Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Macros and Laziness  (Read 2125 times)

babies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Macros and Laziness
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:38:24 pm »

Does anyone have any favorite macros they like to use to power level a new adventurer? Knapping and Throwing can be incredibly tedious, as is beating a paraplegic night creature's legs with a training axe until you pass out from exhaustion, waking only to start anew.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Macros and Laziness
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:15 am »

Knapping doesn't seem to increase adventure's power at all, so skip that one because it's very long process.

For Ambush and Swimming.. start your adventure at least 7 swimming, go into "Sneak" mode (Shift S) and then go into river (Alt Arrow).. go to one of wall, press 2 directions and hold them.. LEFT and RIGHT, or UP and DOWN against wall.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:54:17 am by ventuz »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:27:57 am »

Just make sure you get out of the water if you see any carp.

Videonfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you should fear the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:08 am »

Or dont freeze
You just can't trust allies

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:36:02 pm »

I recently got into the habit of going out into the wilderness, finding a small animal like a turkey or groundhog, putting away my weapon (don't know why, but I do it anyways) and using wrestling to grab hold of it. Then, I lay down and mash the "." key to keep skipping turns and letting the animal try to hit me. Trains up dodging and also shield (but most of the hits will be dodged, so shield doesn't go nearly as much). Also trains up armor-using if you're wearing any. Now, I'm wondering what happens if you combine it with the swimming method and grab a fish instead...

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 04:23:24 am »

I dare you to grab a carp and let it hit at you for multiple turns.

In all seriousness; knapping + throwing ad infinitum. Knapping seems to boost kinaesthetic and spatial sense like crazy. The throwing also increases focus I think. Apart from that I typically strangle elephants for hours at a time.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:43:26 am »

I just put away my weapons, get some armor, and macro "." once I find some honey badgers. Great way to train that skill.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16:05 am »

I made an autohotkey script with loops for ambusher, knapping, throwing and wrestling powerleveling, I like powerleveling knapping because it increases your spatial an kinesthetic senses, with the script you just find a nice spot inside a fortress (for added protection) on a tile with endless small rocks, hit the key combination and watch you little guy endlessly make sharp rocks and then throw them until told otherwise, you'll reach legendary on knapping, throwing and archer in about 30 minutes taking into account sleeping pauses.

The ambusher loop is just walking back and forth of course and obviously can also be used for swimming, and the wrestling one requires you to find a peaceful animal that won't try and attack you preferentially, the nice thing is that it keeps taking the animal down so unless it manages to jump or roll away it will stay put, allowing the loop to continue non assisted, it does require a bit of babysitting though, but at least you don't have to keep pressing the boat load of buttons required for every single move.

Unfortunately cheesing the game like this is the only way I found of surviving more than 10 minutes per character :p.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:19:56 am by onarum »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »

I made an autohotkey script with loops for ambusher, knapping, throwing and wrestling powerleveling, I like powerleveling knapping because it increases your spatial an kinesthetic senses, with the script you just find a nice spot inside a fortress (for added protection) on a tile with endless small rocks, hit the key combination and watch you little guy endlessly make sharp rocks and then throw them until told otherwise, you'll reach legendary on knapping, throwing and archer in about 30 minutes taking into account sleeping pauses.

The ambusher loop is just walking back and forth of course and obviously can also be used for swimming, and the wrestling one requires you to find a peaceful animal that won't try and attack you preferentially, the nice thing is that it keeps taking the animal down so unless it manages to jump or roll away it will stay put, allowing the loop to continue non assisted, it does require a bit of babysitting though, but at least you don't have to keep pressing the boat load of buttons required for every single move.

Unfortunately cheesing the game like this is the only way I found of surviving more than 10 minutes per character :p.
Aye, we want to live sometimes, but you will have to experience Fun eventually. It's better sooner than later, when you regret dying after training those skills for half an hour.

Besides, on those rare occasions that you do live longer, you treasure that moment... and then you get annihilated by some random bandits called the Rape of Doors.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:09:26 pm »

Aye, we want to live sometimes, but you will have to experience Fun eventually. It's better sooner than later, when you regret dying after training those skills for half an hour.

Besides, on those rare occasions that you do live longer, you treasure that moment... and then you get annihilated by some random bandits called the Rape of Doors.

Believe me, "fun" occurs even when cheesing, I ignorantly left my last guy unattended for too long while knapping away inside a fortress walls and bogeymen attacked him (I though that wouldn't happen since I was inside the fortress), luckily the soldiers weren't sleeping yet and came out to help, which gave me  time to run to the safe house.

And yes, losing a character after all the training is frustrating, like for instance having one character who had singlehandedly killed dozens of night creatures be killed by a single shot to the head with a boning fork that somehow managed to go through a iron helm and 2 iron caps.... but it's still not as frustrating as dying or getting severely crippled on your first couple of fights.