Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Having trouble with idlers  (Read 1011 times)

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Having trouble with idlers
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »

Not sure what the problem is, but I have a lot of mining designated but only one dwarf actually doing the digging.  I'm going through the unit list and assigning any dwarf I can to Mining but they aren't doing anything.  I had this issue on a previous game I'd started up where they just hung around the wagon, wouldn't even dig the first tunnel I'd designated (or the many others I tried)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble with idlers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:58:41 pm »

each miner needs a pick, if you only have 1 pick, only one dwarf can mine, how many picks do you have?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »

Well I know I had more than one at least when I set out.  It's possible that it could've been lost in all the chaos which occurred early on with an enraged badger boar.  I'm probably going to have to wait until the next caravan to buy more because I don't think I have the required materials.

EDIT: I just had an elven caravan show up and start heading for my settlement.  While I'm on the topic of trading, I think it should be mentioned that I really don't understand the whole mechanic.  Is the first list to come up the objects I wish to sell?  If so, how do I select what I want to buy?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:09:44 pm by InfiniVide »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:12:08 pm »

the list on the left is the stuff the caravan has, the right side is your stuff.  You have to move things to the depot before you can trade them, by 'q'ing' over the depot and selecting 'move goods to depot', then choose what you want to sell and your dwarves will haul them over.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:19:46 pm »

the list on the left is the stuff the caravan has, the right side is your stuff.  You have to move things to the depot before you can trade them, by 'q'ing' over the depot and selecting 'move goods to depot', then choose what you want to sell and your dwarves will haul them over.

And with that, I'm lightyears ahead of where I was previously.  Never even saw that menu before now.  Thanks!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:29:56 pm »

(t)rade will swap your stuff for theirs. (o)ffer will give them your stuff, for free.

To find your other pick (I'm assuming you picked Play Now or didn't alter the items on the Prepare Carefully screen?), go into the status screen (z), move to the 'Stocks' tab, go down to 'weapons', and press Tab. Assuming you have less than ten weapons on site, you should see a list of individual weapons. One of these might have curly brackets around it and an 'F' to the right. Highlight it, press f to unforbid it, and press z to zoom directly to the pick to make sure it's not at the bottom of a pond or something.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40:23 pm »

I see that I have two copper picks available.  I'm unable to use the zoom to find them though (no F to the right)

EDIT: I marked them both as Dump so they'll go to my garbage area. I then claimed them and it seems like they've gone to a stockpile somewhere and I can't get anyone to use them now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:58:33 pm by InfiniVide »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:06:00 am »

I see that I have two copper picks available.  I'm unable to use the zoom to find them though (no F to the right)

EDIT: I marked them both as Dump so they'll go to my garbage area. I then claimed them and it seems like they've gone to a stockpile somewhere and I can't get anyone to use them now.
for the stocks screen to allow you to zoom, you need to have a bookkeeper (n)oble assigned, set to the highest level of percision by highlighting his position in the nobles menu and viewing his (s)ettings
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 12:10:28 am »

Yeah, I'd had a bookkeeper assigned already and he's got the highest precision selected.  I experimented with other things in the stocks menu and I can't zoom to any of them.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:28:48 am »

Does he have an office? setting precsion doesn't seem to have an effect until he gets a place to work..
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:33:15 am »

Yup, has an office.  However, I was able to trade for a couple of picks so now I'm somewhat better off.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 01:39:23 am »

Assuming that you arrived with an anvil, if you have any access to weapons-grade metal ores (native copper, native silver, magnatite, limonite, hematite) and access to trees (and hopefully coal or lignite) you might want to consider crafting a few new picks of your own.  Material quality is important when making weapons, but "tool" type weapons like picks and axes can be made with lower grade material without much concern. 

You will need to establish a rudimentary metalworking industry to produce these though.  You will need to construct a metalsmith's forge from the workshop sub-menu (using the anvil you brought with you) and a smelter from the furnace sub-menu.  Additionally, you will probably need to make a wood furnace so you can burn some chopped wood into charcoal to fuel the process.  You will need at least two units of fuel per pick, one to smelt the ore into metal bars at the smelter, and one for the forge to make the bar pliant so it can be worked into a pick. 

Even though you have some picks now, it never hurts to have a few extra ones lying around, just in case.  :)

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 01:58:46 am »

I do plan on doing all that, I'm just not quite there with my settlement yet.

jedrek_burak

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 07:47:01 am »

Are you using Dwarf Therapist? In which case, did you click "Commit Changes"? I didn't do it the first time I played and wondered for a while if none of my dwarves liked me or what.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »

I experimented with other things in the stocks menu and I can't zoom to any of them.
Are the things in the list written in grey, or in tan / blue / red / dark purple?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2