Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Opinion poll:  (Read 3448 times)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Opinion poll:
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:24:57 am »

Say, hypothetically, that I have an embark point with a large stone peak in the middle of it, surrounded by relatively flat land.  In a fit of mildly dwarfy creativity, I decide to construct my fortress inside this peak.. then shear away all sections of the mountain which are NOT inhabited.... essentially carving a castle from a massive, single block of stone.  Would it be dwarfier to leave the mineral veins showing, as they naturally occurred before I dug the rest of the mountain away, or would it be more impressive to select a color (say.. "RED" so that my floors won't show gore as badly..) and then mine out, and construct replacement parts for all non-red natural stone? 

If I remember correctly, building destroyers can't crush natural stone OR constructed walls, although constructed walls cannot be smoothed/engraved.  So, there's no defensive advantage to color-coordination, but there's a loss of value/happy thoughts which I don't REALLY mind greatly (I can offset the lack of happy as the fortress expands).  I'm purely concerned with the dwarfiness of the project.  Opinions?

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion poll:
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:31:26 am »

I think you should leave the walls as they are but pave the floors in the single metal of your choice.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:29 am »

It's a bit more dwarfy to leave the raw stone as-is, but that's also a slightly easier route, negating the previous dwarfiness. In other words, it really doesn't matter. Your call; personal preference.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:45:51 am »

make the mountain into a volcano and flood the world with magma pumped from the depths

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:48:57 am »

Choose yellow and build it out of native gold blocks.

Or orthoclase, if you can't be bothered. Anyhow, I'd choose to leave the original rock. Otherwise it's really no more than just a castle. If it's a castle made from natural rock, then that's something unique.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:54:00 am »

make the mountain into a volcano and flood the world with magma pumped from the depths

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:57:28 am »

for reference, large sections of the mountain are (thus far) kaolinite and limonite.  And chert, but f*** chert.

so, if left au naturel, it'll be a big red/yellow/brown thing.  The idea of an actual "iron fortress" has appeal, but I suspect in this climate it'd be TOUGH to air condition.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 02:02:22 am »

Can you give the seed of the world with this feature? I've been looking for a site just like this for some time. I'm currently somewhat engrossed in a fortress of my own, but it would be nice to tuck something like this away for later.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 02:07:53 am »

I would suggest cutting away everything save the actual rooms/hallways, and the outer shell.  Then do some obsidian casting, remove the outer shell, and presto!  Instant ominously black fortress with colorful interior decorating.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 02:10:42 am »

I would suggest cutting away everything save the actual rooms/hallways, and the outer shell.  Then do some obsidian casting, remove the outer shell, and presto!  Instant ominously black fortress with colorful interior decorating.
This is actually a very cool sounding idea.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 02:18:07 am »

Chert? I take back my opinion. Replace brown with a better color.

And
This is actually a very cool sounding idea.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:13:07 am »

Depending on how closely you'd like to mirror it.. 
[TITLE:CREATE WORLD NOW = 3333344]
[SEED:319522594]
[HISTORY_SEED:2183731510]
[NAME_SEED:2117703900]
[CREATURE_SEED:362270792]

A caveat though:  By "large stone peak" I mean about 3 z-levels tall.    I figure I can lower the rest of the world to make it taller, as needed. 

I found the site by searching for:
Clay (Y)
Aquifer (N)
Flux stone (Y)
Deep metals (M)
Shallow metals (M)
River (Y)

The initial site is in the central area of the map, on a small mountain range.  HOWEVER, I started a second fortress in the same world (mistakes were made...  <_<) which is slightly southwest of the original site..  It has similar geography, but this site is also AWASH in bubble bulb.. which I hope could lead to unicorn cavalry.  Or at least unicorn-leather armor.

The amended proposition is now this: the original tower shall be carved whole from the living rock, left as-discovered for polishing and engraving the history of the fortress "Sandearths."  The top of this main tower will be left as a unicorn pasture.  I will then pave a section of sky, centered on the unicorn pasture, and irrigate it for use as farmland/woodland. 

8 smaller towers, linked by walls, will enclose both the central site and the sky-prairie.  I haven't yet decided whether these will be extruded-obsidian, or metal walls with gemstone gates as in the book of Revelations..   The sky-prairie will be sealed in from above by a roof of clear glass, and the extended ground-level "courtyard" between the exterior wall and the original tower will be flooded with magma, with passage into the fortress achieved via a glass tunnel UNDER the magma (affording elven caravans a preview of their eventual destination.)  Defense of the glass tunnel shall be accomplished in the usual fashion (death traps, etc.)  This seems sufficiently dwarfy to me.

Update:  Gah.  Site is too small for the design as proposed!  Back to the dwarfing board..
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:34:12 am by Mount »

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 04:54:33 am »

Leave the walls au naturel and wrap the mountainhome in obsidian and/or steel instead. Then pour magma down to provide heating.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 09:31:14 am »

Nonono, you gotta make it as-is.  And leave the lower section of the mountain intact.  Make it look like you just sliced away the upper half of the mountain and then carved the stump into a fort, with a path leading to the surface.  It will look gorgeous on overseer, to watch the mountain's base rise up into sheer fortress walls, carved from the living stone, smooth and solid as one piece of the mountain.

Work WITH the natural shape, not against it!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 01:33:10 pm »

Your asking about dwarfiness and then talking about not wanting to show the gore??? O.o
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.
Pages: [1] 2