Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who should write next?

Claimed Slots (in order)
- 6 (25%)
Whoevers around and actively writing can claim (while writing)
- 13 (54.2%)
Everybody posts! The one that gets the most support is real!
- 5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Collaboration: A Write Your Own Adventure  (Read 6571 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Collaboration: A Write Your Own Adventure
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 10:15:56 am »

I've voted for Drama, but really I'd like my vote to be counted as not comedy, simply because of the amount of internet people I've seen that think silly/random/nonserious equals comedy, when most of the time it's just daft. That said, looking forward to this, I was once part of a forum that was basically dedicated to this sort of thing. "The Complete Tales," if there are any other wanderers from that place.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 01:47:46 pm »

There is a good reason I put comedy and "nonsense/silly" as two completely different things, heh.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »

Also, we'll wait a wee bit more before we get started, but it looks like we're going to be doing a dramatic tragedy. I'm pretty sure a bunch of Horror falls under here too, so keep that in mind!

Anyways, people should start coming up with ideas for themes and settings, and support those they approve of! When we've got a couple popular ones, I'll put it up to a vote.

I'll start with a (crappy) proposal:
Near-future tragedy, set in a Detroit which is falling into ruins, and has been fenced in to keep the 'criminal elements' from spilling into the rest of the state. The only sign of progress is the enormous facilities built by the cities current, not publicly known corporate sponsor, walled gardens with those on the outside completely unaware of what's being done within. Life is a struggle, but our small group has banded together with the plan of breaking into one of these enclaves, posing as employees until they can escape the city.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:10:08 pm by GlyphGryph »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 02:07:39 pm »

What exactly do you mean by theme? It's kinda vague, y'know.

EDIT: In any case, I think it might be cool to have an atmosphere or feel like in Enki Bilal's Nikopol and other comics - you've probably never heard of him, but oh well. The setting's quite dark/dystopian and pretty strange at points. I won't be able to explain it any better, so I'll give you dark and bizarre, preferably in a near-future or scifi setting. Durr.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:21:28 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 03:01:38 pm »

It's vague on purpose. But yes, sort of the feel of the story I suppose. Basically, nows the point where we start talking about what sort of direction we want the story to go in :P

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »

It could lead to the main characters getting captured and thrown in some type of prison, resulting in them trying to break out.

Either way I really like the backstory :D
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 03:09:26 pm »

I think it might be refreshing to try a generic fantasy 'journey' story. There's nothing wrong with simple plots, and it would give us a general goal or path to follow, more or less. Or not necessarily fantasy, but a journey somewhere/looking for something/taking something somewhere could be pretty fun.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »

Due English not being my native language, I think I'll stay on the suggesting crowd on this one. Definitely going to watch this. Also voted for Tragedy/Drama. There are way too much silly things on this forum already.

I like Digital Hellhounds idea. Make an interesting Tragedy/Drama in a cliché fantasy world.

EDIT: Screw that; Maybe have the story take place in Victorian era, protagonist being colonizer in Africa. Maybe Brit in South Africa?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:19:41 pm by anzki4 »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 03:16:18 pm »

I suppose fantasy could work, im alot better at writing fantasy anyways.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 03:21:19 pm »

I was thinking doing a "colonial" story would be cool as well, though I was thinking mesoamerica instead of Africa. Africa might be fun though!

Anyways, I'll second the "colonial story" thing.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:24 pm »

Hmm, I might vote for a colonial sci-fi. Take the colony type story, and put it in a fantasy world/sci fi planet. A group of people struggling to come to terms with the wilds around them, as well as uncovering secrets of their new homes, and just surviving every day life.

As to taking a writing spot. I suppose I'm interested, but would rather know where the plot and theme is going to be centered around. Some things will be easily more interesting to me than others. If anything my year of being a creative writing major has taught me that I need to have a strong interest in what I am writing about, or I tend not to see it through.

I'd rather not go with any sort of Present Day, or Near-future scenario, as it seems far too mundane for my liking. It's the same reason I like most anime, I like the absurd, the things that are really beyond every day life. It doesn't have to be nonsense or comedic(beyond perhaps some well placed comic relief), in fact I prefer it more when the story takes itself seriously with it's absurdity.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 03:46:35 pm »

I wasn't actually thinking that protagonist wouldn't be one of the first colonizers, but there would be cities, villages and farms already (by both "civilized" and native people.)

Maybe protagonist would be working for a mining company, and would have been sent to establish a successful mine to some huge gold/coal/iron/whatever vein that has been found earlier. The vein itself could be deeper in Africa (or whatever the place is), where "civilization" has not yet arrived.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 03:59:21 pm »

what about an ucronic narrative?
what would have happened if...

being italian, the first thought would be, "the roman empire did not succumb to germanic forces, effectively conquering the entire world. Americas were discovered by legions. Then, with time and discoveries, the empire split in central empire (europe) oriental empire (asia-russia) and western empire (americas) in an era were people fight with the use of steel and swords, were phalanx are at the order of day, and where coal and steel are used, what would happen if one of the three empires began inventing a gun?"

or it could be a really dark modern age, where something, however, stirs. It might be political unrest, or a strange thing (like, in a city, all are born blond with blue eyes), or something awry or strange.
And maybe with a "group" of protagonist and POV's (point of views) so, one of them is witty and sarcastic, and gets the comical reliefs (like in george martin, tyrion is the kind of chapter were you get to laugh)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 05:44:05 pm »

If we go for the colony idea, we could try to invert it, subjugating a modern Earth to an advanced alien race. A race with its own intentions and, behind the scenes, its own fighting factions. Join one of the sides, maybe? Main characters join different sides? Betrayal and plot-twist? Make up alien tech as we go along? Should be fun, or not.
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 06:20:09 pm »

If we go for the colony idea, we could try to invert it, subjugating a modern Earth to an advanced alien race. A race with its own intentions and, behind the scenes, its own fighting factions. Join one of the sides, maybe? Main characters join different sides? Betrayal and plot-twist? Make up alien tech as we go along? Should be fun, or not.

This sounds cool, if we go for a colonial theme I definitely support it mostly being from the perspective of those whose land is being colonised, regardless of the actual genre. Sci-fi or fantasy gets the votes for me, though I'm better at writing fantasy than I am at technobabble.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8