Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma & Volcanoes, oh my!  (Read 996 times)

Jacke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma & Volcanoes, oh my!
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:56:30 am »

A couple of years ago I found out about Dwarf Fortress and played around with the After Action Reporter Tutorial for version 0.28.181.40d for a while (which I now see are the first pinned entry in this section, done by TinyPirate).  Last week I decided to give it another try (via the Lazy Newb Pack, what a good package).  Have things evolved.  So I'm soaking in all this stuff.  Wow.

Looking at the industries, I see a lot of fuel being used.  Would be so much easier with magma.  But a that's a lot of Z-levels to mine down, you've got to dodge the caverns, you need to build a deep magma reservoir and tap the sea, and either build a magma-proof pump stack, a magma piston, or run the magma forges down below.  Grrrr.  Arrrrgh. >:(  (But you're so close to all that sweet, sweet candy. :) )

So I generated another world looking for a volcano.  (Just a basic gen with a short history and frequent minerals.)  Oh, there's a volcano, on an island!  So I fire off a quick embark to check it out.  (See 7zip for save directories.)

Hmmm.  Aquifer.  Ocean.  And for some reason the volcano's magma pipe got misplaced?!?

Everything goes better with magma.  Am I wanting it too easy to have it near the surface and all?

And wtf with that volcano?  Something wrong with the map generation or what?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:52:43 pm by Jacke »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Magma & Volcanoes, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:14:25 am »

did you happen to move your embark in the local area map to cover the volcano?  my first couple of attempts at using a volcano i did not do this, and i too was stumped as to why there wasent a volcano on my embark.  on the local view map, the volcano looks like a single tile of magma (the red double ~)
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:26:06 pm »

The good thing about the new version is that every map has magma.  The bad news is that it can be pretty far away.

Here's what I do: gen a world with 20-30 underground layers.  It's still way more than we had in 40d, and that way the magma is within reach but still a challenge to access.  The other upside is that fewer z-levels means fewer FPS woes :)
At last, she is done.

Jacke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:23:54 pm »

did you happen to move your embark in the local area map to cover the volcano?  my first couple of attempts at using a volcano i did not do this, and i too was stumped as to why there wasent a volcano on my embark.  on the local view map, the volcano looks like a single tile of magma (the red double ~)
Oh, the embark covered the volcano, and it's there too. :)  The ground slopes and there's a spot where you'd think the volcano should be.   But the magma pipe is stuck out almost offshore, exactly where it was showing on the local map.  It rises up out of the shale beach like some sort of wide demonic chimney.  Best seen with Stonesense or a similar tool.

The good thing about the new version is that every map has magma.  The bad news is that it can be pretty far away.

Here's what I do: gen a world with 20-30 underground layers.  It's still way more than we had in 40d, and that way the magma is within reach but still a challenge to access.  The other upside is that fewer z-levels means fewer FPS woes :)
Just started poking around with the advanced world gen.  But fewer z-levels means less rock and ore! :(  Closer to the candy, though. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:55:27 pm by Jacke »

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 06:44:34 pm »

Increase the minimum number of volcanoes and the X and Y variance of volcanism in advanced world gen. That should get you a lot of volcanoes spread all over the place. It also seems to increase the chance of getting coal near a volcano to aid steel production if you embark on two or more biomes. By doing that and setting mineral scarcity to around 1000 I managed to get a warm, savage/mirthful embark with iron, flux and coal exposed to the surface, a river, a volcano and lots of trees and shrubs after genning just one world and searching for 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:25:16 pm by Darkweave »