Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tragic Tale of the Hero of Mythical Dimension (Not Complete)  (Read 784 times)

Katonta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Preface:

This is a story, plainly enough, about an adventurer that I had who simply amazed me and I felt he had to be shared. Because this happened a little bit ago, some of the details are a little fuzzy, and I don't remember his name at all, so some areas may be a little fictionalized, but these are minor, fairly irrelevant areas. The core of the story, though, remains true and the major events leading up to his death have been unaltered.

With that complete, feel free to sit back, grab a nice mug of Dwarven ale, some cheese maybe, and enjoy the Tragic Tale of the Hero of Mythical Dimension (the name of that world is real, and I feel blessed that the random name generator would give me such a cool name!)

Chapter 1

It was late in the year 125, and the Hero had smiled to himself. Never in his life did the Hero believe he would be where he was today. Less than a year ago, the Hero had left his home with nothing more than the sword in his hand, the clothes on his back, and the dreams in his head. He still remembered convincing a few friends at the local castle to come with him on his first quest to slay the bride of a Night Monster. How green the Hero had been, charging in with no regard for safety, lopping off more limbs due to luck than actual intent. She had been cut down, though. Her and every other monster in his way.

News of his deeds spread quickly across Mythical Dimension as his acts became greater and greater with more travelers joining him every day. Soon, the Hero had his own personal army who sang his praises and eagerly told tales of the Rocs and Minotaurs and Night Creatures he had defeated. Certainly no one believed that the Hero had accomplished these things at first glance. Yes, he was muscular, but not a scar seemed to tarnish his body. And indeed, the Hero had never been damaged in any of the battles he had been in. He took great pride in being able to lop off the limbs of his enemies before his enemies could so much as lift their own weapons.

Now, the Hero was preparing to travel far to the east, almost to the edge of the very country he had grown up in. There was a tale of a fierce Titan hiding himself away in a shrine, venturing out to terrorize a nearby village before stealing away to it's home. The Hero had been tasked with felling this beast by the Queen herself at the capital. All that was left to do was gather up supplies and leave.

As the hero was making his last round of the stores, his eyes came upon a young lad sitting in the corner of the store, working away on some small craft with extreme precision. The lad had brown, almost mahogany hair and tanned skin and was otherwise unremarkable, but something stood out to the Hero that caused him to pause, "You there, young lad in the corner!" The boy looked up, startled for a moment, wondering who had talked. The Hero walked up to him, "Yes, you with the crafts. What's your name, son?"

"Johnny, sir," the boy said, not flinching when the Hero came up to him.

"Well, Johnny, I'm sure you've heard of me?"

"Of course, sir. You're the hero of Mythical Dimension. There isn't anyone here that hasn't."

"Good. Then I'm sure you know that I'm headed out east tomorrow and-"

"Yes, of course I know you are. You're the hero of Mythical Dimension. There isn't anyone here that hasn't."

The Hero sighed, taming the faint annoyance he felt at the repetition from Johnny, not to mention being interrupted, "Yes, I'm glad you know what I'm doing. Anyways, I seem to find myself a person short in my company and you strike me as the kind of lad who thirsts for adventure. Would you like to come with me?"

"Oh yes, sir! I would love to come with you!"

"Well then, pack your bags kid. We leave in an hour."

(I'm going to pause right there for now. I'll finish up this segment at a slightly later date.

Also, excuse the slightly detail-less writing. The beginning of this story is where I'm most uncertain about and I tend to err on the side of less detail than more when it comes to describing things in Dwarf Fortress. More detail will be added as I job my memory and as the story progresses)

Katonta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Tragic Tale of the Hero of Mythical Dimension (Not Complete)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

(Reserved just in case)