Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth-- World 5  (Read 10942 times)

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth-- World 5
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »

edit: woops, meant to send a PM but hit reply in this thread instead.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 11:56:18 pm »

Been having a hard time getting into this World, I keep landing in highly populated areas that are completely surrounded by rivers and I have no desire to get boatmaking and making a boat just to escape the region... (highly populated areas scare me)

EDIT: If anyone has a village in a less populated area wouldn't mind letting me through their Hearth that'd be cool, I'm not really looking to live within a village, but I'd gladly settle near (not too near) by for trade and mutual help.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:17:11 am by Infuriated »

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 11:42:38 am »

We live in a pretty small river system (the smallest I've seen yet). I'll send you a pm.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 12:38:12 pm »

...God damnit. I couldn't resist the siren call of this game again. :(

I started in an area surrounded by at least three very large, abandoned villages. Victims to massive raids, by the looks of all the hearthfires.

I'm actually really liking this new LP system. Feels much better than the horrible grinding from before. With the curios thing, it's more like the grinding is being done in the background, while you concentrate on less meta-gaming things, like exploring and surviving, instead of crafting 5000 wicker baskets and deforesting entire continents for no good reason.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 02:29:33 pm »

Yeah, I agree. This LP system has taken away one of my biggest gripes with the game: the grind. Or at least the "hunt bears for 7 hours a day to keep up with your villagemate's lp" kinda grind.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:50 pm »

I actually prefered the grind near the start. Now, I've realised that it's MUCH better to just live near a swamp and get Green Dragonflies. I try to keep at least 4-5 in a cupboard, and restock every couple of days.

I actually enjoy World 5, it gave me a reasonably fresh start after I made one of the biggest dick moves of all time.
My new village is great, except for our lawspeaker having a big prejudice towards Russians (Every Russian I've met in this game has been nice, I guess I'm just lucky), and the fact that some of our closest neighbours are Russians who use google translate to talk to us :/

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »

I hate russians too, maybe I should try to contact your Lawspeaker.  hahaha, well the thing is that in world 2+3 russians ran a huge assortment of very brutal raiding towns, so anyone who was a ranger during those times ended up with a pretty huge hate for russians.
Nom nom nom

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 03:21:40 pm »

I hate russians too, maybe I should try to contact your Lawspeaker.  hahaha, well the thing is that in world 2+3 russians ran a huge assortment of very brutal raiding towns, so anyone who was a ranger during those times ended up with a pretty huge hate for russians.

Yeah, but then, AD was fucking scary, and you were taught to be afraid of Russians. Now, with AD a weak little mess, you find that many Russians are quite nice.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »

I don't seem to be able to run the client anymore... it claims it can't find java  :'(

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 01:17:27 pm »

Been having a hard time getting into this World, I keep landing in highly populated areas that are completely surrounded by rivers and I have no desire to get boatmaking and making a boat just to escape the region... (highly populated areas scare me)
But boatmaking is the most important skill to get, even more than Yeomanry. Having a boat enhances foraging and hunting by orders of magnitude, which in turn speeds up your character development.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 01:19:45 pm »

Hey guys, just want to say thanks to everyone who joined our still-being-developed village. If anyone still wants to get in, please PM me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:30:19 pm by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »

do you have an actual village idol?
Nom nom nom

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 01:31:48 pm »

I'm scared. I'm REALLY scared.
Our village leader is letting someone in.
Guess who it is.
It's El Gato.

I'm not joking. Please tell me he's not a murderous death machine o.o

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 01:32:55 pm »

AFAIK he backstabbed 3 villages that let him in so far. Remember though, losing is fun.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 01:42:43 pm »

Hahahah that sucks, make sure to post all the drama that happens here for our sadistic pleasure.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6