Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploring/viewing the map  (Read 357 times)

Swi1ch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Exploring/viewing the map
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:50 am »

Hi guys just started playing this today.

My issue is that I can't move my camera to see any more of that map outside of the 22x22 region grid on the right side of my interface. This is OK for above ground but i'm rapidly running out of horrizontal space underground.

I'm not entirely sure at this point whether i'm missing something or if it's...a feature of some sort. I assume the whole world is bigger than this though.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring/viewing the map
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:35:57 am »

You only have acces to the area you selected in the embark screen. There is a LOT of underground - so many layers that most of us tend to build down rather than sideways.
This is a blank sig.

Swi1ch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:54 am »

Oh wow ok. I managed to get an area with shallow metals/deep metals/flux. If I hadn't would I be completely deprived of these assets with area selection then?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:16:17 am »

Yes, probably. The site finder does have some errors like sometimes showing metals were there are none and sometimes showing none when there are some, but it's mostly right. When you don't have something in your starting location, you'll have to trade for it. But don't worry, lack of interesting minerals is a challenge that leads to fun... or Fun :P
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!