everything else that goes on.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turning grazing down/off?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

Remove [GRAZER:#] from the creature raws.  These files are, predictably, the ones beginning with "creature_".  You must remove the [GRAZER:#] tag from every creature that you wish to change.  If you wish to do this in an already-generated world, you must change the raws in the data\save\region# folder, NOT the ones in the main DF directory.

You may also set these numbers higher to decrease the amount of grass needed, if you want to keep the grazing element in the game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:12:58 pm by i874236951 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:29 pm »

Carnivores don't need to graze, egglayers apart from elk birds don't need to, and dogs and cats don't either.

To edit the raws to remove grazing entirely you can use some sort of utility to change "[GRAZER" to "GRAZER". The extra closing tag this creates doesn't do any harm. Grazers aren't too hard to keep if you let them roam free in a huge area (no pastures, they're a pain in the butt with any significant population) with several pet-impassable doors to keep them there. A surface grazing area with the layer beneath dug out is very efficient, as both trees and shrubs need to be within two tiles of a natural wall beneath (not sure if it needs to be soil) to grow. Removing the lower layer will also give you another level to graze on. As for elephants, I've been considering changing their grazer value to 45. If you just want them for trade, you can tame them while the caravan is there and let them deal with the animal's dietary needs.

The only problem comes with civilian burrow restrictions, as any active civilian burrows cause animals to hump up against the doors like idiots.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:35 pm »

Also you cannot trade any animals with the traders. the item will come up as elephant cage, but the dwarves will only bring the cage. Causing Fun if it's something like a bronze colossus. >_>

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!